Ok I gave Up On Moding DCS... The Mods are Very Nice But hard to install...

Boneski

Title States it all..

I tried the overgame mod manger and it was confusing and hard to understand...

I also tried the other one and it too was hard to understand so I started to manually Install the mods... that was working until it stopped.

I tired to install the target range mod and it stated it i needed ta mod by Stuka and noodle ... that was the mod I installed and not matter what I got that error message when loading their Miz file..

Its just too hard to understand...

Here is my issue and maybe some one smarter than me can help.

So mods state they go into the save game folders while other state they go into the dcs world folder.

Both the same game folder and the DCSwold folder seem to have the same info in them so what gives??

Do mods go into the DCS world folder or do they go into the same game folder or do they go into both folders.

Also to the people that make these great Mods... you do great work.. why stop the great work when it comes to writing simple clear instruction on how and where install the mods in details.

Some of the install instructions have been very hard to follow and written in a very lazy fashion.

I know not everyone's native language is not English my darn.. This is the third time that I have uninstalled both DCSwold and DCSWorld Beta

because I can't get missions to load and I have duplicate files in my DCS folders both in save games and dscworld... I am sure that can;t be right.

I know its user error but still. Clear install directions would be a big plus!

I would really like to use the Civil Aircraft Mods The 76 Range Mode the VPC airbase texture mods and any terrain improvement mods.

I am doing a re-install of DCS again to start clean... If anyone can help me understand the Mods an directory structure I would appreciate it.!

Thanks!

Edited by Boneski

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

If you’ve given up on modding, why ask how to do it?

Please, just make up you mind.

If you want help, there’s plenty here (me included) who we happy to advise, but not under such a negative thread title. How about “looking for advise on how to...”

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Its just too hard to understand...

Thanks!

You should try quantum physics then everything else will be super easy to understand :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Basically my rule of thumb is if you can't save the mod in the saved games folder then I don't use it. Most mods come with easy to follow installation instructions and if not there are plenty of guides on youtube. Mod managers are good if you are installing in the main games directory as you need them to reinstall the mod after an update. Don't try to install a mod in the main games directory, get it wrong and then try to install in the saved games directory or vice versa, strange things may happen. If the mod doesn't work it usually means you didn't follow the instructions correctly and didn't create the required directories.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

By default it's -

If it flies then it goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Mods\aircraft

everything else goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Mods\tech

Liveries goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Liveries

You can move the saved games folder location by a M/Link thingy IF you want but that's too advanced for me..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Not to be mean but if I hurt your feeling then I'm sorry that you have soft feelings where a simple word set gives you pain because its negative.

As much as I would love your help and any help to simply understand confusing mods that lack clear guidance. I will pass since you seemingly came into this thread just to post some negative no sense about how you feel pained and confused.

Other folk here seemed to understand and have offered their help and I appreciate it all.

I Bid you good day sir.

If you’ve given up on modding, why ask how to do it?

Please, just make up you mind.

If you want help, there’s plenty here (me included) who we happy to advise, but not under such a negative thread title. How about “looking for advise on how to...”

Edited by Boneski

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Ha! yeah I am usually able to pick up on things but the lack of clear details in some of the instructions make it worst than QPHY 502 :smartass:

As I stated in the post... they do all this amazing work then fall asleep at the controls when it comes to writing the How to Install Instructions...

It's like what happened... did you get tired of typing and the most important part... lol...

But think you again... I have my fresh reinstall of the game... and will give it one more try...if I fail this time... I will just keep the game in its stock form and just watch video of people that have the mods installed and marvel at the cool add on that I'm too dumb to figure out.

LOL.

Thanks so much to all of you for the help.

:pilotfly:

You should try quantum physics then everything else will be super easy to understand :D

Ha! yeah I am usually able to pick up on things but the lack of clear details in some of the instructions make it worst than QPHY 502 :smartass:

:pilotfly:

b please... :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

The people in that thread stated that he tool does not work unless you have 32 bit.

This OvGME tool I tried but that did not make any sense to me sadly...

I think I need to just leave the game mod thing alone as it is a bit too complex for me to understand.

Its not clear what works and what does not work.

THis is a bummer as some of the modes do look cool.

Oh well.. I gave it a try and there is nothing wrong with failure.

I do hope in the future they make modding easier or just integrate some of these mods into the game stock.

I only have:

C:\Users\UserID\Saved Games\DCS

There is no version number and there is no Mods sub-directory

and there is no aircraft sub-directory...

I does this mean that the game will not allow modes?

Did Install the correct DCS game or is it that open.beta can only be modded?

By default it's -

If it flies then it goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Mods\aircraft

everything else goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Mods\tech

Liveries goes here >>Saved Games\DCS Version\Liveries

You can move the saved games folder location by a M/Link thingy IF you want but that's too advanced for me..

The people in that thread stated that he tool does not work unless you have 32 bit.

Not really .. what they said is that the JSGME tool is coded as a 32-bit application. It can work perfectly well on a 64-bit Windows, as it is designed to be backward compatible with 32-bit Apps.

However, the handicap of a 32-bit App is that it cant handle files larger than 2 GB, so it MIGHT be unable to apply Mods that has files of that size (Mods that are very uncommon)

This OvGME tool I tried but that did not make any sense to me sadly...

I agree that these Mod Managers are not very easy to use .. that's why I wrote a small Guide to help peaple into the tool, tough it is a bit obsolete by now: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182827

Its not clear what works and what does not work.

On my case, I just try each Mod before adopting it for use on my missions ... the ones that dont work with the current DCS get stored into an "obsolete" folder (so that I dont try to use them again in the future).

THis is a bummer as some of the modes do look cool.

Yes, some are indeed very nice .. I use them mostly as mission objectives, or for ambiance, since the DCS AI rarely handles them well in combat:

U18yYUv.jpg

I do hope in the future they make modding easier or just integrate some of these mods into the game stock.

That will never happen, as we cant expect ED to mantain code written by third persons.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Wow that is very impressive!!! I am install open.beta to see if I get that dcs version folder... I am going to give this thing one my try... IF I don;t have that folder I gess im out of luck. Thank you for the link. I will read it now

I only have:

C:\Users\UserID\Saved Games\DCS

There is no version number and there is no Mods sub-directory

and there is no aircraft sub-directory...

You have to create the folders using windows’ File Manager .. just be careful with the upper/lower case .. the folders are "Mods" and "aircraft" ("tech" for objects that are not aircrafts, like ships, vehicles or scenery objects)

Did Install the correct DCS game or is it that open.beta can only be modded?

Any instance of DCS can be modded, just identify correctly which saved games folder it is using.

Wow that is very impressive!!! I am install open.beta to see if I get that dcs version folder...

No need .. you can use Mods with any version of DCS.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Let me ask this question.... I see that some of the mods ask to replace the entry.lau file along with others... will that mess up the mods if another mod over writes and replaces a mod's lau file?

Let me ask this question.... I see that some of the mods ask to replace the entry.lau file along with others... will that mess up the mods if another mod over writes and replaces a mod's lau file?

Each Mod should be ON ITS OWN folder, so if you are getting replace messages then you are doing it wrong ... the folder structure should be like this:

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/aircraft/{1st Aircraft Mod}

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/aircraft/{2nd Aircraft Mod}

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/aircraft/ etc

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/tech/{1st Ship or Gound Mod}

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/tech/{2nd Ship or Gound Mod}

/Saved Games/DCS/Mods/tech/ etc

This is a real example:

tSnycjA.jpg

Ahhh okay... yes I am doing it all wrong sadly... one mode has a folder called main and so did another mod... grrr.. I need to just leave the game alone lol.. Off to do another reisntall.... at some point.. I will get to play DCS again vs spending all this time trying to understand modding lol...

So if two different mods have a folder called main do I just rename the folder?

Thank you again for your help.

So if two different mods have a folder called main do I just rename the folder?

It depends on the specific Mod .. for those that go into /Saved Games/ you can name their folder anything you want, I usually rename them in order to have meaningful names and, if possible, honor their authors by putting their nicknames at the end.

At any rate, if you are new to DCS is best that you spend time flying the sim without user Mods, and return to them once you know the sim better.