A tactic question

Pandacat

So when I cruise in hostile airspace and looking for target, not yet under attack, what engine settings should i be using?

1. Max continuous

2. Normal cruise setting

In post takeoff climb-out, what is the most efficient engine settings to gain max altitude in shortest amount of time?

I fly modern jet a lot more. So talking about the usage here, max continuous is more like max mil power in jet. Full mil power and WEP are more like afterburner in jet. Is this a fair characterization?

Thanks

Max. continuous 46inHG/2700RPM for cruise, map is not huge and you have plenty of fuel, so you do not need save it with lower power seting.

The best climb will reach with maximal power military power or WEP of course, but 46/2700 is enough.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

That depends on your speed and air temperature, among a few other things. In level flight, starting at 250MPH, you can activate war emergency power and as long as you keep your speed up, you should fly till you run out of fuel. The longest I've flown the Mustang with WEP was 20 minutes non-stop.

Make sure you refuel to 48-38%, and climb at full RPMs, 50-55", keep 200MPH throughout your climb. Watch your speed for judgement, not your climb rate. Remember to watch your coolant and oil temperatures, as this is a borderline climb. If done right, you can climb at 3,000-3,200ft/m.

Tip, have your coolant doors in auto after takeoff, but make sure your oil doors are open.

As for settings when scanning for targets, I like to fly at a pretty high power, between "max continuous" and full military. As long as I keep my speed up, I'm cool. And I fly pretty fast because it can reduce my risk of getting jumped. In a 51, you don't to get caught at low speeds.

This is all from my experience in DCS, and these are my adaption. It's in no way proper, as my 51 is held at the edge for a large amount of time.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:confused: WEP in the actual aircraft is achieved by pushing the throttle lever past the gate stop, by breaking the wire. Basically, the pilot simply pushes the throttle beyond the normal operating range.

In the sim, you would need a throttle with a gate stop to simulate this, otherwise the V-pilot could inadvertently push past the non-existent gate stop, which is not on his throttle.

As a work-around for this situation, in the P-51D you have an actual key press "<E>" to simulate breaking the gate stop and thus allowing the V-pilot to use WEP, by pushing this actual controller throttle to its furthest extent.

But having your throttle lower than the fullest extent after having activated WEP through pressing <E> is not the same as using WEP.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

:confused: WEP in the actual aircraft is achieved by pushing the throttle lever past the gate stop, by breaking the wire. Basically, the pilot simply pushes the throttle beyond the normal operating range.

In the sim, you would need a throttle with a gate stop to simulate this, otherwise the V-pilot could inadvertently push past the non-existent gate stop, which is not on his throttle.

As a work-around for this situation, in the P-51D you have an actual key press "<E>" to simulate breaking the gate stop and thus allowing the V-pilot to use WEP, by pushing this actual controller throttle to its furthest extent.

But having your throttle lower than the fullest extent after having activated WEP through pressing <E> is not the same as using WEP.

We all know that. But how is this related to my question?