Thanks to the devs, 2.5.5 is apparently much more smooth

TwojaStara

I've noticed that the performance doesn't sink anymore for me especially in multiplayer and I've stopped having FPS drops even in high object count scenes after upgrading to 2.5.5. The VR crowd (and not only them) are reporting similar increase in FPS https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242449

It hit me especially hard in MP, and I've been starting to think about upgrading to GTX 2070+ to get like 8GB VRAM . I don't know which of the below fixes contributed to such (dramatic for me) improvement:

- new trees?

- memory leak (RAM or VRAM?)?

- MP code/protcol change?

... but "THANK YOU, ED" :) If you ED devs could explain what they did even in the most advanced IT jargon it would be even more awesome :)

Specs: i5-7600K 4.2GHz/GTX970/16GB RAM/non-VR/SSD - minimum 50-60fps everywhere in MP, in SP often > 110fps. Previously I was having freezes/microsutters down to single-digit FPS...

Interesting, we have the same amount of RAM, you have a better cpu than mine (i5 7600k vs Ryzen5 2400g) but i have a better graphics card (gtx970 vs gtx1060 6gb), yet i am no way near minimum 50-60fps online, more like 25-50max. To jest dziwne, prawda? :)

Yesterday i felt slightly better performances on some servers and worse on others like GAW for some reasons. Not sure if it is related to the update but it is good to know that this update may have improved things online.

My load times seemed improved. Anyone else think that?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

My load times seemed improved. Anyone else think that?

Faster here too, especially noticeable with the Tomcat. Id say easily twice as fast as before.

- When already in the mission, jumping into a plane (where you have multiple to choose from), the way it loads in, building shaders etc. Much faster in 2.5.5.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• ED Team

I fly in VR only, seeing an increase here as well which is nice.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Was better all round. There are a lot of changes. The netcode moved to LEDBAT. We still managed to break it on our servers with a very high unit count and moving units. VR FPS is quite reasonable, the new swaying with the wind trees look better IMO, there's some under the hood changes regarding AI and wind that hit us hard. Still going through scripting looking for issues though, it's early days.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Something has definitely improved indeed. My VR loading times had increased, and my general performance has gotten better as well. I accidentally left terrain shadows to "Default", which normally murders my system in VR, yet flying at treetop level in the Anton I didn't notice any performance dip.

I like the new trees , and find 2.5.5 smoother as well . Nice !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

+1 on the improvement in the 2.5.5. Version. I would normally get an fps of 50-65 before now but I am getting 80-85 now on 2d screen.

I haven't seen much on the VR side as many variables are at play here. From steam vr to dcs PD settings.

Yet to see new trees effect. Would look out for those.

Good job ED.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yet to see new trees effect. Would look out for those.

Good job ED.

Unfortunately, in the Caucasus map at least, the trees aren't exactly 'new', they've been a bit downgraded actually:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3939369#post3939369

As to the movement in the wind effect of the trees...that's been around for a year or more...and is very cool. :-)

Nineline has stated that they're looking into the new tree tweak in the Caucasus region. They looked really good (better some would say) prior to this 2.5.5 update.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

VR user here and i noticed improvements in performance too. Noticeable smoother.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Interesting, we have the same amount of RAM, you have a better cpu than mine (i5 7600k vs Ryzen5 2400g) but i have a better graphics card (gtx970 vs gtx1060 6gb), yet i am no way near minimum 50-60fps online, more like 25-50max. To jest dziwne, prawda? :)

Yesterday i felt slightly better performances on some servers and worse on others like GAW for some reasons. Not sure if it is related to the update but it is good to know that this update may have improved things online.

The factors missing are his in game settings and resolution he's running at. Can't compare hardware specs alone

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I recommend cleaning up the driver's and DCS's shader cache after such a big update which touches graphics, to avoid glitches.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I am not sure which did it, dcs 2.5.5 version or my deleting fxo and metashader2 folders, never got a 112fps before since playing dcs.

In old dcs open beta version, 50-65fps was my regular marks. After updating to 2.5.5patch fps went to 80-90 range.

Now I am getting into the 112fps mark.

I want to believe the 2.5.5 patch did it.

Amazing

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'm also very grateful that I can now set the onscreen text size to a readable size.:thumbup:

Just praying for a means to control the position of kneepads and control indicators without resorting to editing luas some day.

Initially posted to the VR performance improvement thread .. but fits here better.

Title.

Was the 50% increase an exaggeration?

Depends on the context, I didn't happen to focus on VR-specific stuff, but a small and easy to fix thing in code can mean huge things in practice, if any of you are following Dolphin-emu progress reports such cases are documented time and time again ... optimization is a big deal.

About the impact of LABELS: Stable 2.5.4 (I'm Stable-only these days)

ku1JRs7.png

(is each of the labels it's separate draw call?)

02C45cX.png

Those could be draw call (CPU) related, something that might have been improved too even without the need of Vulkan API.

Same thing for the trees. The engine may be processing multiple trees more efficiently.

As in this example below, on the one hand it's not only about the API, if an implementation (code) of the graphics engine lacks optimizations it doesn't help if a cool new API is used. DCS may had some of those improvements in 2.5.5

1oeqPml.png

However on the other hand, you can see how massive the improvement can be when API features fundamentally better capabilities, not only does each draw calls cost much less on Vulkan API, it has the features to do things in one draw call that previous APIs cannot, so to answer the question, rumors of +50% increases MAY NOT BE SO FAR FETCHED. And the bigger question is, if +50% with just existing implementation improvements, what about the improvements with the new API .... so there you go :)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Non-VR here but I am seeing a performance increase as well...about 20 FPS on average. Thank you ED!!!

Which map?

I need to do some testing, but it appears that my FPS is actually slightly lower with this latest update, Caucasus in particular. 2.5.4 ran beautifully for me in comparison. I play in 4K.

Thanks, BJM.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Overall it seems clearer to me. The ground is better, the frames are smoother. During tanking you can see very nicely and I'm pretty sure the tanker was bobbing up and down more noticeably. Nice update.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Seems smoother here too. VR, O+. Thanks for the work...crossing fingers the VR improvements go even further. I'd rather give ED my money (for the next module, or two) than nVidia or AMD + Intel + Samsung, etc..for a faster computer.

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators