Russian missiles on US Plane

Hello,

after reading some various articles about Iranian F-14s, one says that Iranians have upgraded the Tomcat to use AA-11 missile (R-73), how could they have accomplished that? I know it is an heat seeking missile, but my guess is that some kind of equipment has to be there for missile launch? I hope you guys understand what I mean :)

The most amazing for me is The USS Stark incident where aperantly a business jet was modified

to fire an exocet missile. That means that the radar and fire control radar and pylons and other stuff was installed on the business plane.

Regards

Asrock Z270 pro4, i7 6700, gtx 1070

Everything is moddable. Here it's mostly an interface problem. All they probably had to do is modify the pylon on the jet so that the missile can be attached and "talk" to the airplane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everything is moddable. Here it's mostly an interface problem. All they probably had to do is modify the pylon on the jet so that the missile can be attached and "talk" to the airplane.

Curious as to whether they have HMCS with the R-73 too.

Hello,

after reading some various articles about Iranian F-14s, one says that Iranians have upgraded the Tomcat to use AA-11 missile (R-73), how could they have accomplished that?

You see when an airplane and missile love each other very much...

You see when an airplane and missile love each other very much...

Wait. I thought thats how sidewinders worked?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

One little thing also to keep in mind that the world of missiles isn't exactly black and white either.

At the end of the day the R-73 is a heat seeker and thus has everything it needs on board, really. As long as you manage to fix it to a pylon and get it hooked up to safely fire, it is probably going to work.

Advanced features like the infamous 'hook shots' require a whole lot more effort and might thus be less likely to properly work in what is essentially a field modification.

Some of these things aren't really about upgrading a plane's abilities in any way, but to just keep it in the fight. If you have access to R-73s but not to AIM-9s, having a missile that doesn't utilise all of its possibilities might be better than none.

I seem to remember the Iranians for a while tried (and possibly managed) to fire Hawk SAMs from their F-14s in lieu of Phoenix. No idea how well that worked, but the story goes that they got creative after realising they had no way of acquiring new Phoenix missiles.

If Houthi rebs can launch a Russian AAM from the back of a pickup truck and hit an advanced F15 Strike Eagle variant, I'm sure that the Iranian AF can figure out how to launch Russian/Soviet AAMs from an F14, haha.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

If Houthi rebs can launch a Russian AAM from the back of a pickup truck and hit an advanced F15 Strike Eagle variant, I'm sure that the Iranian AF can figure out how to launch Russian/Soviet AAMs from an F14, haha.

I think this is probably a valid point.

Nice one :D

Asrock Z270 pro4, i7 6700, gtx 1070