Carpet bombing?

• 2 weeks later...

Philstyle and I have been fiddling around with the bombers lately. Phil was kind enough to record the occasion and publish it:

Problems we had:

Bombers facing backwards on spawn. This seems to be related to group placement. Switching around the position seemed to resolve it.

There was also a problem with keeping altitude when we added a landing waypoint at the end. With the waypoint added, they descended quite a lot after their bombing run.

I got it to work first time using basically the same method as you see on Phils video.

Built one box of B17s and set one waypoint about 20kms from the target and another a little beyond it then told it to carpet bomb which brings up a red marker that I placed over the target. I then added a box to the right and another to the left of the lead box and told them they were part of a bomber group and should follow the lead group (Task = Bomber Element' & Option='WW2 Big Formation' on all three groups). Yes they did inherit the command to carpet bomb. No need to instruct each box to bomb separately as they drop as soon as the lead bomber of the lead box drops (even if engine damage means they are miles behind) Every aircraft held its formation throughout the run and each box held its station relative to the lead box.

What I will say is that in some of the testing while on Speed-up I saw the subsiduary boxes go off on a bit of hi-jinks like children playing in the park running around their parents but as soon as they reached the WP before the drop they all dropped into the right formation again and behaved themselves throughout the drop. To stop this (as it makes them vulnerable to fighter attacks) I added Option = 'WW2 Bomber Element' to the lead box at every WP and it seemed to stop the hi-jinks. I did not have to do this for the subsiduary boxes as well because once linked to the lead box at WP 0 they do not have their own WPs any more. Phil does not do this in his video so maybe the behaviour is just random and it is coincidence it stopped. I saw that it is possible to tell the boxes to only follow the lead box as far as WP x at which point I suppose you start giving them WP of their own to follow. Might be useful if you want them to hit separate targets after the initial point then rejoin after dropping if the targets were close, eg buildings either side of a large airfield or town, or make their own way home if they were hitting widely spaced targets eg All fly together to a point North Of Caen then one group hits Caen while another splits away and hits Le Havre.

Edited by Roblex

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

• 2 months later...

Total sim newbie here but getting there through forums, trial and error and lots of swearing. Thanks guys and girls.

Finally got bomber groups to drop their bombs but how does one get the formations to split again?

They obviously need their own waypoints but I'm totally flummoxed! They split at the appropriate waypoint but the following groups then go a bit wayward!

Also joining at a waypoint?

If the lead has land as his DP, they should (eventually) make an attempt to try to land. Last time I tried this was when Normandy first became available for EA and the formations were a bit chaotic to say the least. I'm not convinced you could get all the wings to break up and go different places, but someone might have gotten more luck trying that out.

Total sim newbie here but getting there through forums, trial and error and lots of swearing. Thanks guys and girls.

Finally got bomber groups to drop their bombs but how does one get the formations to split again?

They obviously need their own waypoints but I'm totally flummoxed! They split at the appropriate waypoint but the following groups then go a bit wayward!

Also joining at a waypoint?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

While you sleep I've been swearing!!!

The answer to my own problem so far has been to keep the individual groups separate with their own closing waypoints, adjusting speeds to get eta at last waypoints the same. Each group having its own carpet bombing destination set close to each other. No crashes yet.

Of course the groups can go onto separate targets.

A bit long winded but seems to work ok.

I am sure there is a better solution

• 1 year later...

I just tried this again after a long while away from WW2.

The B17's just will not carpet bomb for me?

Is there a way to fix this? The B17 is nicely modelled, but apart from shooting the heck out of my Messerschmit, they don't drop any bombs!

Then there is the deadly accuracy of the AI B17 crew......can this be turned down a tad, say in the AI level of the unit? At the moment attacking a B17 Box is almost suicide?

I know, its probably how the Luftwaffe felt, but to make our "game" a bit easier can it be looked at?

Tally ho!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky