Why is it so hard to determine best hardware?

So I've seen so many discussions on what's the best CPU GPU RAM Motherboard etc... etc... etc...

I'm sort of curious why it's so hard to determine the best hardware for DCS, or for any other game, I guess.

I guess DCS is unique in that it works a bit differently than most games like... I don't know, Witcher 3 and Hitman, etc... in that it's very single core CPU hungry.

Nah I don’t think Wags is a PC connoisseur, probably got a similar budget to many on here.

I don’t think you will get a straight answer mate, the biggest consensus is a SSD is a must, >16gb ram.

The next depends on your screen, I run a 2600k at 3.8mhz with an older GPU and because I play on a 28” 1920x1080 monitor it runs fine for me.

Again it depends on your budget.

Ps yes, very confusing! I was all set with my new rig on paper until they stopped making the 1080ti!

Edited by Mr_Burns

My thinking is that there is no best hardware as such especially for VR and yes single core usage is the limiting factor for us currently also and again especially for VR GPU is limiting as well.

I'm looking at either an upgrade or new PC but it really is getting to the pointy end of diminishing returns.

The PC build also depends on what price your willing to pay for what performance.

For example I'd be keen for a i9 9900K but given it's price (including a new mother board) and well "a maybe" I might get 5.2Ghz I can see the $ vaporizing away given that I could expect a several % increase in performance, the down side I loose memory bandwidth over my existing CPU. :(.

@Mr_Burns. I'm hearing you there rtx 2080Ti >2000AUS to replace/upgrade the 1080Ti and or psudo equivelent rtx 2080 costs more than a 1080Ti and has less RAM. :cry:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

It was destined for me! My company shares came out of the closed period, then dropped 30% and my crypto got to the $2800 mark enough to but the new rig and they crashed to $200!!

Hopefully when one or the other or both go up a bit this gap in GPU will be closed!

So I've seen so many discussions on what's the best CPU GPU RAM Motherboard etc... etc... etc...

I'm sort of curious why it's so hard to determine the best hardware for DCS, or for any other game, I guess.

I guess DCS is unique in that it works a bit differently than most games like... I don't know, Witcher 3 and Hitman, etc... in that it's very single core CPU hungry.

It's not hard at all. Get the best HW your budget allows. Everything else is a moot point. DCS is also like most other games....doesn't use all the CPUs so clock speed is very important.

Start with what you're willing to spend and everything is easier.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

No money can buy a PC that runs DCS at 100fps 4k full detail in MP.

Beyond a certain point you better not spend too much more, as there is no real world benefit.

This may all change with Vulkan.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This may all change with Vulkan.

Or not. On paper DX12/Vulkan bring a lot of improvement, in practice games that were ported to DX12/Vulkan don't show that much improvement, sometimes even run worse in DX12. Depends how much attention ED gives to this port, and we all know how stretched thin they are.

As for the PC, there's really not much to it.

1. Get the fastest GPU you can buy, especially if you play in 4k. But don't expect even 2080Ti to give you 90 FPS in VR.

2. Get the fastest CPU you can buy, but it's single core performance that matters. There's no point in buying 8+ core CPUs just for DCS, it can barely load two cores. Also get realistic when chasing GHz. Even if you overclock a modern i7 from 4.7GHz (almost default), to 5.2GHz (heavy OC), that's only 10% improvement in the most optimistic scenario. You won't even notice the difference with a naked eye.

3. 16GB RAM is barebone minimum, 32GB is the preferred amount. Also not worth getting those super fast and super expensive modules, not for DCS, not for other games.

4. Put DCS on SSD. SATA is enough, putting it on M2 PCIE disk won't make much difference, if any.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No, it's not. It's as easy as falling off a log.

CPU: Anything fast. Intel seems to work better, but anything over 4.0 GHz is good. Core i3, i5, i7, i9, i11---it doesn't make any difference at all.

RAM: 16GB is good. 32GB is supposed to be better, but I never find DCS using much more than about 10GB anyway.

Graphics card--faster is better of course. 8GB video memory. So, GTX 1070 is good, but faster is better. GTX 1080 Ti is nice, RTX cards are expensive and you pay lots of cash for Raytracing tech that DCS World doesn't use, and probably never will.

Storage: SSD only. NVMe is nice, but SATA is fine. Mechanical hard drives are too slow.

That's all there is to it! All the rest is just details.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

No, it's not. It's as easy as falling off a log.

CPU: Anything fast. Intel seems to work better, but anything over 4.0 GHz is good. Core i3, i5, i7, i9, i11---it doesn't make any difference at all.

RAM: 16GB is good. 32GB is supposed to be better, but I never find DCS using much more than about 10GB anyway.

Graphics card--faster is better of course. 8GB video memory. So, GTX 1070 is good, but faster is better. GTX 1080 Ti is nice, RTX cards are expensive and you pay lots of cash for Raytracing tech that DCS World doesn't use, and probably never will.

Storage: SSD only. NVMe is nice, but SATA is fine. Mechanical hard drives are too slow.

That's all there is to it! All the rest is just details.

AD

This guy gets it =)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Or not. On paper DX12/Vulkan bring a lot of improvement, in practice games that were ported to DX12/Vulkan don't show that much improvement, sometimes even run worse in DX12. Depends how much attention ED gives to this port, and we all know how stretched thin they are.

As for the PC, there's really not much to it.

1. Get the fastest GPU you can buy, especially if you play in 4k. But don't expect even 2080Ti to give you 90 FPS in VR.

2. Get the fastest CPU you can buy, but it's single core performance that matters. There's no point in buying 8+ core CPUs just for DCS, it can barely load two cores. Also get realistic when chasing GHz. Even if you overclock a modern i7 from 4.7GHz (almost default), to 5.2GHz (heavy OC), that's only 10% improvement in the most optimistic scenario. You won't even notice the difference with a naked eye.

3. 16GB RAM is barebone minimum, 32GB is the preferred amount. Also not worth getting those super fast and super expensive modules, not for DCS, not for other games.

4. Put DCS on SSD. SATA is enough, putting it on M2 PCIE disk won't make much difference, if any.

Do you know of any game that was ported to Vulkan? I know only of Dx12 ports.

Most games that are only "ported" indeed have no performance improvements or even regressions, but if you build the game around it from the beginning or take the work to optimize for it, you can see huge improvements.

See the new Doom game for example. Build with vulkan in mind from the beginning and you can have superb performance with little to no downsides even in 4K.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Aerofly FS2 has updated to Vulkan recently and the results are impressive (or so people say - I don't own it and haven't seen any reliable benchmarks). But that is a very barebone sim.

Xplane is also going Vulkan somewhere in the future. We'll see.

I mean Vulkan may bring significant improvement in certain situations, we just don't know yet. And what's more important, we don't know when it will arrive in DCS, so it's safe to assume it's still far away. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it when buying a new PC today.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

we don't know when it will arrive in DCS, so it's safe to assume it's still far away. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it when buying a new PC today.

Vulcan is not even scheduled. Your new CPU will be obsolete. :D

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Aerofly FS2 has updated to Vulkan recently and the results are impressive (or so people say - I don't own it and haven't seen any reliable benchmarks). But that is a very barebone sim.

Xplane is also going Vulkan somewhere in the future. We'll see.

I mean Vulkan may bring significant improvement in certain situations, we just don't know yet. And what's more important, we don't know when it will arrive in DCS, so it's safe to assume it's still far away. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it when buying a new PC today.

Google "Rob Ainscough Vulkan Update Impressions Part 4 (4K 60 fps)" He has a few in depth vids on the topic.

And agreed that DCS+Vulkan is a little ways out. I'm just hoping that by late 2019, we'll have a shot at it. :noexpression:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1