JSOW maximum range

Martin2487

What is the maximum range AGM-154 (at high altitude release)? In DCS, I have so far successfully launched on target at a distance of about 57-59 NM. In public sources, the maximum range is usually 70 NM (at high altitude). I am not able to reach this value in DCS. Or do you have some other experience and knowledge?

Remember: the public sources probably list the maximum theoretical range of the weapon itself (and even then is not likely a truly accurate number, it could be significantly shorter or longer in actual use) not the maximum range when employed from our air frame specifically (legacy Hornet in this case). It depends largely on altitude and speed of release. There are air frames that can fly higher and faster than our Hornet and would therefor be able to launch it from further out.

The product brochure for the JSOW advertises a 12:1 glide ratio. This is a publicly available document, so take it with a grain of salt, but that means that for every foot/meter/NM of altitude, you get 12 of standoff. So if you're up at 30k ft, (5 NM) you should get 60 miles of standoff, give or take.

I've gotten consistent kills with C variant at 50miles from A34 @ 275kts

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

• 2 weeks later...

I did some tests. At a height of 46,000 feet and a speed of about Mach 0.9 I was able to reach a range of 65 nm JSOW.

Yet I do not see IN RNG on HUD. I reported it as a bug(https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244186). Yes, it is possible that the ring on HSI is not a dynamic launch zone, although it varies depending on height and speed. But I was a little annoyed that you closed the topic right now. I would like to say to someone from the developers because I believe that the bug is if I'm in the range parameters and the aircraft tells me not.

The problem is that the HSI circle is stuck at a range of 58 to 59 nautical miles from the target. Although I have shown that it can be fired at a greater distance without any problems. The indicated altitude and speed are no extreme flight parameters to make the airplane unable to calculate.

It is also illogical because the dashed line represents the predictive maximum range and the circle on the HSI varies with height and speed.

The bug thread was closed because they haven't implemented the dynamic launch zone feature yet.

The JSOW has only just been added to DCS, we have to be a bit patient to get all the features.

The bug thread was closed because they haven't implemented the dynamic launch zone feature yet.

The JSOW has only just been added to DCS, we have to be a bit patient to get all the features.

But I'm talking about what we already have on the plane. Circle on HSI which shows whether it is possible to shoot or not and I claim that the calculation of that distance is wrong. I do not know exactly what the circle is called but I think that there is no problem that something is not implemented but that what is there now counts wrong. I appreciate the work of developers and I just wanted to help with feedback.

I did some tests. At a height of 46,000 feet and a speed of about Mach 0.9 I was able to reach a range of 65 nm JSOW.

Yet I do not see IN RNG on HUD. I reported it as a bug(https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244186). Yes, it is possible that the ring on HSI is not a dynamic launch zone, although it varies depending on height and speed. But I was a little annoyed that you closed the topic right now. I would like to say to someone from the developers because I believe that the bug is if I'm in the range parameters and the aircraft tells me not.

The problem is that the HSI circle is stuck at a range of 58 to 59 nautical miles from the target. Although I have shown that it can be fired at a greater distance without any problems. The indicated altitude and speed are no extreme flight parameters to make the airplane unable to calculate.

It is also illogical because the dashed line represents the predictive maximum range and the circle on the HSI varies with height and speed.

No, the cirlces are not stuck at any range.

They are simply not correctly implemented. You can always launch when the IN RNG countdown is at 1 minute and the JSOW will still hit the target.

I knew this was going to happen when Wags showed the video of the JSOW and the missile reached the target at almost 600 knots, then I realized that we had a lot of margin in airspeed to trade for range.

• 2 years later...

Hmmm I'm struggling to get above 38,000 ' with 4 JSOWS, so it would seem a lot has changed since they first came out?

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

On 6/16/2019 at 7:40 AM, Cytarabine said:

So given range relative to map size; take off, get to altitude, fence in, release, turn home, land, shirtless beach volleyball on the deck.

Correction: must add baby oil to all exposed surfaces before playing the volleyball, then a boombox must play select 80's rock hits