Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Yeah, I would srongly recommend anyone thinking of buying a Rift to buy it from Amazon and not directly from Oculus - especially if you are unsure.

I returned both the Rift S and the Quest and with both of them, whilst reading horror stories about returns on the Oculus forums, I took my headsets to the post office (less than 100 yards from my house, fortunately) and the refund was on my account within 2 hours.

If I'd wanted, I could have filled out the return request and then still had 3-4 weeks to fully test the headset and see if the problems could be fixed or would become acceptable and then still handed it in and got a refund within hours.

Seems the sensible way to go, with so many different headsets being released this year - the Year of VR :)

One way or the other....

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*A Rift S review*

(Caveat: My eyes seem okay and my ears are likely poorer-than-average. YMMV.)

TL:DR - If you liked the CV1, but you crave more clarity, buy it. And probably some headphones.

As someone who's been using one since early 2017, I'll admit that I packed away my faithful CV1 with something of a lump in my throat. Together we had dived the oceanic trenches, explored the galaxy, climbed the peaks of the world, slaughtered the denizens of Skyrim, flown the skies from Nevada to Normandy, and... er… run about as a small cartoon fox.

However, the headset is dead. Long live the headset! Here are my thoughts on the Rift S (as compared to its predecessor), with particular reference to DCS.

*Initial Thoughts*

The deletion of the trackers means you get less in the box for your money. That said, it has a rather less industrial look that the CV1, seeming smaller and sleeker.

*Setup* 10/10

Simple. Plug in. Oculus home spotted it, downloaded drivers, a short vr-noob tutorial and it was up and running. Fewer things to plug in, and half the number of batteries for the wagglies.

*Fit and Feel* 9/10

Excellent. Better than the CV1, which was (IMHO) better than the Vive for weight and general fit. The weird wheel-band is actually way easier to use and adjust than the CV1's straps, while the lower button allows for a closer fit to the face. No sweaty mask-mark. Read that last one again. Yup, none. After a 3-hr session last night I had a clear (and dry) forehead. It also feels almost weightless once on. I was never bothered by the mass of the CV1, but the S feels lighter. Smaller too, as those moments of knocking your controllers off your headset seemed reduced. And cooler (both me and the headset), particularly at the end of a long session. I personally like the light-guard at the nose, but you can press the lower button to slide the headset forward for a quick peak of your keyboard if necessary. Still needs a wiggle about once on to find that sweet spot (but the CV1 had that too, particularly until you got the fit right). Fits fine over glasses, and easier to don and doff over them. Interestingly, I had the odd moment of looking-down-bad-binoculars with the CV1, but not in the S (perhaps as it fits me more closely). Not adjustable for IPD. Mind you, I reckon most people got that wrong, and its deletion saves us a few pennies. No trace of motion-sickness, but then I am pretty robust and VR-acclimatised.

*Tracking* 10/10

Spot on. Better than the CV1 as it seems harder to occlude or confuse the tracking. Sharp, smooth, and copes well with leaning forward and down in the cockpit (which sometime confused the CV1). Controllers also tracked fine. Some reviewers have reported issues with drawing-the-bow motions with the S, due to the inside-out tracking losing the controller behind your ear. Tested this out in Skyrim VR - no issues what so ever.

*Visuals* 8/10

It's not a generational step above the CV1, but then it never claims to be. The cockpit clarity compared to the CV1 is... amazing, and really has to be seen to be believed. I am now able to read compass correction labels in the AV-8B. MFDs have all their text legible without guesswork. No need to mess about with PD to fudge it either. "Screendoor" (which I personally was never much bothered by) is still there on static images like loading screens, but you have to be pixel-peeping to spot it. I did get the odd "sparkly" frame as other reviewers have commented upon. Not often enough to be game breaking, but definitely a bit odd. Maybe they are subliminal messages telling us how great Facebook is (and if you believe that, you need a new tinfoil hat). Code glitch, more like, and hopefully get sorted. Minor reminder you are playing a game, that's all. My IPD is 66mm+/-, so it all looked fine and crispy and all 3D for me. YMMV. Minor niggle at the moment is that everything inside the cockpit looks great, but the canopy perspex and HUD glass seem to be so well rendered that the view outside seems (comparatively) worse. Like looking through a filthy window or smudged glasses. Something the software will catch up with in due course, I reckon.

*Audio* 7/10

Probably, the IPD-range notwithstanding, the Achilles' Heel. It's not that the audio is bad, per se. The quality is fine, with an absence of crackles or clipping. It may just be a consequence of a lifetime of loud rock music, but it is just comes across as rather... insipid. Even at full volume, you wish you could crank it up a notch or three. Not a deal-breaker, but definitely a Bad Doggy moment. Salvaged by the fact they have a headphone socket in a sensible place on the headset itself.

*Performance* 9/10

In short, same as the CV1 - give or take. My rig is a 16gb i5 SSD with a 1060 6gb GPU. CV1 ran at a solid 45 fps, in downtown Vegas with cockpit textures at 1024 and a PD of 1.2. In similar terrain, Rift S maxes itself at 40 fps with the PD at 1.0 and the visuals improved as described above. In other words, if you can happily run a CV1, you'll run a Rift S. Yet to play with the settings much from what I had the CV1 set at. The lower max fps may be an issue for the more delicate amongst you, but I suspect you'd be pushed to notice the difference without the fps counter up.

*Controllers* 9/10

Not used in DCS, I know, but included for completeness. Smaller, lighter, and mostly similar to the last iteration. Oddly, the ring-bit has been reversed in orientation. This makes them initially feel a bit top-heavy, but there was zero impact on my ability to hack-and-slay my way through the snows of Skyrim. Buttons are in the right places - same as the last ones.

*Look-through Camera* ?/10

Gimmick? Used it once during set up. Too grainy to be any use for reading knee-boards or the like. Not being wholly uncoordinated, I can move about a 2m.sq empty space without banging in to things. I can also find my own joystick and keyboard by dead-reckoning. Could be cool, but not for me. Haven't used it, so not prepared to rate it, to be fair.

*Value for Money* 9/10

It's an improvement visually over the CV1, but is it worth the money? Despite a gut reaction against "S" semi-generational releases, I would argue that it is. Instead of just looking at how much you pay upfront, consider the lifetime cost of the item. I bought the original CV1 for £400 back in 2017. Later that year, I bought the hand controllers for another £100. Have I had £500 of use out of the CV1 over that time? Yup, it looks like it. Steam tells me I have spent 150 hours in Skyrim. I reckon one could easily say I have equalled that in DCS. Add another 50 hours of other VR games (another conservative estimate). Therefore my CV1 setup has cost me 500/350 pounds, or about £1.43 per hour of play. A bargain, particularly for those of us old enough to remember stuffing coins in arcade machines. Two years later, the Rift S cost me 80% of the price for comparable hardware and improved visuals. I've only had 5 hours under it, so it's currently cost me £80/hr. Ouch. However, the more I play the cheaper each hour gets. Assuming a similar level of use as the CV1, even if I end up replacing it at Xmas 2020 the cost of having used it will have been less than £1.50/hour. Or, with there being about 570 days until Xmas 2020, a projected daily cost of £0.70... whether it is used or just an expensive paperweight. Compare to your own income and draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Cripple
Days to Xmas...

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

My experience exactly Cripple :)

Great to see you around again, was an avid reader of your Spit Pit. :thumbup:

Dave

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

how would one go about using the Rift S with a pair rather large over the ear-headphones like the AudioTechnica ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic 770/880/990?

Is is just a clear case of nope or "just" uncomfortable?

If nope, has anyone head of a 3rd party headstrap or something along those lines?

The reason for asking is that I don't want to spend $$ on a pair of IEMs that I already know I'll only use for DCS and nothing else.

how would one go about using the Rift S with a pair rather large over the ear-headphones like the AudioTechnica ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic 770/880/990?

If nope, has anyone head of a 3rd party headstrap or something along those lines?

The reason for asking is that I don't want to spend $$ on a pair of IEMs that I already know I'll only use for DCS and nothing else.

When I first brought home my Rift-S I tried with 2 different pair of headphones (Sennheiser GSP 350's and a pair of Bose Quiet Comforts) and at first neither seemed as if they could fit over the halo straps on the sides. It just seemed as there was no way to pull them down low enough to get to my ears, over the plastic side strap on the Rift-S.

It's also a bit of a juggling act as you have to put the VR headset on first and then since you can't see you have to do it all by touch. So I initially just thought it wasn't going to work. Then I read about more and more people saying that they got their cans to fit so I looked into this again, a bit closer this time.

After looking at the Rift-S off my head for a bit I noticed that based solely on dimensions, both of my earphones should actually fit. It was then that I discovered a bit of a trick that enabled my headphones to work. After you put on the Rift-S, put the headphones on as you normally would, and once you get them over your head you will most likely feel them unable to fit down over the Rift's side strap, however you can pull them out and away from your ears and (it's hard to describe exactly) pull them down just a little bit more and then you are able to tuck them UNDER the side straps.

They aren't entirely underneath the strap though. I believe just the very top of the ear cushions sort of slip in between the side strap and your head. You can do this since most ear cups allow the cup to pivot to adjust for head shape. In this position, they feel as if you wearing them normally and fit very comfortably. The Rift isn't pressing them into my ears at all, you just have to get the ear cups up, over and then under the side straps. Once you do, tighten the Rift-S as normal and away you go.

Now that I have been doing it for over a week its second nature and the sense of immersion I get with a decent set of headphones over my ears is top notch.

I can't for sure say if your M-50X's will work or not, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got all my cans to work after I really looked at how it all fit.

Good luck!

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
Science!

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Maybe this will help illustrate my point above.

First pic shows them trying to fit OVER the side straps. Second pic shows how I am able to tuck the top of the ear cups UNDER the strap and get them to sit nicely against my ears.

IMG_20190602_090534.thumb.jpg.d1dca21d722625f4bc65ffde834ab976.jpg

IMG_20190602_090558.thumb.jpg.066cdf7304ff465b158c28ed272678ef.jpg

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Just got back from BestBuy and picked up a Rift S.

Holy crap!!!

This is going to be awesome!

but.....they weren't kidding with the motion sickness. I started up just a quick free flight in the F-18 and did one roll. Stomach/brain did not like that at all.

I really hope it goes away after some practice.

I use a pair of M30’s - it’s snug. But they fit.

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Holy crap!!!

but.....they weren't kidding with the motion sickness. I started up just a quick free flight in the F-18 and did one roll. Stomach/brain did not like that at all.

Just like noob sailer when he goes first time on the sea.

After sometime when he got used to like old sea wolf.

Edited by wormeaten

Holy crap!!!

It will, and welcome to VR man! :thumbup: Just take it in small doses...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

*A Rift S review*

(Caveat: My eyes seem okay and my ears are likely poorer-than-average. YMMV.)

TL:DR - If you liked the CV1, but you crave more clarity, buy it. And probably some headphones.

As someone who's been using one since early 2017, I'll admit that I packed away my faithful CV1 with something of a lump in my throat. Together we had dived the oceanic trenches, explored the galaxy, climbed the peaks of the world, slaughtered the denizens of Skyrim, flown the skies from Nevada to Normandy, and... er… run about as a small cartoon fox.

However, the headset is dead. Long live the headset! Here are my thoughts on the Rift S (as compared to its predecessor), with particular reference to DCS.

*Initial Thoughts*

The deletion of the trackers means you get less in the box for your money. That said, it has a rather less industrial look that the CV1, seeming smaller and sleeker.

*Setup* 10/10

Simple. Plug in. Oculus home spotted it, downloaded drivers, a short vr-noob tutorial and it was up and running. Fewer things to plug in, and half the number of batteries for the wagglies.

*Fit and Feel* 9/10

Excellent. Better than the CV1, which was (IMHO) better than the Vive for weight and general fit. The weird wheel-band is actually way easier to use and adjust than the CV1's straps, while the lower button allows for a closer fit to the face. No sweaty mask-mark. Read that last one again. Yup, none. After a 3-hr session last night I had a clear (and dry) forehead. It also feels almost weightless once on. I was never bothered by the mass of the CV1, but the S feels lighter. Smaller too, as those moments of knocking your controllers off your headset seemed reduced. And cooler (both me and the headset), particularly at the end of a long session. I personally like the light-guard at the nose, but you can press the lower button to slide the headset forward for a quick peak of your keyboard if necessary. Still needs a wiggle about once on to find that sweet spot (but the CV1 had that too, particularly until you got the fit right). Fits fine over glasses, and easier to don and doff over them. Interestingly, I had the odd moment of looking-down-bad-binoculars with the CV1, but not in the S (perhaps as it fits me more closely). Not adjustable for IPD. Mind you, I reckon most people got that wrong, and its deletion saves us a few pennies. No trace of motion-sickness, but then I am pretty robust and VR-acclimatised.

*Tracking* 10/10

Spot on. Better than the CV1 as it seems harder to occlude or confuse the tracking. Sharp, smooth, and copes well with leaning forward and down in the cockpit (which sometime confused the CV1). Controllers also tracked fine. Some reviewers have reported issues with drawing-the-bow motions with the S, due to the inside-out tracking losing the controller behind your ear. Tested this out in Skyrim VR - no issues what so ever.

*Visuals* 8/10

It's not a generational step above the CV1, but then it never claims to be. The cockpit clarity compared to the CV1 is... amazing, and really has to be seen to be believed. I am now able to read compass correction labels in the AV-8B. MFDs have all their text legible without guesswork. No need to mess about with PD to fudge it either. "Screendoor" (which I personally was never much bothered by) is still there on static images like loading screens, but you have to be pixel-peeping to spot it. I did get the odd "sparkly" frame as other reviewers have commented upon. Not often enough to be game breaking, but definitely a bit odd. Maybe they are subliminal messages telling us how great Facebook is (and if you believe that, you need a new tinfoil hat). Code glitch, more like, and hopefully get sorted. Minor reminder you are playing a game, that's all. My IPD is 66mm+/-, so it all looked fine and crispy and all 3D for me. YMMV. Minor niggle at the moment is that everything inside the cockpit looks great, but the canopy perspex and HUD glass seem to be so well rendered that the view outside seems (comparatively) worse. Like looking through a filthy window or smudged glasses. Something the software will catch up with in due course, I reckon.

*Audio* 7/10

Probably, the IPD-range notwithstanding, the Achilles' Heel. It's not that the audio is bad, per se. The quality is fine, with an absence of crackles or clipping. It may just be a consequence of a lifetime of loud rock music, but it is just comes across as rather... insipid. Even at full volume, you wish you could crank it up a notch or three. Not a deal-breaker, but definitely a Bad Doggy moment. Salvaged by the fact they have a headphone socket in a sensible place on the headset itself.

*Performance* 9/10

In short, same as the CV1 - give or take. My rig is a 16gb i5 SSD with a 1060 6gb GPU. CV1 ran at a solid 45 fps, in downtown Vegas with cockpit textures at 1024 and a PD of 1.2. In similar terrain, Rift S maxes itself at 40 fps with the PD at 1.0 and the visuals improved as described above. In other words, if you can happily run a CV1, you'll run a Rift S. Yet to play with the settings much from what I had the CV1 set at. The lower max fps may be an issue for the more delicate amongst you, but I suspect you'd be pushed to notice the difference without the fps counter up.

*Controllers* 9/10

Not used in DCS, I know, but included for completeness. Smaller, lighter, and mostly similar to the last iteration. Oddly, the ring-bit has been reversed in orientation. This makes them initially feel a bit top-heavy, but there was zero impact on my ability to hack-and-slay my way through the snows of Skyrim. Buttons are in the right places - same as the last ones.

*Look-through Camera* ?/10

Gimmick? Used it once during set up. Too grainy to be any use for reading knee-boards or the like. Not being wholly uncoordinated, I can move about a 2m.sq empty space without banging in to things. I can also find my own joystick and keyboard by dead-reckoning. Could be cool, but not for me. Haven't used it, so not prepared to rate it, to be fair.

*Value for Money* 9/10

It's an improvement visually over the CV1, but is it worth the money? Despite a gut reaction against "S" semi-generational releases, I would argue that it is. Instead of just looking at how much you pay upfront, consider the lifetime cost of the item. I bought the original CV1 for £400 back in 2017. Later that year, I bought the hand controllers for another £100. Have I had £500 of use out of the CV1 over that time? Yup, it looks like it. Steam tells me I have spent 150 hours in Skyrim. I reckon one could easily say I have equalled that in DCS. Add another 50 hours of other VR games (another conservative estimate). Therefore my CV1 setup has cost me 500/350 pounds, or about £1.43 per hour of play. A bargain, particularly for those of us old enough to remember stuffing coins in arcade machines. Two years later, the Rift S cost me 80% of the price for comparable hardware and improved visuals. I've only had 5 hours under it, so it's currently cost me £80/hr. Ouch. However, the more I play the cheaper each hour gets. Assuming a similar level of use as the CV1, even if I end up replacing it at Xmas 2020 the cost of having used it will have been less than £1.50/hour. Or, with there being about 570 days until Xmas 2020, a projected daily cost of £0.70... whether it is used or just an expensive paperweight. Compare to your own income and draw your own conclusions.

How did you find the FOV in your S vs CV1? Does it feel worse, easily adjustable to make it feel equal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy crap!!!

:thumbup:

Congrats! Don't worry you will get your VR legs soon and it won't bother you any more.

I think it took me maybe couple of weeks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How did you find the FOV in your S vs CV1? Does it feel worse, easily adjustable to make it feel equal?
Is a bit worse horizontally, like by 5 degrees-ish. Its the same or slightly better vertically. My experience at least.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Is anyone finding the “white flashes” getting a little more intense? I had a new one last night that lasted a few frames and I could see somthing like cross hatching in white green and purple.

Gave me the heeby jeebies for a moment.

Also I must say what a great review Cripple :) and also I’m sorry to hear your hmd is busted dburne

One of the biggest differences I’ve found over the cv1 is spotting stuff both in the air and on the ground. Woohoo I can see now the thing that is about to blow me out the sky ;)

So, an update. Turns out once I get the rift to work, I can exit DCS and hop back in as long as I don't exit the Oculus app. Once I do I have to restart the computer and unplug the DP cable to make it work again. I do feel the Rift S is way more comfortable than the vive pro. I do hate having to wear headphones as I can't use speakers with voice attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with the Rift S? When it works it is a thing of beauty. However the tracking issues and occassional black screens makes me want to throw it against the wall some nights. Mine seems to loose tracking sometimes but only in a couple of directions, like it goes from 6dof to 2 dof. Anyway I hope Occulus release an update soon that fixes the tracking issue...

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with the Rift S? When it works it is a thing of beauty. However the tracking issues and occassional black screens makes me want to throw it against the wall some nights. Mine seems to loose tracking sometimes but only in a couple of directions, like it goes from 6dof to 2 dof. Anyway I hope Occulus release an update soon that fixes the tracking issue...

Yup, same. Some days I swear I am going to return it before my 30 days are up, others I vow to keep it...

I have the same tracking issue, though it hasn’t happened recently. It goes from 6DOF to 3DOF, I posted about it in the Vr issues section.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I haven't had any tracking issues lucky. In my office with the blinds closed the tracking has been great. Just can't get the dang DP to stay connected. Or in reality think it's still connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had any tracking issues, except for when my large frame include the controllers.

But I am having a butt load of DP connections issues.

Only way I have managed to get it to connect was by plugging in the do first, then USB.

Then I would sometimes have black screen, this could be sorted by reseating the cable in the HMD side.

This to me sounded like bad cable issues, and started a ticket.

And in day three I got a lot of lasting rainbow noise over the entire panel.

But after a lot of fuffing last week it just started to work again.

Since then I haven't dared unplugging it.

But Oculus now wants to test my cable, and it's going to be at least two weeks to get a cable in return. :(

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Update:

My Rift S is back alive, and I figured out what caused my black screen issues!

My running two monitors - is causing my black screens.

First, I got it back alive by removing the Rift S completely from Oculus Home, then doing a repair of Oculus Home.

Then on a whim I shut down the PC, unplugged my secondary monitor, and booted back up. Put headset on and off several times, closing and reopening Oculus Home, and it worked every time. Shut down the PC, booted back up, and did again - worked every time.

Shut down again, hooked my secondary monitor back up, booted up - tried same process, second time trying Rift S by closing and opening Oculus Home, black screen issue again. Shut down, unplugged secondary again, booted up - worked each and every time.

So for whatever reason my Rift S only exhibits this black screen problem that has plagued me since day I got it, when I have both monitors plugged in. With just one it works just fine.

I would encourage anyone running two monitors and are having same issue to give a try and see if that works for them also. I have sent this info in to Oculus as well on my support ticket.

I may try hooking that second monitor up through the C-Port on my 2080 Ti and see if it will work properly in that configuration.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Update:

So for whatever reason my Rift S only exhibits this black screen problem that has plagued me since day I got it, when I have both monitors plugged in. With just one it works just fine.

I've also 2 monitors, gonna test it if im finished with my work, thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Ok so I moved my secondary monitor to the C-Port on my 2080 Ti.

All indications are the Rift S is working properly without black screen now with two monitors!

I would note my secondary monitor uses HDMI connector, however I was using an adapter to hook it into display port on my GPU. ( I did try hooking it directly to HDMI on GPU but issue persisted).

So plugging it into the HDMI port on my C-Port adapter, and running through it, appears to have solved the black screen issue with two monitors running for me.

Will report back if the issue does happen again throughout the day.

Don B

Oh yes. In the week I've had the S I think I have done more faffing and troubleshooting than in the 3 years with the CV1. Last night's little trick was getting a CRITICAL ERROR (their caps not mine) message saying the right controller had lost battery power. Changed the battery, still the same, restarted Oculus software from inside the beta tab and hey, 100% battery. For five minutes, then lost it again, repeat five times. On top of that I've had the black screen, white static, and severe headache from the strap being too narrow and crushing my temples. Other than that it's good music_whistling.gif

I've ordered a Reverb, and if it checks out I think the S will most likely be going back. I'll hang on to it for now though so long as I'm in the return window, it may just be teething troubles.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1