[REPORTED] DCS Open Beta A10C Mavericks Suck

lasvideo

Yup. Now the issue still needs to be reported. Having the missile consistently getting locks at these short distances is most definitely not normal.

They tout 12 - 17nm range for mavericks IRL, under what firing conditions I know not, probably from 30,000 feet or something. I don't know what is normal, but 3nm sounds awefully short to me too.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

From what I understand an issue has been reported only when you see "[Reported]" in the title of the thread. I could be wrong though.

They tout 12 - 17nm range for mavericks IRL, under what firing conditions I know not, probably from 30,000 feet or something. I don't know what is normal, but 3nm sounds awefully short to me too.

12 - 17 NM is the max physical range of the missile, what it can achieve aerodynamicly if you will, depending on the launch altitude and speed.

7 NM is the practical range. As you know, this is what you get when trying to lock up a target and fire a missile at it. This is due to sensor limitations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

obviously it depends on the launch platform.

If you launch it from an F-18 at 20 thousand feet doing 350 knots, it will go a lot further than in an A-10.

BUT, I've noticed on some occasion (higher speed and/or in a dive with the A-10), that the range bracket goes almost up to 10nm (Mav D), but the seeker, just can not lock on the target

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

From what I understand an issue has been reported only when you see "[Reported]" in the title of the thread. I could be wrong though.

12 - 17 NM is the max physical range of the missile, what it can achieve aerodynamicly if you will, depending on the launch altitude and speed.

7 NM is the practical range. As you know, this is what you get when trying to lock up a target and fire a missile at it. This is due to sensor limitations.

Got it, thanks for the explanation on maverick, Not sure about the reporting thing, I haven't gotten into that side of things yet.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

please provide track files so ED Devs can review in detail any problems directly.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

please provide track files so ED Devs can review in detail any problems directly.

I'm not against tracks but there is something I don't quite grasp. All they need to do here is launch an instant action mission and try to fire the missile so why do they need a track? Please don't think my goal is to be annoying or anything, I'm just trying to understand.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have reported it, internally with track file.

I felt that with a listed effective range for the AGM-65D at 8-16km and AGM-65H at 5-12km as listed in the games encyclopedia and with in game results of the AGM-65D at 7.6-8.8km, AGM-65H at 3-5km under any bright light day with no fog, hot or cold temps, little cloud and no wind conditions the D was serviceable at minimum range, but the H was very sub par at below or on minimum effective range as being discussed.

Regards, Ian

DCS Tech Support.

I'm not against tracks but there is something I don't quite grasp. All they need to do here is launch an instant action mission and try to fire the missile so why do they need a track?

And then after long and tedious testing and back and forth and "I did everything by the book, just try it out!" it turns out the person reporting the problem had the switchology wrong and there was never any problem in the first place, except a player understanding things the wrong way.

This would never happen with you? Certainly not.

But it's not about you. It's about the testers and their resources.

One problem report times X number of testers trying to figure out what the problem is versus one track. If you do the math, I'm sure you'll realize that providing a track saves time for those who are supposed to recreate the problem. :thumbup:

And then after long and tedious testing and back and forth and "I did everything by the book, just try it out!" it turns out the person reporting the problem had the switchology wrong and there was never any problem in the first place, except a player understanding things the wrong way.

This would never happen with you? Certainly not.

But it's not about you. It's about the testers and their resources.

One problem report times X number of testers trying to figure out what the problem is versus one track. If you do the math, I'm sure you'll realize that providing a track saves time for those who are supposed to recreate the problem. :thumbup:

Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

A tip i always give is tap the lock button once every second. It will lock at the maximum range if you have it. If not it usually pilot error.

That's what I did. Seems logical if you're trying to find the max lock range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have reported it, internally with track file.

I felt that with a listed effective range for the AGM-65D at 8-16km and AGM-65H at 5-12km as listed in the games encyclopedia and with in game results of the AGM-65D at 7.6-8.8km, AGM-65H at 3-5km under any bright light day with no fog, hot or cold temps, little cloud and no wind conditions the D was serviceable at minimum range, but the H was very sub par at below or on minimum effective range as being discussed.

Regards, Ian

Thanks Ian. I appreciate your efforts on resolving this mav performance issue. Your communication skills and consideration of customers feelings are a model that many others could learn from. Working with customers to help resolve perceived issues is not just a "roll of the dice". Its a skill.

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Not a problem, comes from 30+ years experience in computing.

You and other fellows did all the work, you just had to convince me there was a problem. When I flew the A-10c again to test missiles the other day I was embarrassed at how long it took me to kill something. Its a real insult that the AI A-10c can maverick at 19km no problem with the H.

Having noted that last bit, I swapped out the AGM-154 cruise missiles on an F-16 for sead work (as it is useless at the moment) with a pair of AGM-65D in the F-15c bear trap campaign, and they worked a treat, no as long range as the AGM-154 but a hell of a lot faster to target.

All the best.

DCS Tech Support.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue, CCD Mavericks seem lame at least in centroid mode. I suspect it's time of day based. I'll try default calendar date and compare lock ranges with each hour to see how lock range varies with the time (daylight).

June 1, 2011

AGM-65H against AAV-7

Weather standard/clear

time, track distance nm

0800, 3.6

1000, 3.6

1200, 4.4

1400, 4.4

1600, 4.1

1800, 3.2

1900, 3.6

2000, 2.1