Non-censored liveries as optional download

Nealius

I understand some countries have laws against display of the Swastika, and thus the default liveries included with DCS aircraft such as the Bf 109, Dora, and now the Anton, have censored tails. However, those of us who don't live in countries with such legislation, and prefer historical accuracy, would like to have non-censored versions of the same liveries. Often when user-created liveries are released, they do different liveries than what's included, and thus we are typically stuck with censored versions of those liveries.

Since user-created livery packs often include both censored and "historical" versions of the same livery, I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible for "historical" versions of the default liveries to be available for download at release.

• Like 1

they changed the law recently to allow Nazi symbols in entertainment and games in Germany.

article 86a now covers computer games with the social adequacy clause.

so they are fair to use.

does any other nation ban them?

if not then this practise is redundant.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

The skins with swastika are in liveries folder. You just have to make a copy of skin folder you want to change, remove the "_s" from skin with swastika and delete the file without it, and store in saved games livery folder so it doesnt get "fixed" with updates.

The skins with swastika are in liveries folder. You just have to make a copy of skin folder you want to change, remove the "_s" from skin with swastika and delete the file without it, and store in saved games livery folder so it doesnt get "fixed" with updates.

Is this with the A-8? With the Bf 109 no such liveries exist--only the censored versions.

109 doesn't, unfortunately. User-created liveries from the User Files often come with both historical and censored versions, but for the default liveries like "White 5," we're permanently stuck with the censored version.

But I guess if the Dora ships with both, the Anton will too? I don't have the Dora myself.

Actually you can, if you use JSGME here is a package I created some years ago and still use to date. Afaik it passes integrity check no problem, at least on Burning Skies it does. You can also do it by hand, just add the bf-109k-4_cross.dds and change the lua to include it on the skin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5c5czqlu013iet/Bf%20109%20historical%20Skins.zip?dl=0

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 3 weeks later...

Google DCS FW-190 full swastika liveries, it'll be on Lock On. I put it there instead of UserFiles, because I didn't want to get ED a bad rep or anything.

Edited by Magic Zach
nvm

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

The statement "I understand some countries have laws against display of the Swastika" should be taken with agrain of salt. Certainly if I stick a swastika on my car anywhere in Europe I will get fined.

But have you seen any WWII movie where the Luftwaffe aircraft don't have a swastika? The swastika is not forbidden if it's part of a historical context which is what we have in DCS World. I do not believe that ED would be in any trouble if they included an option under "Special" to enable true historical emblems.

However, there should be no swastikas in places like splash screens.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Google DCS FW-190 full swastika liveries, it'll be on Lock On. I put it there instead of UserFiles, because I didn't want to get ED a bad rep or anything.

Works fine, thanks! Wish I'd understand how you did it. I opened the files in PS and saw just black.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

But have you seen any WWII movie where the Luftwaffe aircraft don't have a swastika? The swastika is not forbidden if it's part of a historical context which is what we have in DCS World.

Unfortunately there are many in the DCS community who would actually disagree with you. This is a taboo subject for many still, even today, so I feel it is necessary to get that squared away.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 years later...

You can download skins from users and they usually have swastika not mentioning better looking skins + if you have campaigns for spitfires/mustangs you have skins from reflected and they have also swastika. This pisses me off. Why dont planes have swastika when they had it in real life ? Old sturmoviks had it now even new dont. You will find many skins also some czechoslovak or izraels ones, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alcatraz SVK said:

This pisses me off. Why dont planes have swastika when they had it in real life ?

probably because the swastika symbol is illegal on a lot of countries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bans_on_Nazi_symbols

I know,  Abiding by the law can piss some people 🙄

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Legal where I am. A little while back we had an Indian chap paint a massive swastika on his roof, although obviously for him the symbol isn't a nazi one.

Strangely, there is a reenactment group here that reenacts the 1st SS panzer division (the one that carries hitlers name). They fly the flags and everything. Several years ago they held a "regimental dinner" where they all dressed up in officers uniforms, arm bands and all and got together for a themed dinner. They even had a portrait of hitler at the head of the table. That one made it to the news as being particularly bizarre.

4 minutes ago, Shibbyland said:

Legal where I am

So?  DCS is sold worlwide and I'm sure that ED tries to be within the law of as many countries as possible.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

So?  DCS is sold worlwide and I'm sure that ED tries to be within the law of as many countries as possible.

I don't understand your petulance. I was merely commenting that it was legal, I don't give a damn whether it's in game or not. Just commenting for interests sake. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shibbyland said:

I don't understand your petulance. I was merely commenting

I was doing the same .. will get out of your way from now on 😐