DCS and Pimax

Wags

That kind of speaks for itself. What else would it be?

Yes agreed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

He said that flight sims and Unreal engine games look really jaggy at 1.0

Only starting at 1.5 does it sharpen up, 2.0 is best.

I find it very hard to believe that this is the case (that a higher PD setting is necessary). Even Rift at 1.0 PD looks fine, especially with antialiasing.

The 5k+ is bound to look much better at 1.0 than the Rift at 1.0. If it doesn't, something is off.

Using PD settings on the Pimax 5k+ any higher than 1.0 is truly ludicrous from a performance point of view, so it's absolutely no wonder Sweviver said the game runs terribly.

Some numbers for perspective:

Oculus Rift

1080x1200 per eye = approx. 2.6 million pixels

Pimax 5k+/8k

2560×1440 per eye = approx. 7.3 million pixels (this is already incredibly demanding)

PD of 2.0 = 14.7 million pixels (insane)

To simulate the performance impact of the Pimax with the Rift you'd need a PD setting of over 2.8! A PD of 2.0 on the Pimax would be over 5.6 for the Rift!!!

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I find it very hard to believe that this is the case (that a higher PD setting is necessary). Even Rift at 1.0 PD looks fine, especially with antialiasing.

The 5k+ is bound to look much better at 1.0 than the Rift at 1.0. If it doesn't, something is off.

Using PD settings on the Pimax 5k+ any higher than 1.0 is truly ludicrous from a performance point of view, so it's absolutely no wonder Sweviver said the game runs terribly.

Some numbers for perspective:

Oculus Rift

1080x1200 per eye = approx. 2.6 million pixels

Pimax 5k+/8k

2560×1440 per eye = approx. 7.3 million pixels (this is already incredibly demanding)

PD of 2.0 = 14.7 million pixels (insane)

To simulate the performance impact of the Pimax with the Rift you'd need a PD setting of over 2.8! A PD of 2.0 on the Pimax would be over 5.6 for the Rift!!!

Yes but 8k fov is higher so more pixels are required for the same image quality. Likely 2.0 is way too much tho.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That kind of speaks for itself. What else would it be?

Hi,

according to this thread, its not, at least the rendered resolution is not the nativ resolution. But the picture is allways rendered bigger to surpress black corners at the edge if you turn your head before the next picture is rendered. You can see that on the loading screen. The rendering stops but the tracking is still working. If you now start thinking about the roll axis, the pixels of the rendered picture will never match exectly the pixels of the vr headset. I would guess that rendering the picture and finemovement of the tracking is decoupled from each other to suppress motion sickness.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/51256/pixel-density-examples

greetings

Merlin

Yes but 8k fov is higher so more pixels are required for the same image quality. Likely 2.0 is way too much tho.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Even though the FOV is larger, the visual pixel density is also higher (than Rift) on both the 5k and the 8k.

It should be a larger FOV as well as better image quality.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Pimax8K without native 4K rez is pointless but have to mention when, not if, they made available 4K on 60Hz as native resolution for an 8K model that could be the game changer and we could get a much better picture than it is now on the 5K model.

Have in mind that in 8K model you have to upgrade resolution which is then downgraded and again upgraded so you must have some loses and there is why this clarity issue. Best will be the native resolution of the display as native output resolution, what does a case in 5K and thats from this clarity come.

But I want to say that Pimax8KX have potential because there will be no need for high SS so we could expect similar performance as it is now with 8K but with much better picture and clarity.

Have just seen last review from Berlin. It seems due to upscaling issues that the pimax 5k plus is the way to go.

Unfortunately the Sweviver DCS review on the YouTube on the 2:23 mark shows bad frame rates even with gtx 1080Ti. Do we have to wait longer, or go for expensive gpu cards or even for professional vs as the XTAL VR headset? Aerofly and Sturmovik have no problems with pimax 5 +, only DCS and Xplane

Don't forget what has been said earlier in this very same thread. SweViver was using his headset with a Pixel Density set at 2.0, this is insane and incredibly taxing for any computer. A more reasonable PD should easily increase the FPS counter.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Are any 8K backers switching to 5K+ on this DCS thread? The latest reviews make me want to switch to the 5K+. Will PIMAX software be able to help the 8K with clarity?

I am for this reason. DK2 to CV1 was more than a year. It's been more than a year since I got the CV1. So I'm going to assume that it'll be more than a year before "something better" than Pimax comes out. And I'm including CPU/GPU in that cycle.

So I'll just enjoy the 5K+ clarity and little over a year from now, there will be new GPU that can handle the native 4K per eye (?) or the new Rift.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don't forget what has been said earlier in this very same thread. SweViver was using his headset with a Pixel Density set at 2.0, this is insane and incredibly taxing for any computer. A more reasonable PD should easily increase the FPS counter.

Yeah, but at what expense? Martin says it looks really bad at PD 1.0, even IL2.

I hope he posts some video of that to get a better idea.

Yeah, but at what expense? Martin says it looks really bad at PD 1.0, even IL2.

I hope he posts some video of that to get a better idea.

Yeah I saw that too, I would find that pretty darn concerning.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are any 8K backers switching to 5K+ on this DCS thread? The latest reviews make me want to switch to the 5K+. Will PIMAX software be able to help the 8K with clarity?

I am 90% sure that I am. The 8K is probably not going to get clearer as it is a limitation of the upscaler chip.

Edit: The emotional rollercoaster continues:

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Sounds like the 5k+ is the most recent version from their lessons learned.

Text of email:

Hi Futurists,

We have the final hardware versions ready for you.

Pimax 8K is the next generation headset, the only headset with SDE eliminated and FOV enlarged. We have reached the goal we set for ourselves.

It was a long journey full of challenges and surprises.

The team regards 8K as the next generation enthusiast headset and 5K as a light version of 8K. During the Kickstarter roadshows last year, the gap between 5K and 8K was obvious.

In May 2018, we seized the opportunity to create a new model with the improved panel and spent the next 3 months to test and improve the model. Before the Berlin Meetup, the new model surpassed the expectations of everyone, including the R&D team.

Before we decided to bring the new model to the testers and backers in Berlin, we had an intensive argument internally, quite a few team members thought it might confuse people, thus against the idea of releasing the new model right away.

However, the whole purpose of the team is to deliver the best possible VR immersion experience to backers asap, and whatever fits in that purpose is the right thing to do.

The final decision is not to hide, but to make the new model available for each one of you, our backers.

We named the new model 5K+. You are now free to pick the best model for yourself.

For the first batch, we have prepared both 5K+ and 8K. We will ship the models to you as your Kickstarter rewards based on your choices.

The support team has already reached out to the early backers from #1 to #100 to double check the shipping details. Every 8K / X backer will get the chance to switch to 5K+. Also, every 5K backer will receive the new 5K+ model instead of 5K and have the chance to switch to 8K as well.

You can now start to think about your own choices already:

• If you are an 8K / X backer and decide to keep 8K, we would suggest the graphics cards GTX1080ti or higher for you to run demanding games with 8K.
  • If you are an 8K / X backer and decide to switch to 5K+, we will provide you $100 coupon to purchase accessories (modules etc.) in our online store. Stay tuned for the pre-order of headsets and accessories: eepurl.com/cCSair
  • If you are a 5K backer and decide to switch to 8K, please contact support@pimaxvr.com to pay the $100 price difference.
  • If your backer number is one- or two-digit i.e. #1 - #100, please let the support team know your decision this week, so we can manage your shipment asap.
  • If you cannot make a decision yet, you are free to take your time. We can skip your backer number for now and manage your shipment later. Contact support@pimaxvr.com when you made up your mind.

You may refer to the very in-depth video reviews by our super awesome testers to make your decision:

SweViver | https://www.youtube.com/sweviver | English

VoodooDE | https://www.youtube.com/c/VoodooDE_PCGaming | German

Mixed Reality TV | https://www.youtube.com/mixedrealitytv | German/English

Yanfeng | https://media.weibo.cn/article?id=23094042852321561152191 | Chinese/English

Answers to the frequently asked questions: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/updated-0910-pimax-5k-8k-faq/7462

Steps to ship your rewards:

Step 1: We will announce the details of the new batch to ship via Kickstarter.

Step 2: Every backer will get an email from the support team. You will be able to confirm your choice(s), your address and other shipping details.

Step 3: Based on the info collected from the backers, we manage to ship the rewards.

Step 4: Repeat the steps.

VR Enthusiasts - thanks again for standing by the startup called Pimax. Your passion is the energy to drive the team and the whole industry!

VR Developers - Let's get in touch! Email us at sean.huang@pimaxvr.com, we will add you to a developer-only group for better support (link: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/c/developers).

Best Regards,

The Pimax Team

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

This is very good news indeed. Further software improvements will only bring us closer to the performance we need.

I am 90% sure that I am. The 8K is probably not going to get clearer as it is a limitation of the upscaler chip.

Seeing that video, I´m still planning to change my 8K pledge to the 5K+. Especially for DCS the more performance you can squeeze out of those headsets (GPU) the better it is. To get a stutter free game play you need to reach those 80 fps (8K) or 90 fps (5K+).

But nice to see that there are still improvements possible by tweaking the Pimax software. Still hoping for Brainwarp or some other wizardry for more performance boosts.;)

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Seeing that video, I´m still planning to change my 8K pledge to the 5K+. Especially for DCS the more performance you can squeeze out of those headsets (GPU) the better it is. To get a stutter free game play you need to reach those 80 fps (8K) or 90 fps (5K+).

But nice to see that there are still improvements possible by tweaking the Pimax software. Still hoping for Brainwarp or some other wizardry for more performance boosts.;)

I'm also leaning heavily towards the 5k+.

But are we sure that there are any performance benefits to it? If the input resolution is the same, shouldn't we be seeing better performance from the 8k, as we only need to reach 80 fps instead of 90?

I'm also leaning heavily towards the 5k+.

But are we sure that there are any performance benefits to it? If the input resolution is the same, shouldn't we be seeing better performance from the 8k, as we only need to reach 80 fps instead of 90?

Yes, of course. If you use the same Pimax tool settings and Steam VR SS setting, you are absolutely right. But, as in the tester videos said, you still need remarkable higher settings for the 8K to get the same picture quality/sharpness as with the 5K+. This is due to the upscaling process in the 8K that makes the picture a bit more blurry. Voodoo estimated in his video, that you need about 30% more calculated pixels in the 8K to get the same result as in the 5K+.

I don`t know, if this info is still valid with the new Pimax drivers shown by SweViver.

But, like you, this 80Hz vs 90Hz -thing still makes me unsure which version of the Pimax to choose.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

They are both compromises so there is no "right" answer. It looks like 5k+ will be playable in IL2 with my 1080. I may stick with that for the time beeing. I have little hope for the 2080ti beeing able to run DCS, at least initially, so i will sit on my money until someone says they got that thing running.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+