Autorrotation - Freewheeling unit

ESA Dodo

Also note that we intentionally hold the rotor at 91% during the auto, as it's the most efficient RPM for our aircraft. Does the UH-1H also droop it that low, or hold it closer to 100%? That could also account for the lesser split, if the old Huey SOP is to hold closer to 100% in the auto.

From memory we (ADF) would aim for 70 KIAS and mid-green band (~320 NR) for a standard auto. If undershooting aim for 100 KIAS and bottom of the green band (~294 NR) or overshooting aim for 40 KIAS and top of the green (~339 NR).

Then of course there were the various other precision auto methods like 180s, 360s, s-turns, out-of-balance and plain old making shit up.

For the most part close enough was good enough with regard to NR control and the focus was on looking outside. The H model was also very helpful in that the sound of the rotor was usually enough to help manage your NR.

I also quite liked the 412 in that regard, she gave you plenty of warning when your NR was too high.

I don't miss the mast torque though. :)

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

From memory we (ADF) would aim for 70 KIAS and mid-green band (~320 NR) for a standard auto. If undershooting aim for 100 KIAS and bottom of the green band (~294 NR) or overshooting aim for 40 KIAS and top of the green (~339 NR).

Then of course there were the various other precision auto methods like 180s, 360s, s-turns, out-of-balance and plain old making shit up.

For the most part close enough was good enough with regard to NR control and the focus was on looking outside. The H model was also very helpful in that the sound of the rotor was usually enough to help manage your NR.

I also quite liked the 412 in that regard, she gave you plenty of warning when your NR was too high.

I don't miss the mast torque though. :)

- Bear

Ha, mast torque is a PITA most of the time, but one can overtorque significantly if needed and the transmission will take it. I know a guy who hit 127% for several seconds and it held together (though it went in for a rebuild after). Better than crashing though!

Sounds like our autos are a bit simpler, 91% rotor and 90kts for range, 70kts for min sink.

412 is a nice machine, but we could use more engine power for the hot/high environments we operate in so often.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2