Tips for a new-ish Mi* Pilot

Hey All,

Just so you know, i can fly the huey like a boss... well middle management at least... can come in low and fast, pull it up and park it on the deck...

Sooo, just learned the Mi8 and am trying to land it on the carrier... When i try to do a controlled descent, like a few meters per second, it seems to lose power very fast.

If i do manage to catch it, its always gaining altitude. Like it has plenty of power but doesn't want to land?

Any tips from the guys driving this for a while on just landing from a high hover?

I keep hitting the deck so hard its bruising my ego...

cheers

James

"A few meters per second" might be a few too much. The tip from the real Mi-8 manuals is not to exceed 3 m/s descent rate and not to drop collective below 3 degrees during approaches. Sure, you can get away with less collective for short time if the forward speed is good enough but when slowing down for transition, I certainly wouldn't suggest descending faster. VSI, either the analog one, or the Doppler one, should be the most important instrument during landing for you.

This flying bus gets into VRS abruptly, and recovering at low altitudes is rather impossible - after all, keep in mind it's about three times heavier than the Huey. Just plan your manoeuvres earlier than in Huey and fly it somewhat smoother.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Tip number one. Learn to fly this thing loaded heavy. It's easier to fly when it's heavy.

Tip number two. Don't confuse the shaking just shy of 50kph as vrs. This bird vibrates when moving in and out of transitional lift.

Tip number three. You can yank and bank this bird just like the Huey. Don't be afraid to pitch the nose up sixty degrees to slow down.

Good luck and have fun. When I hear people tell me they can't slow this thing down I ask them to show me. Then I show them. You just can't be scared to pitch it around pretty violently. You will crash and die a few times. You'll chop of the tail a few times. But you will learn and it will make you a better pilot because of it.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, i was a lot smoother last night and had more success. I did think all the vibration was letting me know i was running out of lift. Getting used to her boundaries and just needed to descend much slower than i can get away with in the KA and the Huey, from a hover anyway.

She might be bigger, but lots of power and much faster. Enjoying learning how to pilot her well.

Its probably somewhere already, are we getting same cockpit multiplayer for the Mi8?

The vibration is a very handy reminder that you are about to enter a very critical stage of the flight and a quick and constant split second referencing of the Doppler speed gauge and VVI are required.... it becomes second nature after a while, zoom out to a wide field of view so you can gather information and flight direction with the flick of the eye.

One hint is to only activate the directional AP once the airframe is trimmed proper for your given speed and altitude. Blade stall is right and she requires a left trim in forward flight, level the Artificial horizon and don't fight the pedals when applying massive amounts of collective and trying to align your intended direction. Level her, set collective for level flight once you reach the required altitude and with close to no pedal input the ball should be centred, then engage the directional AP.

Always disengage the heading AP before large collective work is required!

She is a superbly designed machine and is absolutely fit for purpose.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I can give you this advice none gave you earlier yet. Approach to spot you want to land on in way that you are few meters above it once you reach hower state, so you dont need to descend 50 mteres but only like 5. As faster you fly forward, faster you can safely descend. Just once in hower keep it around -3m/s. With a bit of practice you will land in way that once you get in hower you will be almost on ground :)

Mi8 pilot of [VODKA] squadron

Don't use autopilot adjustment (under special options). This gives headache in level/cruise flight.

I would disagree. With the option on, AI flight engineer adjusts channels nicely - especially in cruise flight, that's what the option is for. I admit he's not always fast enough in transition phases, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I would disagree. With the option on, AI flight engineer adjusts channels nicely - especially in cruise flight, that's what the option is for. I admit he's not always fast enough in transition phases, though.

No, not the channel. Some invisible ghost is playing with control stick. I might have wrote the wrong term since I am at work and can't remember it :doh:

This space is available for your advertisement

Roll and Pitch AP is the only true friend you need at all times... Roll and pitch love you long time..... they are the best things you will know in your MI-8 career.... they see you around... they love you long time.

All that other AP crap is computer algorithm hell that is only useful when man tells it is useful.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

^ Ah, you probably meant "control helper" option then.

Im going to reinstall the Mi-8, just to take a break from flying the WWII stuff.

Two questions:

1) The above option, ON or OFF? (Please take note it's been more than a year since I've flown the Hip)

2) Chuck's guide. Is it up again? Can someone send me their copy, if anyone has one?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

1) I'd suggest OFF, as it probably works kinda like "auto-rudder" in warbirds, partially controlling the AC for you (but, as in case of warbirds, when both player and computer are trying to control primary axes at the same time, confusing things can happen :D);

2) No idea if guides are up again, and if the Mi-8 one would be up-to-date (re. sling-loading, gunners). I can check if I still have it somewhere when I get back home.

EDIT - apparently, Chuck fixed all the links yesterday:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Edited by Art-J

EDIT - apparently, Chuck fixed all the links yesterday:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Yup, just saw that. Thanks. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.