DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

Not what the general experience is but I certainly find the comm volume in SRS too low when compared to windows/TS. Someone who sounds perfectly clear in TS becomes quite ain't and sometimes hard to hear in SRS. So it does mean turning down volumes to separate different radios is undesirable. It does also appear that the radio volume adjustment is quite limited as you say.

Perhaps a general boost in voume across the board would help? I'd expect max volume in cockpit to be very loud and not be necessary in most cases.

From the client you have microphone boost which will boost your audio, though as you turn it up you'll reach levels which will distort your audio transmission for others, so you need to find the happy medium.

The same goes for playback. There is an audio boost for your speakers which you can turn up to increase the audio being sent to you, but again you need to find the happy medium.

Lastly, if you're flying FC3 aircraft, then use the volume sliders in the overlay to increase or decrease the volume of those radios. If you're in a DCS level aircraft you need to use the in-cockpit volume controls for that radio to increase or decrease its volume.

Aware of those sliders, most of us have them as high as possible without adverse effects being introduced however voice volume is still noticeably lower than in TS and requires max in cockpit radio volume to clearly hear in many cases

It's workable now, but could be better.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

After updating SimpleRadio won't work anymore. As soon as i try to connect to BS's server it shuts down without any error message or anything.

I get this at the end of the client log.

20:46:34 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.UdpVoiceHandler Pinging Server

20:46:34 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.AudioManager Error starting audio Quitting!

Maybe they haven't updated to 1.1.5 or latest 1.54 patch

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

After updating SimpleRadio won't work anymore. As soon as i try to connect to BS's server it shuts down without any error message or anything.

I get this at the end of the client log.

20:46:34 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.UdpVoiceHandler Pinging Server

20:46:34 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.AudioManager Error starting audio Quitting!

I had this happening before the update and it turned out I had to change the microphone from stereo input to webcam mic. It didn't like using the general mic input it needed a specific mic to use as the input. Also check the output speakers.

Not sure if that helps but whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small suggestion. Maybe this already has been suggested or implemented but I'm having trouble finding it if it's the case.

A simple dropdown menu that displays the IP's you've connected to before. I'm switching between the 104th server and Buddyspike's Blue Flag campaign. I have to input them each time individually. It would be cool to have an option to store these IP's somewhere in the program.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @4.5GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | ASUS P68Z68 | Iiyama 27" ProLite | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip

I had this happening before the update and it turned out I had to change the microphone from stereo input to webcam mic. It didn't like using the general mic input it needed a specific mic to use as the input. Also check the output speakers.

Not sure if that helps but whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seemed to solve it! Thanks alot! :)

Would it be possible to have different SRS controls for each aircraft? For example, in the huey I don't want the mic switch on my TM warthog to activate push to talk, but in the A10c I use that switch to talk on my different radios.

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

SRS Controls are only for those modules that doesn't allow to export data about radio selection and/or PTT.

SRS controls are for:

FC3 aircrafts.

A-10C and Mirage for radio selection and PTT.

Gazelle (not possible to select radio in the Sim)

KA-50, Bf-109 and FW-190 for PTT

In other modules like the Huey, the radios and PTT are selected through the Sim, so the controls from the SRS are not used.

SRS Controls are only for those modules that doesn't allow to export data about radio selection and/or PTT.

SRS controls are for:

FC3 aircrafts.

A-10C and Mirage for radio selection and PTT.

Gazelle (not possible to select radio in the Sim)

KA-50, Bf-109 and FW-190 for PTT

In other modules like the Huey, the radios and PTT are selected through the Sim, so the controls from the SRS are not used.

I have enabled radio switch works as PTT, so in the A10c I can easily switch between radio's. However, when I'm in the huey and I press any of the 3 mic switches I assigned in SRS (on my mic switch on the TM Warthog) SRS sees it as push to talk, even though I have assigned something different in the sim.

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

I have enabled radio switch works as PTT, so in the A10c I can easily switch between radio's. However, when I'm in the huey and I press any of the 3 mic switches I assigned in SRS (on my mic switch on the TM Warthog) SRS sees it as push to talk, even though I have assigned something different in the sim.

In the SR control panel, turn off 'Radio Switch works as PTT' and you will be good if you wish to use another binding for PTT...

This image shows Huey setup relying on DCS Huey bindings (or Keyboard bindings) for PTT and Intercom rotary......

28702164861_4dc3a41b1e_b.jpg

In RL Hueys have 2 pilots, DCS has 1. Can be a handful speaking, selecting radios, changing freq and flying formation....

The autopilot can help you out here if needed especially at the beginning... map AP & AP modes (straight & level, attitude & orbit) will again make things a little easier.

If you have a TMWH or a handy spare HAT switch or similar you can combine the PTT and Intercom selection into one button push.

The settings in this image will allow the TMWH right throttle radio hat to do this. Push forward and hold will switch the Intercom rotary to the FM radio and push the PTT for as long as the HAT switch is pressed.

Likewise, push down and hold and you are speaking on UHF, pull back and hold and you're transmitting on AM....

28797254615_fb25c76344_b.jpg

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

Thanks, this is a nice solution so I don't have to turn that dial every time.

My system:

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

Henry Ford

I have two requests for features:

Basically I would like to be able to play an audio source, music, combat information, etc from my desktop(outside of the game) to any frequency of my choosing. This might not be possible?

As an addendum, maybe make it possible to set multiple audio in/out sources? Or at least let me switch them on the fly.

Second: I would like to be able to tune into channels from the selection screen somehow, the only way this can become a complete replacement for teamspeak is if we can listen to radio channels when we are not actually in an aircraft as that helps coordinate missions(what aircraft are needed and where to launch from, etc).

Basically I would like to be able to play an audio source, music, combat information, etc from my desktop(outside of the game) to any frequency of my choosing. This might not be possible?

As an addendum, maybe make it possible to set multiple audio in/out sources? Or at least let me switch them on the fly.

Second: I would like to be able to tune into channels from the selection screen somehow, the only way this can become a complete replacement for teamspeak is if we can listen to radio channels when we are not actually in an aircraft as that helps coordinate missions(what aircraft are needed and where to launch from, etc).

Why not just use TeamSpeak? Simple Radio Standalone is intended to simulate the way the radio works in the aircraft you are flying, if you want just a means of communication wit a few radio like features use the Simple Radio Team Speak plugin that Ciribob also developed. Tuning the radio from the overlay for FC3 aircraft is already a compromise because they lack clickable cockpits, making the high fidelity modules do that also would defeat the purpose of the program.

Simple Radio Standalone was not intended to replace Team Speak but augment it as described by Ciribob in several posts. The way we UAE it and I encourage players to UAE it on my server is rise TS for coordinating, planning and briefing prior to flying then move to aanother channel and use Simple Radio Standalone for the flight. You can then stay on Simple Radio if all you are going to do is refuelbor only simple planning is required or if more complex planning and coordination is required go to TS for that and back to SRS for the next mission.

Or just program the limit to 99% opacity... ;)

Also could we get an "attach to border" feature so the overlay will "snap" to the screen border please? :)

It is... :)

Something i noticed. At the lowest volume level of the volume knobs/sliders, the volume is still clearly audible. My expectation would be that 0 is inaudible, 100 is at the max volume of Windows audio mixer setting. The effect of this is that I cannot turn down one of the channels to a quiet level. As to which aircraft this effects I didn't test them all. Is this known about or explained, please? :)

Just tested in the A-10C, 0 Cockpit volume meant I couldn't hear anything at all. Can you try a different aircraft and let me know?

Feature Request:

* Something like server bookmarks, so that I don't have to change(/enter) the IP manually when playing on several DCS servers (and therefore different SR servers) but could choose from a managed set (e.g. "Name" -> "IP").

* Or (even better, if programmatically possible) maybe something like a managed set "DCS servers" -> "SR servers" and auto-connect to a specific SR-server when DCS joins a game server?

What do you think?

Great job, btw!

The way I'd like to see the server bookmark feature implemented is a button that says 'servers' that opens a list window with an 'add new server' button that just asks for a server name and IP and has a 'save' button.

On the list each server should have the ability to edit that entry, an option to delete one or multiple servers in the list, and an option for auto connecting to a server, and an indicator to show if the server is up (by pinging it, and color coding the response, red being offline, yellow being high ping, and green being low ping.)

by the way, does DCS export what server you are connecting to?

If so, there should be an option to auto connect to a simple radio server on the same IP as the DCS mutliplayer server. that would sure make things simpler and more universally adopted!

I have a small suggestion. Maybe this already has been suggested or implemented but I'm having trouble finding it if it's the case.

A simple dropdown menu that displays the IP's you've connected to before. I'm switching between the 104th server and Buddyspike's Blue Flag campaign. I have to input them each time individually. It would be cool to have an option to store these IP's somewhere in the program.

Everything UI wise like this I won't be doing until I've sorted the underlying protocol a bit better which is not an easy process but its on the list to do.

For the minute, just have a text file in the same folder as where you launch SRS and save them all there :)

Here you go... The device which is not recognized (or rather recognized and not added) by SRS would be this one:

88888888-0000-0000-0000-504944564944 Instance: fdc7b200-e21d-11e5-8003-444553540000 Frogfoot

Hmm its just reporting as Generic Device but I'll have a better look later down the line... sorry not for now then.

Aware of those sliders, most of us have them as high as possible without adverse effects being introduced however voice volume is still noticeably lower than in TS and requires max in cockpit radio volume to clearly hear in many cases

It's workable now, but could be better.

I'll keep working on the Audio, your best bet if your still having trouble is to use the Windows Volume mixer to turn down DCS... Sorry not a great solution for now.

Hello Ciribob. Which may be the cause of that by running the client does not work? The installation was successful without any errors, the lua files were added and the line within export.lua is correct. Only when trying to run SRS does not run.

Installation went fine but now I cant launch SimpleRadio.

I always get a "DCS SimpleRadio Standalone Client stopped working" message.

Am I the only one?

Nope mate.... I have the same problem!!!

Installation was successful but I cannot launch the application (same message)

What errors are you 3 getting in the Client Log if Any? Or in the Windows Error Log?

Are you running MSI afterburner? If so try turning it off as it tries to inject an FPS counter and crashes the radio client.

For one, eventually I wan't to allow the server host to send transmissions but won't be for a few months.

For the addendum, I won't add that but just click disconnect, then change the input or output and then reconnect. Its quick enough and your current radio settings should persist for non FC3 :)

For part two, I don't think I'll allow SimpleRadio to be used without being in DCS as that suddenly opens up any server to much easier abuse. Obviously you can at the minute jump in DCS, then connect radio and spam frequencies but that can be stopped with future work. I'm not trying to replace TS, think of it as an enhancement so TS is still a better fit for a meeting / Chat. You get text chat, file transfer etc which are all out of scope of DCS-SRS. :)

BTW Documentation is being centralised here thanks to Nossarian (big thanks!) and so will the wishlist eventually. https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/wiki

Don't lose heart if there's no progress, writing this isn't an easy task so progress will be slow in places :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Thanks for the reply, Ciribib, but I'm still curious, does DCS export what server IP you're connected to?

Sorry forgot to add to my reply, the autoconnect idea I have is just add a special tag to the mission description as I don't think I can get the connected Server IP. Something easy like

DCS-SRS IP:someip \n - \n being a breakline

as its easy to retrieve the mission description.

If you have a look in the DCS directory then API there is a text file called DCS_ControlAPI.txt that shows you everything you can do with the GameGUI API

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Have you got Microsoft .NET 3.5 installed?

Yesterday one member of my squad had this problem and he solved the problem reinstalling the .NET 3.5

Thanks now it works! :thumbup:

What errors are you 3 getting in the Client Log if Any? Or in the Windows Error Log?

Are you running MSI afterburner? If so try turning it off as it tries to inject an FPS counter and crashes the radio client.

Im not running MSI afterburner but installing Microsoft .NET 4.5 sorted this out for me!