Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I was hugely disappointed with CV1 back in days mostly because they didn't keep a promise they give since DK2 days about affordable 400$ VR HMD.

Even then they have everything made HMD as Rift S is today and will cost less in production.

About prototyping it is actually based on Lenovo Explorer frame so the point is why they didn't do it that way in the first place for the exact same cost?

And FOV is not just displayed or just lens it is a combination and even today it is possible to do it in Rift S shell with just minor modifications. Like I say this lens is much bigger and circular in native size before it is cut to the frame for Oculus. Go, Quest and S using the same frame and lens. In my case, SW will require a new specific frame but the lens will be the same. And make a wider angle lens you need a wider display for it.

Only XTAL made and design specific unique lens for its product and usage and was design to stretch projection to wider output.

You have to trust me about that and here it is Rift S as real proof that I know what I'm talking about. Just ask your self which HMD you will buy first if the only difference is FOV and PRice, Rift S 100FOV for 400$ or Rift S 125FOV for 450$?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lens used in Rift S already shows pretty heavy image degradation along its edges, only the centre sweet spot is sharp. You can't just solve the problem by making bigger lens of the same type, the only gain will be few extra degrees of blurry mess.

You have to trust me about that and here it is Rift S as real proof that I know what I'm talking about.

Sorry, but the way you speak about it, shows exactly the opposite. But hey, you can always submit your ideas to Oculus, Valve or HTC. Maybe they're all wrong.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Am I the only one that feels the FoV is reduced in S? I don't see anyone mentioning it, but I feel that way every time I put it on. I use VR lenses, but have the S lenses as far towards my eyes as the setting will allow and still think it's narrow.

I know the lenses are 5mm closer together than CV1 - with my 69/70mm IPD maybe this causes the reduced FoV.

Returning it, anyway, so not that it matters to me any more. In the week I've had it I've done 1 hour in DCS World and about 10 minutes in another flight sim. Just don't feel comfy with that FoV.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Yes, it's been mentioned by several people even in this thread. It's an individual thing, for me it's about the same and I compared them in DCS back-to-back.

But don't forget that moving the headset closer to your eyes increases the FOV, it's adjustable part.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Am I the only one that feels the FoV is reduced in S? I don't see anyone mentioning it, but I feel that way every time I put it on. I use VR lenses, but have the S lenses as far towards my eyes as the setting will allow and still think it's narrow.

I know the lenses are 5mm closer together than CV1 - with my 69/70mm IPD maybe this causes the reduced FoV.

Returning it, anyway, so not that it matters to me any more. In the week I've had it I've done 1 hour in DCS World and about 10 minutes in another flight sim. Just don't feel comfy with that FoV.

Depends on size of your face and iPd, since my iPd is just lower than 63.5 my fov is actually bigger.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

My FOV seems same to me as I had with CV1.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've been testing as many games as I can. Just got out of Skyrim VR and it looks absolutely gorgeous - but that FoV is awful.

You know CV1 is likened to the "ski mask" view? Well what I see with S, even with the lenses adjusted as close to my eyes as possible, is not even like a telescope (or binoculars) - it's oval, with the vertical FoV larger than the horizontal. There's no way I can use that.

Looks like it'll be Valve's Index for me, then, though I'll certainly give the Quest a try.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I tested with ROV Test 2B which sets up a room with all sorts of objects to look at a dynamic vertical and horizontal FOV test.

With my Rift S, my horizontal FOV at which point the edges of the screen disappear for me is 88 degrees. I think when I tested this in my CV1 I was at about 93 or so. I'll have to reset that up to compare.

So bottom line, even with the Rift S as close to my face and eyes as I can, I did loose up to about 8 degrees of FOV. The tradeoff is much better clarity of course.

Truthfully, I notice it when I think about it, but once in a game, I can't say as I do.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Yep, there has been an update, two most important things from the changelog:

Rift S:

Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.

Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76325/rift-s-and-rift-1-38-ptc-release-notes#latest

Did not fix my black screen after closing oculus :(

Had to do the beta > reboot Oculus 3 times to get it back.

Edit:

I did unplug the USB port and plugged it back in and now it seems to work like it should.

I can close Oculus and restart the app and not get the blackscreen.

I think the bug has something to do with the passthrough feature. Noticed on one of the USB Card ports that it was all static. Motherboard USB port works fine.

Going to reboot and try to get it to fail again. Hope it's fixed.

Edited by Avi8tor0

From what I've been reading, the larger your IPD, the smaller the FOV. I have a 61.5 IPD and it feels about the same as CV1. Out of curiosity, if you push the headset closer to your face, your fov will increase a bit naturally, but do you start to see the left/right edges of the display? For me, as soon as I push it in, I can see the edges. Wonder if people with larger IPDs see the same thing.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

From what I've been reading, the larger your IPD, the smaller the FOV. I have a 61.5 IPD and it feels about the same as CV1. Out of curiosity, if you push the headset closer to your face, your fov will increase a bit naturally, but do you start to see the left/right edges of the display? For me, as soon as I push it in, I can see the edges. Wonder if people with larger IPDs see the same thing.

Sorry I can't say for sure. I just got a fuzzy edge iirc. I just set up my CV1 again (actually, having removed everything to do with it when I set up the S, all I had to do was plug the CV1 & sensors in, activate the Touch and everything was back as it was - no set-up required!) and it felt like a comfy old armchair!

Yes, S is clearer - but with that horrid FoV I won't miss it. CV1 was never that bad, for me, never had issues reading gauges etc - just the SDE, really. Bet Quest will blow me away :)

Kneeboard Guides

Just installed update and sound quality isn't really much better. The problem is less the driver for the audio but rather their poor placement inside the halo ring. If I put my hands close to where the speakers are located in the halo strap, I can easily double their volume and if I cup my hands up to the back of my ears (as if I am saying "What did you say!") it's even louder.

That shows me that all this volume is being bled out and not properly directed toward our ears and wasted. This is simply due to a very poor design.

For me, I am sticking to my headphones. I did notice that while a few pair of my cans didn't fit at first, if I played with them a bit I could get most of mine to fit. One tip is to try and wedge the ear cups (the part resting over your ear) underneath the side halo straps. Once I did that, I was able to tighten the headphones down enough and they fit perfect.

I for one, don't like being able to hear outside sounds while in VR as I feel it impedes immersion so this is working well for me. I just wish it was a bit simpler having to handle putting on both the Rift-S and headphones.

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
clarity

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I also still got two occurences of the static white flash so that's not much better either.

I am now running the Rift-S through a dedicated USB card that has nothing else connected so USB bandwidth is not an issue here but problem is still occuring post firmware/driver update.

I did reboot my rig after installing the Oculus updates.

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
You know, for kids!

So it looks like a lot of you, are having teething issues with the new S, while from what I can gather, the display clarity is a significant update would you say it’s actually worth me hanging fire for now with my purchase until the issues get sorted?

From what I can see from both here and the Rift forums, the main issues are

Display doesn’t turn back on, after first use.

Tracking is inconsistent, if you require to use the controllers close to your face, when firing a gun or using a bow. ( granted that’s not an issue for DCS but still )

Display flickers and gets white static after a while

Sound is pretty much useless ( hardware issue that’s unlikely to be fixed this generation, completely wrong design call by Oculus )

Battery’s is controllers run down extremely quickly due to not turning off. ( workaround is to remove battery when not in use )

Battery cover comes lose during gaming

Audio drivers crash during certain apps

Tracking crashes during certain games

Headset crashes during certain games, although that might just be the same audio crash that’s reported differently

All in all, that’s a fair list of issues, and although I appreciate its early days and it’s fair to expect gremlins with new products, quite a few of them could be seen as game stoppers.

I am seeing quite a few who are now returning their S for refunds due to these issues.

Now realistically I only use VR for DCS and project cars, so a lot of the controller issues shouldn’t be too much of an issue for myself, and likewise I’m planning on using a headset, so long as it fits over the halo for my sound as I believe full immersive sound is a big thing when it comes to VR.

I want to be transported away from my RL, not still listen to it while gaming. So again the audio issues I’m not overly concerned about.

But if you guys had a choice, between getting the S when you did a few days ago, or waiting for the issues to be fixed, which I’m sure they will be in time, would you have still got the Rift when you did, and is the increase in clarity worth putting up with the current bugs?

I’m unlikely to be able to get one till next week at the earliest anyway due to stock and being away on holiday, but I’m torn between grabbing one to better my DCS VR experience sooner rather than later, or hanging on and seeing how Oculus handle the current issues and what fixes they manage to come up with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

My fix for Rift S Black Screen in DCS.

I was able to overcome the Rift S Black Screen issue. Bought a USB 3 to USB Type C adapter and plugged the Rift S USB into my 2080ti instead of MB 3.1 ports. No more Black Screen crashes/cutouts.

Only issue I have remaining to troubleshoot = black or white only TGP screens (no details) VR Only. I expect it's related to my config as I previously had MFDs exported for my TrackIR usage.

My system: i9 9900 @ 5 GHz, ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti (11G), ASUS ROG z390 Max Hero XI, 1 TB M.2 drivers, 1 TB SSD drives. 64 GB DDR4 3200. All DCS Maps, Aircraft and addons. Win 10 64 bit Pro. TM Warthog stick / Virpil Base, TM Warthog throttle, TM Pend Rudder, exported MFDs + TM MFCDs for TrackIR, Oculus Rift S, Buddy Fox UFC.

BlackHat

BlackHat,
Wing Commander 23vEW

Discord:  BlackHat#7626

https://74vefs.enjin.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So it looks like a lot of you, are having teething issues with the new S, while from what I can gather, the display clarity is a significant update would you say it’s actually worth me hanging fire for now with my purchase until the issues get sorted?

From what I can see from both here and the Rift forums, the main issues are

Display doesn’t turn back on, after first use.

Tracking is inconsistent, if you require to use the controllers close to your face, when firing a gun or using a bow. ( granted that’s not an issue for DCS but still )

Display flickers and gets white static after a while

Sound is pretty much useless ( hardware issue that’s unlikely to be fixed this generation, completely wrong design call by Oculus )

Battery’s is controllers run down extremely quickly due to not turning off. ( workaround is to remove battery when not in use )

Battery cover comes lose during gaming

Audio drivers crash during certain apps

Tracking crashes during certain games

Headset crashes during certain games, although that might just be the same audio crash that’s reported differently

All in all, that’s a fair list of issues, and although I appreciate its early days and it’s fair to expect gremlins with new products, quite a few of them could be seen as game stoppers.

I am seeing quite a few who are now returning their S for refunds due to these issues.

Now realistically I only use VR for DCS and project cars, so a lot of the controller issues shouldn’t be too much of an issue for myself, and likewise I’m planning on using a headset, so long as it fits over the halo for my sound as I believe full immersive sound is a big thing when it comes to VR.

I want to be transported away from my RL, not still listen to it while gaming. So again the audio issues I’m not overly concerned about.

But if you guys had a choice, between getting the S when you did a few days ago, or waiting for the issues to be fixed, which I’m sure they will be in time, would you have still got the Rift when you did, and is the increase in clarity worth putting up with the current bugs?

I’m unlikely to be able to get one till next week at the earliest anyway due to stock and being away on holiday, but I’m torn between grabbing one to better my DCS VR experience sooner rather than later, or hanging on and seeing how Oculus handle the current issues and what fixes they manage to come up with.

Wow, nice list. ;)

I've suffered the periodic white/static flicker. But it's real quick and infrequent. Also, I use a decent set of ear buds for the sound.

Early teething bugs, and I'm confident they'll get it sorted out.

I've no plans to return it (unless it turns out to be a serious hardware issue). The "S" is much better than my CV1, and I enjoy flying with it.

Would I buy again, knowing I'm an early adopter? In a heart beat.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Would I buy again, knowing I'm an early adopter? In a heart beat.

Good to know :) Thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Issues? I haven't flown this much since i got my Rift s in years. Oculus just did release new drivers and updates for all the hardware to fix issues and improve the sound on the silly head strap speakers

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76325/rift-s-and-rift-1-38-ptc-release-notes

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

My fix for Rift S Black Screen in DCS.

I was able to overcome the Rift S Black Screen issue. Bought a USB 3 to USB Type C adapter and plugged the Rift S USB into my 2080ti instead of MB 3.1 ports. No more Black Screen crashes/cutouts.

Only issue I have remaining to troubleshoot = black or white only TGP screens (no details) VR Only. I expect it's related to my config as I previously had MFDs exported for my TrackIR usage.

My system: i9 9900 @ 5 GHz, ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti (11G), ASUS ROG z390 Max Hero XI, 1 TB M.2 drivers, 1 TB SSD drives. 64 GB DDR4 3200. All DCS Maps, Aircraft and addons. Win 10 64 bit Pro. TM Warthog stick / Virpil Base, TM Warthog throttle, TM Pend Rudder, exported MFDs + TM MFCDs for TrackIR, Oculus Rift S, Buddy Fox UFC.

BlackHat

Interesting... My Motherboard says it has a USB Type C port on the back. Haven't tried that. I've been using the USB3.1. Also, when I used the USB 3.0 via my Inatek PCIe card, my PC would not shutdown. I would attempt to shut it down, and then the system would just boot backup. So then I plugged the Rift S back into the USB3.1, all was normal.

I'm going to look at that USB C thingy...

probably can't, because I use the GTX1080, and maybe the Type C is associated with the onboard graphics of the MB?

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Did not fix my black screen after closing oculus :(

Had to do the beta > reboot Oculus 3 times to get it back.

Edit:

I did unplug the USB port and plugged it back in and now it seems to work like it should.

I can close Oculus and restart the app and not get the blackscreen.

I think the bug has something to do with the passthrough feature. Noticed on one of the USB Card ports that it was all static. Motherboard USB port works fine.

Going to reboot and try to get it to fail again. Hope it's fixed.

Similar to what I am getting.

At first I thought it might be fixed, after a reboot of PC and trying again, my issue came right back.

Still working with Oculus on Support Ticket also, just a lot of time between correspondence.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Received my S today and am I glad I sent back my O+ last month.

Once I had it set up and running I was immersed.

I wear glasses and have some other eye issues but I could certainly read the text and the instruments.

I will take some time tomorrow to fine-tune resolutions to the best that I can and await the DCS update.

I had only two 10 millisecond white/snow flashes during 2 hrs.

It is my first time in this medium and it will take me a bit to max out my settings OC Graphics card (1080) and OC MB.

I only had a little stuttering in Caucuses at 1.2 but runs smooth at 1.0. I have to figure out which smoothing settings work best. The ones with Oculus, Graphics card and or within DCS. I don't want to duplicate efficiencies.

This is my first and a keeper for me.