Advice needed-where to next

bkrull

I've completed the training missions in DCS A-10C-I've done them several times each--and now I'm wondering what to start learning next. I've got the basics of weapons delivery down and can handle the aircraft fairly well, even though I need to improve my skills and experience in that arena.

I'm interested in learning how to work with JTAC, CDU, UFC and TAD--creating and entering markpoints and waypoints--all that. Is this the right place to go next or is there something else? Where do I start--are there any "back to basics" tutorials online or in the .pdf format? In what order should I start? I've watched countless videos and while they are all good, it seems that there's always a gap--something I don't know that the video assumes I know.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bkrull

I'll subscribe to this thread.

To the question: what next after the training missions, every body'll tell you: join an online squad.

For me that's not an option right now as squads demand a certain online-time. So I'm interested in whatever single-player solutions will be offered in this thread.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Pretty much in the same situation as OP... Looking forward to some good advice... :D

Asus z170 motherboard; Intel i5-6600K OCd to 4,5GHz; Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000MHz; ASUS Cerberus 1070 Ti; Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD; Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp w/ Bifrost multibit DAC and Sennheiser 650 headphones; HP Reverb; Saitek x65-F; TrackIR5

Find the server that you have a good ping to that does not have a pw on it , Then see if they are running TS (coms program to chat in game) If they are get the ip and connect. Ask if you can jump in and give a hand or IF anyone can help you with what ever you need ASK!!!:music_whistling::thumbup::helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I'd suggest the following, not necessarily in order:

1. Start flying online

2. Learn more abouts TADS, net setting, display settings (EXP1 and 2 etc)

3. Practise different ways of receiving and marking targets (TAD data, EGI direct markpoint entry, HUD markpoint creation, TGP markpoint creation etc)

4. Practise sending targets to other flight members (TAD data, message, SPI)

5. Practise and learn how to change DSMS weapons release options (particularly laser codes for GBU's and HOF for cluster bombs)

6. Learn how to setup and release ordinance fast, so its second nature, particularly useful is multiple MAV release on the same pass and ccip consent to release modes for dumb bombs.

I found the best way to learn all this stuff is to figure out the need for it by joining an online squad, members are usually more than willing to carry out coaching sessions and the important stuff is self evident.

If you don't go for MultiPlayer, for whatever reason, try to the Instant Action missions in a way, where you practice attacking the different targets with different weapons, learn to manage your ordnance, try to save "intelligent weapons for critical targets, optimize your attacks.

Then try the "weapons Training.miz" in Missions, to get comfortable with dumb bombs and try CBU-97s, also. Don't try the CBU-87s they give a terrible framehit at the moment (bug!).

Then there is the "Hideout" mission. Easy enough and makes you listen to your surroundings. Read the briefing carefully and understand what is your job.

There is a video series that shows in detail, how to do this mission (try it without it first, not to spoil it)

...anyway, as said before: Try online Multiplayer! There is no substitute to a fellow pilot explaining things on TeamSpeak while replicating it in the plane :thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi Some links for your endeavours:)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1126958&postcount=4

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1173664&postcount=1

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1173965&postcount=1

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1174185&postcount=7

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1185707&postcount=35

These links where written whilst the A10 was still beta but I imagine most things are correct.

I personally found that replaying the single missions till I could do them perfectly worked and the one that I found most useful for learning the inputting of info to the CDU was Smerch hunt. Its also useful IMO to make use of the wingman, you dont have to kill all the enemy yourself.

Best of luck with learning, its a steep curve but the feeling of being able to prosecute targets successfully utilizing the A10's potential as a killing machine and landing back at base in one piece is fantastic:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eno's firehouse server is always highly reccomended.

Agreed - there are some fine people on there that know all the ins and outs of the sim and are very helpful and encouraging. Sometimes a lot of learning can be done by just flying online and listening and following on a wing (or staying out of the way)..

Regarding the CDU - there is this awesome tutorial by Einstein EP:

HERE!

BeachAV8R

PS - I've also found that the biggest challenge when jumping from the training scenarios to the single and campaign missions is the almost immediate ramp up in "task saturation" levels. Campaign designers should take into consideration that easing into the action is a nice way to acclimate rather than getting thrown fully clothed into the deep end of the pool. That's why I've always been such a big fan of campaigns that have a buildup to the action. Recons, light action, followed by more complex missions.

The Vergeev Group campaign (for the Ka-50) is probably the best example of a campaign that is fun, but doesn't overwhelm you from the start. A similarly designed campaign would be very welcomed for the A-10C.

BeachAV8R