DCS 2.0 : Magnetic variation ?

Lib

You can go to skyvector.com and look at the sectional.

I did before asking.... :smartass:

North Las Vegas : 14°E

Mc Carran : 15°E

Nellis : 12°E

That's why i wanted to know which one is used in DCS.

On sectionals, also bear in mind that magnetic variation changes over time too, so check the date when you check the magnetic variation. There should be information about how much it changes annually, so you need to apply that change as well.

I suspect those seemingly disparate readings may well be down to the age difference between the charts you looked at.

Within a single region like NTTR, the difference in magnetic variation across the map should be quite insignificant.

The game will of course probably be fixed in time, so knowing what variation has been modelled is important, and then charts will not be a useful reference for magnetic variation.

• 2 years later...

Hello

after some check using DCS 2.5 directly, I found 2 things :

- magnetic variation for Nevada maps depends of location : from ouest to est, Mina Airport 12°E, Groom Lake 11°E and Mesquite 11°E too)

- magnetic variation depends of mission date also : on Groom Lake, 1987 13°E, 2011 11°E, 2018 10°E and 2035 9°E

So ED tried to modelized the reality it seems, but documentation are not relevant (for Caucasus, 6°E in 2010 for all airports, but it is not the case, more 4,5°E, 6°E will be in ~2020 I could say...) and Runway numbers are not relevant too : it indicates the Magnetic orientation and it is false sometimes (Groom Lake 325 -> 32 or it should be 33, same for Mina...), it must also change with years in that case.

My configuration:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X 3.6 Ghz RAM: 32 GB DDR4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 WindForce OC 8GB HDD: Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB HUD: ED Tracker HOTAS: Saitek X-55

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, F/A-18C, All maps (up to Persian Gulf)

cool thanks !

so in Caucasus, it is more a question of ~latitude rather than longtitude to change of declinaison

My configuration:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X 3.6 Ghz RAM: 32 GB DDR4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 WindForce OC 8GB HDD: Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB HUD: ED Tracker HOTAS: Saitek X-55

YES !! I saw that and check it in the game even up to 2150 :)

thanks

My configuration: