[REPORTED] JDAM 0 meter or 0 foot elevation bug (ctd)

Tj1376

In preplanned mode (PP) with a zero foot or zero meter elevation, you cannot "box" the PP1/PP2/PP3/PP4/PP5 boxes.

Steps to reproduce:

Stores

box the J82

efuz to instant

jdam display

qty, select station, rtn

msn

ufc tgt

elev, feet, 0 (target is ship), ent,

posn, select lat, 2, 241648, ent, 21 ent, verify coordinates,

select lon, 6, 543047 ent 06 ent verify coordinates.

Expected Result

At this point as the coordinates are valid, the PP1 box with an X through it should turn into a box (the X should remove)

Actual Result

X does not remove from box

Workaround

Enter an elevation of 1 foot - verify that cross is now removed from PP1 box

See attached track0ElvJDAMBug.trk

Mission is a homemade mission

Persian Gulf theater

Single Player

Latest Open Beta (no mods)

TJ

[NOT A BUG] JDAM 0 meter or 0 foot elevation bug (ctd)

The below was previously marked "not a bug" for reasons unknown and the thread locked. A 0 foot/meter elevation (and even a minus elevation) is completely possible with this weapon. Should we never wish to attack Netherlands (below sea level!), Australia, various cities in the United States, Argentina, Egypt, etc etc etc. The planners of this weapon surely must have devised it to be capable of hitting sea level and below.

If this really "is not a bug" can you please explain.

In preplanned mode (PP) with a zero foot or zero meter elevation, you cannot "box" the PP1/PP2/PP3/PP4/PP5 boxes.

Steps to reproduce:

Stores

box the J82

efuz to instant

jdam display

qty, select station, rtn

msn

ufc tgt

elev, feet, 0 (target is ship), ent,

posn, select lat, 2, 241648, ent, 21 ent, verify coordinates,

select lon, 6, 543047 ent 06 ent verify coordinates.

Expected Result

At this point as the coordinates are valid, the PP1 box with an X through it should turn into a box (the X should remove)

Actual Result

X does not remove from box

Workaround

Enter an elevation of 1 foot - verify that cross is now removed from PP1 box

See attached

Mission is a homemade mission

Persian Gulf theater

Single Player

Latest Open Beta (no mods)

TJ

It's not a bug because it should be in AGL, so the Netherlands can be attacked just fine.

Wait- the more I thought about this, the more this doesnt make sense

If the elevation of the target was in AGL, wouldnt all entries for targets on the ground be 0 feet/meters?

Are we positive this is AGL? Ive been using MSL elevation for quite some time....

TJ

• ED Team
Wait- the more I thought about this, the more this doesnt make sense

If the elevation of the target was in AGL, wouldnt all entries for targets on the ground be 0 feet/meters?

Are we positive this is AGL? Ive been using MSL elevation for quite some time....

TJ

Yes

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

As NL said, minimum elevation should be 1 foot AGL of the target point.

Also, in the future, best to post as a question in the general Hornet forum. If it is indeed a valid bug, then it will be moved to the Bugs sub-forum.

Thanks

Edited by Wags

Could someone explain in some more detail how that works?

It doesn't make sense to me that elevation for JDAM coordinates is in AGL, if that's the case why would we ever enter anything beside 1' when attacking objects on the ground?

Not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand it.

Hey sorry- Im just trying to learn. Please feel free to move this thread back!

Here is where I struggle:

If the elevation for the coordinates of the JDAM is AGL (above ground level.) - In all of Wags videos on this topic, he enters an elevation in the JDAM or JSOW- the elevation he enters must be the MSL elevation of the target (his static airplanes on the ramp for his latest JSOW video are not sitting 43 feet above ground level (AGL) - or put another way, his static aircraft are not sitting 43 feet above the ramp. - reference 1m 36s of the video.

Also, I was under the impression that the F10 map only provides MSL data? (this is where I get the data to enter elevation)

I totally understand if you want to say "well the way we designed it is for MSL elevation of non zero numbers and its working as designed." Ive spent 15 years now in software development and I can totally understand this statement.

But Im also wondering if Im missing something - in which case I really want to learn what and how and why!

You guys are the defacto experts on this matter - can you help us better understand how this tool works? Its really interesting stuff!

Thanks for everything you guys do to build such an immersive simulator where we can discuss these fine points!

TJ