Rudder control

BlacleyCole

Yes, I read that the rudder is rarely used in flight, if ever. It's mostly used for takeoff and landing.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Why on earth would you operate an ( or any) aircraft without rudder control? :-)

Because we sit in-front of a PC and simulate flight. ;)

I gather OP is asking because of flight controller limitations eg lack of rudder pedals or an axis for rudder input.

Unlike some other aircraft where the rudder can be used quite effectively in low-speed high-alpha flight regimes, the Viper (or HAL) doesn't seem to respond as well to this type of handling.

So no, not essential unless on the ground.

Incidentally, X-plane links the rudder to the yoke when using VR controls. I guess if it didn't you'd be constantly reaching down into the cockpit to 'virtually' grab and manipulate them. Does DCS have an 'auto-coordination' option? Although this would prevent proper aileron deflection when taxying in high winds. Granted that's not such an issue in jets.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.