AB detent option?

Donut

Wags/ED,

Are you planning on including the AB detent special option like we have in the Hornet?

It really works great for those without an actual physical detent on their HOTAS and I hope to see it as an included option with the F-16 as well.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Hello! Of course, we will add this feature. We ourselves find it useful and many players agree :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply! Happy to hear that you will be adding this! I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle and finding a button to map the AB detent to won't be a problem.

Keep up the great work and good luck with F-16 development...looking forward to it!!!

I'm curious, how does this feature work? I'm asking because the latest Virpil throttle comes without detends and this sounds like something to map on a pinky switch on the throttle.

Basically, without pressing the mapped AB button, increasing your throttle to max will give you MIL power....with the AB button pressed, increasing your throttle to max will give you afterburner.

Basically, without pressing the mapped AB button, increasing your throttle to max will give you MIL power....with the AB button pressed, increasing your throttle to max will give you afterburner.

Sorry I don't have the F-18 so not familiar with this 'option', but reading your description - what do you do if you are at MIL and want to go into full AB? Isn't the throttle already at full FWD travel? Do you need to drop the throttle back then push the AB detent button then move it full FWD again?....cause that seems 'less than ideal'. Same deal with going from AB to MIL - AFT then FWD again without button pushed? How do you set different levels of AB if it just goes into AB at full FWD travel with the button pushed?

What is wrong with just implementing the Falcon 4.0 option of the user setting an AB position on the travel range of their particular throttle. Probably one of the best control mapping options ever that has been continually ignored. Does Microprose have a patent on it or something?

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry I don't have the F-18 so not familiar with this 'option', but reading your description - what do you do if you are at MIL and want to go into full AB? Isn't the throttle already at full FWD travel? Do you need to drop the throttle back then push the AB detent button then move it full FWD again?....cause that seems 'less than ideal'. Same deal with going from AB to MIL - AFT then FWD again without button pushed? How do you set different levels of AB if it just goes into AB at full FWD travel with the button pushed?

What is wrong with just implementing the Falcon 4.0 option of the user setting an AB position on the travel range of their particular throttle. Probably one of the best control mapping options ever that has been continually ignored. Does Microprose have a patent on it or something?

Yes, you have to drop the throttle back to change between MIL and AB. It is less than ideal but so is not having a physical detent on the throttle. I find that it works well and is easy to get used to. Having to drop the throttle back also provides a physical cue to let me know that I am changing between MIL and AB.

Different levels of AB? Which aircraft have that?

I find that having the AB position being set at a particular throttle range lacks enough feedback and requires close monitoring of the FF and RPM gauges to let you know if you are in AB or full MIL power.

Yes, you have to drop the throttle back to change between MIL and AB. It is less than ideal but so is not having a physical detent on the throttle. I find that it works well and is easy to get used to. Having to drop the throttle back also provides a physical cue to let me know that I am changing between MIL and AB.

Different levels of AB? Which aircraft have that?

I find that having the AB position being set at a particular throttle range lacks enough feedback and requires close monitoring of the FF and RPM gauges to let you know if you are in AB or full MIL power.

Sevareal planes got multiply stages in AB

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Well, that may be true but this discussion is specific to the F-16 which, does not.

For the F-16, the AB detent option will be great for those who do not have a detent on their throttle.

Of course, this is an option and can be turned off for those who do not like it's functionality. Options are good to have, as everyone's setup and preferences are different.

You are correct. I can't think of any aircraft with AB or reheat that do not have several stages of it.

On the F-16 with GE-129, at min AB all engine gauges will be the same as in mil power except the fuel flow (PPH) and nozzle position (noz pos %).

This is on the ground, in the air it might have different numbers.

At mil power, noz pos should be -3% to 10%

Min AB, noz pos 5% to 40%

Max AB, noz pos 50% to 70%

PPH will just increase, not set number.

here is a good representation of the throttle movement

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3769748&postcount=1147

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

You are correct. I can't think of any aircraft with AB or reheat that do not have several stages of it.

On the F-16 with GE-129, at min AB all engine gauges will be the same as in mil power except the fuel flow (PPH) and nozzle position (noz pos %).

This is on the ground, in the air it might have different numbers.

At mil power, noz pos should be -3% to 10%

Min AB, noz pos 5% to 40%

Max AB, noz pos 50% to 70%

PPH will just increase, not set number.

here is a good representation of the throttle movement

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3769748&postcount=1147

There may be several stages of afterburner, but are they actually controllable with the throttle? In the F-16...as well as Hornet and Tomcat, I thought afterburner was all or nothing.

Here is an example of Min AB and Max AB on the F404. keep in mind without looking at the throttle it is impossible to tell the actual throttle movement speed and position.

The Electric lightning appears to only have reheat on or off, but again without knowledge of the aircraft and not seeing what the pilot is doing is impossible to know if the throttle is not just being move to max reheat.

note how the flame starts fully extended

Here is a F110-GE-100

note how the flame starts small en extends. Again without looking at the throttle is impossible to show that throttle position or angle (GE engine on the F-16 use angle for the throttle switches, which in turn, send the signal to the Digital Engine Control [DEC] which control engine RPM, the physical cable/rod is only used on secondary [sec] mode.)

F110-GE-129 examples

cGlxZLiJSvI

Note on the GE-129 example the min AB is on for around a minute before going to Max AB. This is part of the Augmentation operational check found in 1F-16CJ-2-70JG-00-11, para 2-7-1, 70-00-07 function number page 2-182

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

There may be several stages of afterburner, but are they actually controllable with the throttle? In the F-16...as well as Hornet and Tomcat, I thought afterburner was all or nothing.

Respectfully you are incorrect, afterburner hasn’t been “All or Nothing” since the F-100 days. If you want to check it out for yourself just go to F2 and creep the F-18 into min burner, and then slowly push the throttle forward to max burner and you can watch each ring of the burner light up. The F-15 also pops quite nicely as each stage of the burner kicks in.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Respectfully you are incorrect, afterburner hasn’t been “All or Nothing” since the F-100 days. If you want to check it out for yourself just go to F2 and creep the F-18 into min burner, and then slowly push the throttle forward to max burner and you can watch each ring of the burner light up. The F-15 also pops quite nicely as each stage of the burner kicks in.

Hmm, interesting...I never knew! The great thing about this community is that I get to learn something knew all the time.

I guess I never noticed it because the travel on my throttle is so small that to see the different stages of afterburner would take very fine movement of the last few millimeters of travel. So for me, afterburner has been treated as all or nothing.

So, are the different stages of afterburner actually used in real life operation? Does the pilot have that level of precision in the throttle to do that?

Edited by =BJM=

There are differences between that stuff you have and the stuff that is available in the jet or used by pit builders. Normally you have a 1:1 contact to a poti or a HAL-sensor. But you are stuck at about 90° of movement or maybe less. In the real bird the throttle moves a poti not directly at the axis of the throttle arm... In my first pit I used a smaller gearwheel at the axis and a smaller one on the poti. It was about 1:3 in size. So with the 90 degree movement of the arm I moved the poti 270 degrees. This gives a much wider range and much better feeling ;)

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

Hmm, interesting...I never knew! The great thing about this community is that I get to learn something knew all the time.

I guess I never noticed it because the travel on my throttle is so small that to see the different stages of afterburner would take very fine movement of the last few millimeters of travel. So for me, afterburner has been treated as all or nothing.

So, are the different stages of afterburner actually used in real life operation? Does the pilot have that level of precision in the throttle to do that?

This vid explains the motion, but if someone else can explain if the pilots ever hold the throttle on half or one third of AB range. It's pretty short.

I'd assume if you need to get over the detent, you push it to full AB. That's kinda the point, if you're in a fight, you use all the AB power you have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You learn something everyday. I never knew about AB detent, this is the first I have heard about it. So I will need to set a button on my warthog for this???

The Warthog throttle actually has a physical afterburner detent so you don't have to worry about using this option unless for some reason you don't like the Warthog's detent.

Yes to all of the above.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.