Actual EW modleing in DCS... - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Exorcet

EW is definitely due for an overhaul, though I have to admit that the change from the AI always blasting jammers to now where they'll hold off until locked by default was a nice improvement.

I feel like tight now it's a little too simplified. Nothing in DCS suggests the time, effort, and money devoted intergrated ECM in big fighters like the F-14/F-15 are of any value.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
Kang

A lot would be done if the effects of simplistic jammers that are actually in the sim would
a) work (there are examples of jammers that can be loaded and operated but do exactly nothing)
b) have an effect that is consistent or at least agreeable across all modules looking at it
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:26 AM   #13
EcceHomo

It is possible that a new EW situation will emerge at F-18C. If it's just noise suppression, there's no need to delay for so long.
EcceHomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Yeah but its grossly oversimplified. And I think you could end up with better effects if you modeled different types of jammers/ jamming techniques/radars etc
The jamming effect on the Mirage 2000 is quite nice, having the false contacts that show up when being jammed. The noise jamming on the MiG-21 is also quite nice IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcet View Post
EW is definitely due for an overhaul, though I have to admit that the change from the AI always blasting jammers to now where they'll hold off until locked by default was a nice improvement.
The AI jamming behaviour has to be set in the mission editor for each AI aircraft. Different options availble there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang View Post
b) have an effect that is consistent or at least agreeable across all modules looking at it
Yeah, that is indeed a big problem. Apparently every dev team has to development their own jamming effects for their modules, resulting in totally different jamming effects between different aircraft...

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcceHomo View Post
It is possible that a new EW situation will emerge at F-18C. If it's just noise suppression, there's no need to delay for so long.
Actually I'm hoping either the F18C or more likely the new IADS improvment will have something better. I very much like the ideas presented by TwojaStara in that other thread for more realistic sam radar/jamming modeling.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The jamming effect on the Mirage 2000 is quite nice, having the false contacts that show up when being jammed. The noise jamming on the MiG-21 is also quite nice IMHO.

The AI jamming behaviour has to be set in the mission editor for each AI aircraft. Different options availble there.

Yeah, that is indeed a big problem. Apparently every dev team has to development their own jamming effects for their modules, resulting in totally different jamming effects between different aircraft...
Yes the "effects" but thats all they are IMO. Otherwise its simply getting closer till you get burnthrough, which isn't always the case (it is with noise jamming).

I think the last point is pretty easy to solve. Have ED release a set of "criteria" of how each general type of jamming should effect different general types of radar displays. Same for jamming pods effects on SAM radars as TwojaStara mentioned in the other thread.