Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

On 8/27/2018 at 5:32 AM, Brun said:

I've got this daft idea in my head that I should build a UFC for the Hornet. Currently this exists as a 3D model and a shopping list of components. All good so far but the next steps involve spending money, so I have a few questions before proceeding.

3D modelling and rendering (although not in any sort of product design way) is my day job so this bit was reasonably straight forward...

UFC_001.jpg

UFC_002.jpg

UFC_003.jpg

UFC_004.jpg

The HUD panel is only in its early stages. More info and some questions to follow...

What software did you use for designing this?

On 9/13/2021 at 5:16 PM, Apar said:

What software did you use for designing this?

Modo.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, Brun said:

In other news, I have a small addition...

20181203_190712.jpg

I've also just replaced all the encoders (with the exception of the COMM channel selectors) with pots. These are running through a Bodnar BU0836A, so are seen as a separate device. This is useful cos I was running out of inputs on the BBI-64 and now have the HDG and CRS switches to connect, plus the Tornado landing gear handle I'd got hold of. Really pleased with the pots even tho they were cheapo Amazon jobbies. Feeling is great and they're pretty much perfect 1:1 rotation with the in-game ones.

It's funny how I keep reaching for other stuff in the cockpit now, before realising I need the mouse. Might do the master arm panel next since it's relatively simple and pretty important.

Cool! i m preparing the shopping lists... do you think with this UFC + HEADING + MASTER ARM PANEL i have enough inputs on BBI-64 or you suggest me to buy the BODNAR BU0836A with 7 pots?

Thank you

BBI-64 definitely has enough inputs for the UFC and HUD panel, can't remember how many there were spare for the HDG/CRS switches and others. Should be easy enough to make a list and count them.

I used two separate inputs for the two-postition switches (eg. Altimeter Baro/Rdr) but it would be possible to get away with one if you use the 'special for joystick' functionality. That's a bit of a pain if the particular switch isn't already supported though, because it means editing files.

I really didn't like the rotary encoders, pots are a huge improvement. However there aren't enough digital inputs on the BU0386A (32 max?) to use just that, you'd need a BBI-64 as well.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

25 minutes ago, Brun said:

BBI-64 definitely has enough inputs for the UFC and HUD panel, can't remember how many there were spare for the HDG/CRS switches and others. Should be easy enough to make a list and count them.

I used two separate inputs for the two-postition switches (eg. Altimeter Baro/Rdr) but it would be possible to get away with one if you use the 'special for joystick' functionality. That's a bit of a pain if the particular switch isn't already supported though, because it means editing files.

I really didn't like the rotary encoders, pots are a huge improvement. However there aren't enough digital inputs on the BU0386A (32 max?) to use just that, you'd need a BBI-64 as well.

thank you very much!

I used a BBI-64 and BU 0386.  The BU is only controlling the Pots and i had enough spots left over on the BBI-64 to add in my A/A, A/G, Master arm and a 4-way dobber i finagled in for the -16.  There are about 4 inputs left on the darned thing.  Then you really could have another 32 inputs on the BU if you added the breakout board.

I just finished an MFD project for my sim rig, and was perusing the internet for UFC ideas, not really sure if I wanted to build anything - and stumbled upon this thread.

Two days later and I have all of the parts printed, the switches and buttons will be here in a couple of days, and I already have an old Bodnar board from another old project of mine ready to go!

I'm not a huge fan of how the recessed lettering turned out, so I'll be laser engraving some label panels to go over the front of the 3D printed parts.

Thanks for the head start on what will now be an easy project!  Donation sent via PayPal!

Even though I fly exclusively in VR, I'd love to have working displays on this thing... I've only skimmed through this large thread, and see a few folks have been successful with that, but I think I need to do some more digging.

@Brun I’ve just cut out the Perspex screen covers based upon your measurements/template but they all don’t fit (I probably should have undersized the cut outs but the holes for the main cut out just don’t line up which I think is the biggest problem. For reference, I bought the 3D prints off of Shapeways and I think they’re dimensionally accurate so I’m scratching my head trying to figure out where I’m going wrong.

Any ideas?

thanks

83EEB1F3-FCCF-4A4A-BB7B-92D04C5A2AB1.jpeg

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

@obious Sorry, only just seen this.

Took a look at the 3D model that I based the dimensions on and discovered it's slightly too big. Should only be 106 mm total, so approx 1.25mm shorter at either end. Apologies for that, surprised it hasn't been discovered sooner. Was it just that one piece causing a problem?

Hope you don't mind having to cut it down, at least any rough edges will be well hidden.

@Brun no problem at all. I actually had a problem with all of the cut outs and perhaps more worryingly, I noticed the holes on the main/biggest cutout don’t line up either. Any chance you could check on that also?

Thanks for following up!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Here is my complete UFC.  The wiring looks a bit of a mess, but every button, switch, and knob works!  I am using a Bodnar BBI-64.

The main body and knobs were printed on my Ender 3, the front panels were laser engraved and then machined on my CNC router.  I laser engraved button labels as well, but didn't like how it looked with the extra thickness stuck onto the buttons.  For now, I just made some stickers on my inkject printer.  Looks ok although the black doesn't quite match the laser engraved panels.  Good enough for now, I may try to come up with a better solution at some point.  I fly in VR so it's really not important, but I'm a bit picky about stuff like that so I'd still like to make it better.

Black acrylic blank out panels for the LCDs for now.  I would like to make those functional but need to do a bit more research into DCS BIOS and find LCDs that fit well.

The angle and "stick-out" relative to my MFDs isn't to actual hornet dimensions, I had to have the UFC stick out a bit more to make room for some of the toggle switches inside the box.

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

66441996855__F50F969D-5A0D-4BD6-B880-0EEFD634E9A0.jpg

• Like 2

Just an FYI, here's the panel SVG in case anyone has a laser cutter at home and wants to cut out the panel covers without having to recreate them. These fit like a dream in my Shapeways printed UFC

F-18 Front UFC.svg

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

• 4 months later...

Does anyone else have the problem of multiple inputs occurring when pressing the UFC numbers just the once?  Only seems to happen in the hornet and only when using the number keypad.  

Using a BBI-64.

Cheers

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 5:15 AM, twizzstyle said:

Here is my complete UFC.  The wiring looks a bit of a mess, but every button, switch, and knob works!  I am using a Bodnar BBI-64.

The main body and knobs were printed on my Ender 3, the front panels were laser engraved and then machined on my CNC router.  I laser engraved button labels as well, but didn't like how it looked with the extra thickness stuck onto the buttons.  For now, I just made some stickers on my inkject printer.  Looks ok although the black doesn't quite match the laser engraved panels.  Good enough for now, I may try to come up with a better solution at some point.  I fly in VR so it's really not important, but I'm a bit picky about stuff like that so I'd still like to make it better.

Black acrylic blank out panels for the LCDs for now.  I would like to make those functional but need to do a bit more research into DCS BIOS and find LCDs that fit well.

The angle and "stick-out" relative to my MFDs isn't to actual hornet dimensions, I had to have the UFC stick out a bit more to make room for some of the toggle switches inside the box.

Your UFC mounting box looks really good, been having trouble finding a solution for mine. Are you able to post up the STL?

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It's taken a while, but with the recent arrival of a Bambu Lab P1S I've finally done something about the mess that was visible from everywhere but the pilot's seat.

Before...

image.png

After...

image.png

Edited by Brun