Valve Index - new HMD in May

cercata

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18291013/valve-index-vr-headset-product-page-early-launch-date

Display Port 1.2 confirmed, so they can't have more than 1600p at 90Hz.

Still it will be probably the best and more balanced HMD, if we take into account tracking quality and controllers, but for DCS I thing HP Reverv will be better.

Original Post:

Edited by cercata

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor is it has the same resolution of vive pro but with 135 FOV. Getting my Pimax 5K+ Tuesday but will get the HP Reverb for the resolution.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

It's all over the Oculus reddit, but after reading any number of threads; I have failed to get any hard facts other than its coming in May and has a mechanical ipd adjuster.

No idea of resolution or display type. Rumours of 135 degrees fov, might have inside out tracking, but might have lighthouse style tracking and it may have the steam knuckles controllers.

Not a lot to base any real judgment on and no idea of pricing, so no idea what market segment they are chasing either.

I will watch with interest, but so far my intention is still to go for the Reverb. However I will keep an open mind right up to pulling the trigger.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Very interesting.

Going to be an exciting spring.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Exciting times. Hope we have a winner to enjoy a descent new headset begin this summer. Time to upgrade. Ed time to release vr optimizes and Vulcan, So that we don’t have to build another new monstersystem to enjoy the full immersion of these new toys. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Exciting times. Hope we have a winner to enjoy a descent new headset begin this summer. Time to upgrade. Ed time to release vr optimizes and Vulcan, So that we don’t have to build another new monstersystem to enjoy the full immersion of these new toys. :D

Even if you build a monster system you can’t enjoy the full immersion...9900K and 2080Ti won’t drive DCS in a Pimax, until ED gets their shit together with VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The plot thickens. If the FoV of 135(?) is correct, then it's a contender.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Looks like this will be the year that VR takes at least a half step forward. Hopefully development of VR technology will start to pick up steam. ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

The plot thickens. If the FoV of 135(?) is correct, then it's a contender.

Not if it has the same resolution as the Vive Pro, 1440x1600 per eye as rumored, then it will be worse in pixel density/degree.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

1440x1600 is the smallest of the resolutions made by the two companies liked in the leak. One option is a monster 2160x2400....

2160x2400 will make it a definite buy for me, if true, and priced anyway reasonably. I was going to opt for the Reverb next month but will keep my powder dry until firm details arrive. As of now, the the sub standard Rift S is definitely a non runner. It`s firmly placed in the low to medium category in the VR stakes. It will be good for those with lower end systems, new to the genre with lower expectations.

Yeah looks like we are going to have some nice choices here in a few weeks.

Oculus has apparently passed the torch on high end PC-VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hopefully it will have the resolution comparable to the Reverb.

The Reverb specs seems like it would be a great fit for DCS allowing better cockpit clarity, the only downside is the lowish FOV which is still first gen-ish. If I’m going to buy a new headset this year it will probably be either the Reverb or the Index.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This looks interesting glad to see dev being put into this technology

BUT.... until they have something like this that uses a glass lens that is more typical of optics (like in a camera, binocular or scope) like a convex lens im not interested.

Have the SO+ and do enjoy DCS with it but based on those experiences and some basic knowledge of optics I am of the somewhat scientifically based opinion that: Increasing FOV and resolution do not matter at this time. I want to see all research go to improving optics and moving away from the Fresnel lens. I think they are using it because its cheap and provides distortion that they can work with and has suitable focal distance.

Increase in res and FOV make no difference if I have so much chromatic \ spherical aberration that i only have 60 usable FOV. Move away from the Fresnel lens, grind a decent piece of glass (doesn't have to be an apochromat but I would probably pay for that) correct for the distortion then we can talk about Res and FOV.

Not if it has the same resolution as the Vive Pro, 1440x1600 per eye as rumored, then it will be worse in pixel density/degree.

Oh. That would make it a non-contender.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But the original valve prototype had a label indicating they was testing 2 panels one from boe? And JDI. They both make very high resolution panels 1000ppi. I imagine if that is the case will be lucky to get 5fps in DCS.

Edited by nrosko

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

A little more speculation. Interesting stuff.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Don't trust too much today's leaks, it's april's fools ...

The new 1001ppi display is said to feature a 2160 × 2432 resolution packed into a 3.25 inch size format at 120Hz.

RGB, isn't it ???

That would be amazing, and HMD future proof !!!!

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

This is getting very interesting and certainly has my attention.

Don B

Well the lens technology is neat enough that im going to keep an eye on this...I would still like to see no Fresnel lens but this could be a significant improvement based on the quick patent read though. Uses inside out tracking so it tick both boxes for "things to watch for"

We shall see :)