A-10C VHF/UHF ADF Navigation and NTTR

Xoho

I recently started playing the NTTR map again,and realized that while several major airfields reference certain VOR and VORTAC beacons specifically for certain patterns, I am unable to navigate to/from them as they are not emitting any signal. (Yes I RTFM and followed the procedures) The only information I was able to find was from 2011 and 2013, and they stated that it was not yet added in. Several people I asked today also answered that only the UHF ADF works, and even then it only works with units placed in the mission editor. This seems like a major oversight if this is the case, as it seems as though it's been implemented for other modules without issue and as for the beacons, people were asking about this in 2011, 7 years ago. Are there any plans to fix this in the near future? If not, why?

Welcome to the forums Xoho

Take a look at this THREAD HERE about TACAN, Need-To-Know goes through in great detail how to be offset to a beacon and check that offset against other beacons for nav as well. This come about for the F-5 and the navigation needed in the Maple Flag » F-5E Aggressors BFM Campaign.

The F-5 only has TACAN for navigation. Need-To-Know even went and put it all in a PDF!

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here with the A-10C Xoho? Is there other missing TACAN beacons on the NTTR map?

attachment.php?attachmentid=183003&stc=1&d=1524468532

tacan12.jpg.ae5c79b2afbaa410f6e8bd430c163674.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

There might be issues with TACAN not working properly. I know it's definitely the case currently with the F-5 (the bug has been reported by the way) but it might also affect other aircrafts as well. I'm not sure.

I have just tested the ADF on the A-10C and it works but seems very buggy... I have attached a track below.

adf.trk

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FM homing only turns on the FM homing light but the ADI steering logic does not (it also should display steering bars if stowed but does not).

The ARC-168 configured as the VHF/AM radio in the A-10 does not do DF. The radio is capable of it but the airplane is not which is correct simulation.

The ARC-164 UHF AM when in (A)DF mode and tuned provides HSI needle #1 directional homing information as expected. The radio correctly does not pick up any UHF FM transmissions although perhaps UHF AM homing could be done against a UHF FM emission since it's just radio energy.

UHF homing does work for AI broadcasts (ATC tower or AI wingman) but only for the few seconds during that transmission. In the case of AI wingman you have to ask in non-ADF mode and quickly turn to ADF mode for his reply to get direction.

Ka-50 human-human DF works because Ka-50 has a push to transmit button which actually simulates transmission. It would require cooperative testing with someone in multiplayer to see if UHF homing would function as one player held his transmit switch and the other watched the #1 needle on the HSI.

===

NDB navigation in the A-10 is not available. The NDB facilities broadcast in a frequency range 0.19 to 1.75 MHz. The communication radios in the A-10 cannot tune such a low frequency. The lowest capability is 30 MHz.

===

I tested three TACAN stations at random: Creech, CDC, and Tonopah and all functioned as expected.

• Like 1

[...] realized that while several major airfields reference certain VOR and VORTAC beacons specifically for certain patterns, I am unable to navigate to/from them as they are not emitting any signal.

In my squad we've mostly flown VFR in NTTR since we switched to 2.5, but I'm not aware of any problems with VORTAC or TACAN stations. Specifically, I'm pretty sure Nellis (KLSV) TACAN 12X works just fine. Last time we've flown across NTTR using nothing but VORTAC/TACAN, it also worked flawlessly, but I think that was back in 2.2.

If you can be a little more specific which stations and which channels you refer to, we could double check.

I was trying to use the BLD VORTAC just southeast of Mc Carren Intl. As for the VHF homing, you have to be in FM, not AM to receive guidance. Pg 611 in the A-10C manual details the procedure.

It is possible I was not on the right freq, however I was using the missed approach pattern for RWY 25R in the kneeboard pages. It specifies to climb to 3250 ft, then begin a right climbing turn direct to BLD VORTAC which is southeast of the airfield. Ch. 114X for TACAN, and 116.7 for the VHF DF homing.

After testing, it turns out I misread the chart and was attempting to use a different beacon that was out of my LOS. So TACAN works, however the VHF homing does not. Someone mentioned that VOR and the VHF DF homing are not compatible, but I don't see why not. If someone could clarify that would be great. My understanding is that a VOR beacon is essentially a more accurate NDB, and while NDB works with UHF frequencies, which you can tune to with the UHF ADF radio settings, I assumed VOR beacons can be tracked by tuning in with the VHF DF radio settings since it also uses VHF frequencies.

In the meantime I switched to the Caucuses map to practice my IFR stuff, and ran into a new issue where the kneeboard information does not match the .pdf charts in the docs folder, or in game frequencies for the various airfield towers. However that's a different issue entirely and is easily remedied. I'm just wondering if maybe the VOR beacon frequency I'm trying to tune into is out of date for NTTR, and I am unsure of where to find the pdf files detailing the various airport charts.

Edited by Xoho
Left out bit of info/question