Bomb delay?

Reflected

I recently went on a low level ground attack mission. I flew in hugging the ground, set the switch next to the rocket selectors to "delay" and released my bombs as I passed over the target. My Mustang broke to a 1000 pieces mid-air. Apparently that one is not the bomb delay switch? How can I do it?

Thanks!

It's a rocket delay switch indeed. There is no means for the pilot to alter bomb fusing in P-51D.

Even if there was, as of now, DCS doesn't simulate delayed fusing anyway, so forget about skip bombing and drop'em from altitude.

Maybe when WWII map comes, this aspect will get looked into. I hope!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It's a rocket delay switch indeed. There is no means for the pilot to alter bomb fusing in P-51D.

Even if there was, as of now, DCS doesn't simulate delayed fusing anyway, so forget about skip bombing and drop'em from altitude.

Maybe when WWII map comes, this aspect will get looked into. I hope!

Afaik delay fuses are implemented for the german warbirds. (but no real "skip bombing", though, due to lack of physics)

The most allied country's use mechanical Fuses, not sure for the P-51 probably some one knows more, that's mean delay can only made by ground crew before take off.

Germany use electric fuses where the pilot can adjust delay over the ignition switch console in the Plane.

For future there should probably some adjustments where you can select delay before flight.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 9 months later...

Lack of bomb delay fusing in DCS. The ability to enter a delay of dumb bomb detonation would add significantly to realism and the player's bombing skills. Very low level bombing and skip-bombing were valuable techniques in WW2: e.g. the Mosquito raids on the Amiens prison (operation Jericho)and the Liberators on the Ploesti Oil refineries (operation Tidal Wave). Try it any lower than 500 ft in DCS and you're dead. Given the brilliance of the DCS developers, I wonder how hard it could be to allow the player to dial in (say) a 1.5 or 2 second delay when bombing up before a mission?.

Edited by michelip

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity, wouldn't this "feature" require some physics rework within the game engine? Instead of detonation on contact, a bounce- based on AoA, and then contact with the target? :huh:

To be clear, I am referring to skip bombing- perhaps I'm in the wrong thread, but I thought it would be relevant to the discussion.

Edited by DoomEngine
clarity

Well, there already are gun rounds riccochets (not sure about spelling, but w/e, you know what I mean), using those physics for bombs for starters would work.

As for bomb delay, the delay itself wouldn't be a problem I guess. But rather making GUI for it and then altering the effectivness of the explosion.

US, British and Soviets used mechanical fuses, they had to be set on ground - so maybe right-clicking a selected bomb in the loadout selection menu and going from there?

Not to mention there were different kinds of fuses with different delay spans etc.

And yes, even the modern jets we got should use those. Su-27 and A-10 included.