Understanding AWACS Messages

imacken

The game switches between BRAA and BE format based on the distance of the contact from you. For long distances it uses BE. For short distances it uses BRAA.

BE format and BRA/BRAA formats are how position information may be given. Which position information format will be used in a given type of message may vary. This is a confusion over how the word format is being used.

01 June 2018 and June 1, 2018 are both date formats even if I don't always state "The current date is _<date>_." using the same date format each time. The message is formatted to tell you <date> even if there are multiple possible formats to satisfy the information <date>. You can see I use the word "format" in two ways there, first to specify ways a type of information can be presented and second to specify the format of a message which includes a type of information.

All position calls which reference bullseye will always use the proword "bulls" or "bullseye." If the message doesn't then it is not in relation to BE. BRA/BRAA calls which reference position relative to you should use the proword "BRA/BRAA" but might not. It is safe to assume in DCS that any position not explicitly in reference to bullseye (by proword "bulls", "bullseye") is relative to you.

It is safe to assume in DCS that any position not explicitly in reference to bullseye (by proword "bulls", "bullseye") is relative to you.

I like the sound of that. A nice, simple rule!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 months later...
I like the sound of that. A nice, simple rule!

I'm currently flying the f5 single mission to defend the base. I'll make my question ultra simple as I'm new. I'd prefer to keep it simple and not have to use rulers from bullseye or any other tricky method but just learn where awacs sees bogeys and what direction to face my aircraft.

What can I say or request from awacs so that I know where bandits are from my current position using my location / jet as the main point and then all I have to do is spin the course knob so that I can hen aim towards the bandits?

Can someone help me with this?

What can I say or request from awacs so that I know where bandits are from my current position using my location / jet as the main point and then all I have to do is spin the course knob so that I can hen aim towards the bandits?

Bogey dope!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Never heard DCS switch to a BE call and back to a BRAA according to distance, it's always been consistent with me. I get BRAA's out to 120nm consistently on a requested Bogey Dope in game. Not saying it doesn't happen to you, but never personally heard it and would appreciate any details on that as I've missed it. Is it for super close POPUP's?

In game the usage is consistent as far as I've seen.

• Informational pop ups - BE
  • Informational Pictures, by request or otherwise - BE
  • Subsequent advisories direct to flight - BRAA (and AWACS updates each flight, but you cant hear the other flight calls. Enfield11 and Uzi11 get the call at the same time for two different BRAAs in game!)
  • Bogey Dopes - BRAA, always.

In game AWACS will call POPUP's for any track he just detected that wasn't previously detected for (a number of seconds I don't know).

Note that one should always ask for a picture right away in game because it gets AWACS to start sending you advisories right away. Be mindful it also sends out BRAAs simulataneously in Multiplayer to different groups on the same channel, which can be confusing and unrealistic (but incredibly effective!)

Also note I've seen occasions where being not tuned in to frequency, but having previously asked for a Picture, AWACS advisories flash up in text.

What you are saying is more pertinent to real usage. IRL the guideline for the swap over IS based on distance, but the accurate answer is that it's based on the COMMIT.

IRL:

Flights will COMMIT to a PICTURE (not a GROUP), and in any case have to react prior to 30nm according to (at least the referenced Navy) CNATRA manuals. Once a flight is committed to the picture, AWACS begins to become secondary to the flight lead in comms and the flow. The references from the COMMIT onwards are BRAA as AWACS is managing one intercept for one specific flight, thus as you say the AWACS calls change inside of 30nm from B/E to BRAA, but only based on a flight committing to the engagement. From then on; Correlation, Intercept geometry, Targeting, 30nm call, MELD, SORT, into LAR and Banzai or Abort. Which is another story.

[EDIT: I wonder if DCS uses the < 30nm standard for sending a BRAA on a POPUP, ie, trying to tell you to commit?]

The game switches between BRAA and BE format based on the distance of the contact from you. For long distances it uses BE. For short distances it uses BRAA.

BE format and BRA/BRAA formats are how position information may be given. Which position information format will be used in a given type of message may vary. This is a confusion over how the word format is being used.

01 June 2018 and June 1, 2018 are both date formats even if I don't always state "The current date is _<date>_." using the same date format each time. The message is formatted to tell you <date> even if there are multiple possible formats to satisfy the information <date>. You can see I use the word "format" in two ways there, first to specify ways a type of information can be presented and second to specify the format of a message which includes a type of information.

All position calls which reference bullseye will always use the proword "bulls" or "bullseye." If the message doesn't then it is not in relation to BE. BRA/BRAA calls which reference position relative to you should use the proword "BRA/BRAA" but might not. It is safe to assume in DCS that any position not explicitly in reference to bullseye (by proword "bulls", "bullseye") is relative to you.

Edited by Pikey
30nm variation?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys, but I remain confused. Even in this short thread, there is different advice.

In the stock F-5 Defend Airbase mission, I get bombarded with 'Dodge 1-1 (me), Wizard, BRA, 308 for 90, at 16000, Hot' type messages.

How am I supposed to know if the 308 is a heading from me or bullseye?

when you request bogey dope the data given is from your own ship. so this message means point your aircraft to heading 308° and the bandit will be 90 miles to your nose at 16000 feet and reducing because he is hot.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks, but did you not see the dozens of posts after the one you quoted?