One CAG, but multiple CAG Birds? How does this work? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Nealius
Veteran

But we clarified that not all the colorful birds are in fact "CAG birds." One is the CAG bird, and the others are just "color birds."

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
Home Fries

All we are doing now is getting pedantic about a colloquialism. The birds are still referred to as "CAG Birds" in conversation, regardless of whether the CAG flies them. Case in point, if the CAG is a NFO (think RIO/WSO instead of pilot), he won't be able to fly helos or C/E model Hornets, but his name will still be on the side of those planes and the squadrons will still refer to them as "CAG birds."

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 AM   #13
Nealius
Veteran

What airplane the CAG flies is wholly irrelevant. Which squadron the CAG comes from is the important bit, as since there can only be one CAG s/he can only come from one squadron. So to rephrase my question, if the CAG is one person from one squadron, how can all the squadrons have CAG birds simultaneously?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #14
Cigar Bear

CAG is not some squadron CO randomly chosen to command the Air Group and may or may not even fly with his wing. There’s the answer if you can understand it.
Cigar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #15
CAG001

There are CAG Birds for each squadron aboard. The CAG is the Commander Air Group. These birds are listed under him but flown by many other pilots aboard. They are usually numbered 100, 200, 300, etc.. Randy "Duke" Cunningham made his 3 kills in a day in Vietnam in the CAG's "Double Nuts" (200) numbered F-4 in 1972.
CAG001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
Nealius
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Bear View Post
CAG is not some squadron CO randomly chosen to command the Air Group and may or may not even fly with his wing. There’s the answer if you can understand it.
Thanks for the explanation, although somewhat arrogant and condescending for no reason at all...why insult my intelligence for asking a question? I was under the impression that the CAG was the senior officer chosen from among the attached squadrons.

Last edited by Nealius; 05-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
Home Fries

Ok, now I see from where the confusion originates. The CAG and DCAG are Captains (O-6, like a Colonel in the Air Force) that are post-command (i.e. they have already commanded squadrons). The CVW is a "Major Command", and the CAG is equivalent to the CO of the aircraft carrier (the term "Super-CAG" was originated a while back once this distinction was made, as CAG used to be subordinate to the carrier CO).

The CAG and DCAG are selected specifically as carrier air wing commanders, with the DCAG becoming CAG once the original CAG rotates out of his billet, and a new DCAG coming onboard to learn the ropes from the new CAG.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote