Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I'm up for a subscription model.
Ditto
Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #112
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
If the problem is money. I'd rather pay to play then get incomplete planes.
I would gladly "pay to play" as well. The base game should not be free. They are also working on a free map, which should also not be free. They put a lot of hard work and resources into all of this, and they should rightfully charge for it.

However, "pay to play" would require a faster development process for modules as well as the base game and also not letting something like the F-16 release happen again. The status quo could not continue.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #113
Phantom_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
I would gladly "pay to play" as well. The base game should not be free. They are also working on a free map, which should also not be free. They put a lot of hard work and resources into all of this, and they should rightfully charge for it.

However, "pay to play" would require a faster development process for modules as well as the base game and also not letting something like the F-16 release happen again. The status quo could not continue.
I think a lot of us probably feel like that tbh...
Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #114
Outlaw24

I'm not an avocate of the "pay to play" suggestion, but something is going to have to change, if the current system is considered to be working it's days are numbered. As stated above they should charge (a resonable price) for the new map to help the cash flow instead of giving it away for free.
MSI 390 Carbon Pro, i7 9700K @ 4.9, Noctua NH-U14S, 32GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Pro, MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind Pedals, UTC MK II Pro, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #115
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw24 View Post
I'm not an avocate of the "pay to play" suggestion, but something is going to have to change, if the current system is considered to be working it's days are numbered. As stated above they should charge (a resonable price) for the new map to help the cash flow instead of giving it away for free.
I wouldn't have said it better.

The "pay to play" model never attracted me much; either the bird is mine, or it isn't.
(But I'm the kind of guy who would buy boxed modules, if they were still produced.)

On the new map I also agree, it would always be some revenue to support the business going.
Samsung 860 QVO
Win 7, 64 bit

- HANGAR -
FC 3 , MiG-21Bis , Mirage 2000C , F-14B , F/A-18C
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #116
Eldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jockey View Post
I wouldn't have said it better.

The "pay to play" model never attracted me much; either the bird is mine, or it isn't.
(But I'm the kind of guy who would buy boxed modules, if they were still produced.)

On the new map I also agree, it would always be some revenue to support the business going.
My words. Remember the days when you could order the A-10C box from TFC, and the printed manual as well. That was the last one though...

As for the devs, after seeing the latest weekend newsletter I'm pretty sure they still are on the Viper - doing that TWS stuff which then also gets added to the Hornet which probably is the point where they'll go back to that module. Basically they're working on both at the same time in a certain way.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #117
Arctander

The problem with a subscription model is that they would have to switch to it before we see the benefitsnin the core sim. it’s a cart before horse situation - do you give them money for something ‘free’ that is broken in many ways, or wait to see fixes?

I would gladly move to a ‘purchase major iteration’ model like Xplane *but I just don’t trust ED* right now
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #118
hughlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
If the problem is money. I'd rather pay to play then get incomplete planes.

You don’t get incomplete planes unless you opt into early access. The Hornet and Viper are still being developed.

The systems we have now is actually fantastic, because it doesn’t discriminate. It gives all of us the option to buy the product and use the product when we wish. I could buy the Viper with the prerelease discount, then not use it for a year if I wanted to. Or I could buy the module when it exits early access. This is brilliant because no one in this thread is prevented from doing what they want to do. Personally, I was able to buy the Viper at a discount then start flying it last month, which is exactly what I was hoping to do. I didn’t have to wait for it to have TWS or other random features, I could just fly early on.

The problem is, for whatever reason, people don’t want to wait. So I don’t think a different model is needed, they just need to help people understand the compromise of early access, probably through an application process for alpha testing that people sign up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

Old 11-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #119
atazar

I, as a Hornet fan, give thanks that other consumers have invested in the Viper, because that offers a budget to continue developing the Hornet. In this way we all have what we want without magic wands.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #120
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughlb View Post
You don’t get incomplete planes unless you opt into early access. The Hornet and Viper are still being developed.

The systems we have now is actually fantastic, because it doesn’t discriminate. It gives all of us the option to buy the product and use the product when we wish. I could buy the Viper with the prerelease discount, then not use it for a year if I wanted to. Or I could buy the module when it exits early access. This is brilliant because no one in this thread is prevented from doing what they want to do. Personally, I was able to buy the Viper at a discount then start flying it last month, which is exactly what I was hoping to do. I didn’t have to wait for it to have TWS or other random features, I could just fly early on.

The problem is, for whatever reason, people don’t want to wait. So I don’t think a different model is needed, they just need to help people understand the compromise of early access, probably through an application process for alpha testing that people sign up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Part of the issue IMO is the fact people expect EA to take a few months or a year at most like many other EA games. So I dunno, maybe put an expected complete date boldly on the EA packaging. You can buy it in 2018 but anticipated competition date is in 2021 or whenever for the hornet. I don't know if it would help with the incessant bitching, probably not, but it might.

I wonder if ED has any data on guys who bought exactly 1 module, and said, nah F-it after they figured out it was half done and wasn't gonna get "done" for another 2 years.
Closed Thread