DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

I really enjoyed reading that article! Thanks for posting. However, despite the minor confusion over canopies doh.gif the author did make an error about the Corsair's first combat off of a carrier. He writes that, "FAA Corsairs performed their first combat action on 3 April 1944, with Number 1834 Squadron flying from the HMS VICTORIOUS to help provide cover for a strike on the German super-battleship TIRPITZ in a Norwegian fjord. This was apparently the first combat operation of the Corsair off of an aircraft carrier."

VF-17 participated in the Battle of the Solomon Sea on 1 November '43 where they provided CAP for the carriers Essex, Independence and Bunker Hill while their embarked air groups attacked Rabaul. In the course of that mission the entire VF-17 contingent recovered aboard the carrier (without incident) to rearm and refuel and then were launched again to intercept a large inbound raid of which they accounted for 18.5 kills. pilotfly.gif

Not to mention the F4U-2 night fighter detachments from VF(N)-101 that regularly operated from USS Intrepid and USS Enterprise in February 1944.

• 1 month later...

Cobra, with Wags' recent announcement that the merger of 1.5 and 2.0 being delayed until the Georgia map is brought up to their T4 standard.

Announcement from Wags:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2851944&postcount=1

Is there any chance that we could get the Corsair in DCS before the merger and the Iwo Jima Map?

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 2 months later...

Nice plane

Pretty good idea with the wings.......a aircraft carrier plane without a doubt.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

This probably will not make the -1 series in dcsas this was not used in combat

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

This probably will not make the -1 series in dcsas this was not used in combat

The F4U-1 series includes the F4U-1, F4U-1C, F-4U-1D and F-4U-1A postwar designation. The F4U-1 was the first to be used in combat in the Solomon Islands and included the birdcage and revised canopy versions with the new engines.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The "not used in combat" was in reference to the swing arm launchers in the gif. Not in reference to the corsair not being used.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Tiny Tim Rocket Testing.

Thank you for posting the video and bringing some life back to this thread! The Tiny Tim Rocket looks like the grandfather of the AGM-65! It's amazing to think about some of the technology that they were coming up with and testing back then.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Thank you for posting the video and bringing some life back to this thread! The Tiny Tim Rocket looks like the grandfather of the AGM-65! It's amazing to think about some of the technology that they were coming up with and testing back then.

Tiny Tim is not guided and is an anti-ship weapon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Tiny Tim is not guided and is an anti-ship weapon.

Yes, my comment was more of a joke than anything. However, while the Navy wanted to use the Tiny Tim as an anti-ship rocket, it was originally developed as a bunker-buster and in it's limited combat use in WWII, was used against a variety of ground targets as well. I do wonder about it's accuracy and success rate against smaller targets such as tanks though and do see it as a better weapon against a large target such as a ship.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Only two carriers groups units were equipped with Air-to-ground rockets Tiny Tim, one was Franklin and second was VFB 10 from Intrepid.

Franklin was badly hit by Suisei dive bomber and left, only Corsairs from Intrepid used them during pre-invasion strikes against Okinawa.

but "The rockets were subsequently withdraw as a inaccurate and unreliable."

according to "The F4U in World War II and Korea" by Barrett Tillman

p.s. may be, they were used again later, but i currently read chapter relating to Okinawa campaign :)

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 1 month later...
Was there any update provided about the Corsair in the recent LNS livestream?

Not in the livestream, but the question came up in the AMA-session on reddit that followed after the livestream:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, quite sad turnout. Seems nothing to look for in next few months. Hopefully they will eventually come back with some news.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

To me, this AC was THE aircraft in it's day. Nothing compared to it. Where do I sign up????????????????

Don't get hyped both K4 and D9 are faster. Sure it is a good airplane, especially a good ground pounder. To me the visibility to the back disqualifies it as great fighter, even though it has very good flying qualities. But I wish we would get it sooner. It is an icon and actually a good plane that could open lots of new posibilities to make missions. Especially if LN brings a new theater to play in and an adversary :3

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Don't get hyped both K4 and D9 are faster. Sure it is a good airplane, especially a good ground pounder. To me the visibility to the back disqualifies it as great fighter, even though it has very good flying qualities. But I wish we would get it sooner. It is an icon and actually a good plane that could open lots of new posibilities to make missions. Especially if LN brings a new theater to play in and an adversary :3

And a carrier to crash, I mean land into.......

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

To me, this AC was THE aircraft in it's day. Nothing compared to it. Where do I sign up????????????????

Stand in line there buddy, no breaking the queue... ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Neither the Dora nor the 109K were faster than a Corsair......

BF-109K: Speeds at various altitudes, from the "History of War" webpage

319 mph maximum combat speed at 0 feet

415 mph maximum combat speed at 27,700 feet

360 mph maximum emergency speed at 0 feet

440 mph maximum emergency speed at 24,750 feet

296 mph optimum cruise at 0 feet

400 mph optimum cruise at 27,559 ft

FW-190D: This is from the Luftwaffe and their testing of the A/C!!

Level Speed Summary

Combat Power Take-off Power

Sea Level 331 mph 341 mph

Full Throttle Height 398 mph at 19,357 413 mph at 20,177

F4U-4: Now, I went with the -4 because both the Dora and Kurfurst are also late model super variants of their type......this info is from the EAA website.

Type: F4U-4

Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney R-2800-18W 18 cylinder, twin row, air-cooled radial

Horsepower: 2,450 hp

Cruise Speed: 215 mph

Maximum Speed (Sea Level): 446 mph

I couldn't find one for it's ceiling, which is 36,000ft in normal flying config, and closer to 41K with it lightened up on fuel, but I imagine the speeds would have been similar since the PW engine had a 3 stage super charger AND it was the same engine to be found in the P-47.....also a fighter that was as good or better than German fighters at and above 35K ft.

~S

Not sure what F4U-4 has to do with it, since we are getting F4U-1D. Neither do I understand what 30,000+ ft has to do with anything, since nobody is even flying above 20,000 ft.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7