Pacific Coast Air Museum sim?

mwr

A week ago I went to the Pacific Coast Air Museum in Santa Rosa, California, and "flew" their simulator set up for a P-51. I had the 3D headset/goggles on and as the sim was getting set up I saw "DCS World" for a short time at the bottom of the view. The instructor/assistant said they had $18,000 invested in it. Is anyone here familiar with this sim?

http://pacificcoastairmuseum.org/discover/flight-simulator

Better yet, I saw that the F/A-18, P-38, and Corsair are listed! :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

One has to wonder if they have multiple programs, also; the A320/Cessna etc. would be more likely to be in a civilian sim' s stable.

Great to see ED doing well in other markets as well though. :thumbup: The more folks that get interested in this stuff the better!

Edited by feefifofum

Better yet, I saw that the F/A-18, P-38, and Corsair are listed! :-)

Judging by the screenshots the F-18 (most likely the others you listed too) is running in FSX/P3D, not DCS

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

• 3 months later...

I can clear this up fellas. We built the sim from a very expensive at the time Cyberpower rig, add all of the options and you are up near that number. Buttkicker, Rift, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals...Time etc.

We put it in the cockpit of a L-29 Delphin to give a patron an overall feeling being in a jet before they get in VR. It's a complex setup, keeping all of the parts working together and the TM Warthog is really hard to have the public thrashing around breaking the stick off etc. The overall maint gets behind schedule on occasion with the skeleton crew so having everything work at the same time is difficule especially after updates. You guys know all of that part. I hope it was working well enough for you to have a nice experience. My buddy CJ and I have been flying Harrier formation lately and we are getting the bugs out slowly. They sell rides in it and the way I see it, if just 1 kid decides to get into aviation after he flies it then it was all worth the effort. My hope with the sim was that it would be a 2 seat Tomcat simulator. We keep the Sim Rig in the back seat but that's an easy mod. PCAM's Tomcat is one of the ones photographed in detail by Nick D for the HeatBlur version. (I was fortunate to get to take the Heatblur team up in a very lightly loaded Citation X for a proficiency flight out of KSTS Santa Rosa Airport while they were taking a break from the photo project.) Nick and his group are true enthusiasts and we had a lot in common.

I would be happy to send someone a few pics to post of the sim.

The sim was built by 1 SIM enthusiast/pilot and 3 other pilots to share our love of flying with the public.

We use DCS and Aerosim2.

Unfortunately Aerosim2 doesnt support the buttkicker and has a rudimentary flight model/physics but we take what we can get! We have had it flying for about 2-3 years I think.

Make PCAM a stop on your family vacation, pretty nice museum.

They are always looking for volonteers and donations.

http://pacificcoastairmuseum.org/

Will Whiteside

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Will, thanks for the great explanation of PCAM's sim. As I said, I flew it as a P-51 and had a great time. It was set up for low-level flying through virtual "bridges", I think near Las Vegas. It was much more difficult than I expected. I loved it and did get better with multiple tries. I did think the stick forces were not realistic (although I haven't flown a real P-51), providing not much feedback at all.

Will, thanks for the great explanation of PCAM's sim. As I said, I flew it as a P-51 and had a great time. It was set up for low-level flying through virtual "bridges", I think near Las Vegas. It was much more difficult than I expected. I loved it and did get better with multiple tries. I did think the stick forces were not realistic (although I haven't flown a real P-51), providing not much feedback at all.

Im working on it! Just ordered Sahaj RED AND BLUE SPRINGS.

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.