English cockpit?

Kev2go

will there be an English cockpit version coming out at some point in the future at it moves out of beta?

Most other modules have a translated version come from the developer.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

While the supplied manual is rudimentary, it has very good graphics of the instrument panel and views of the cockpit with each switch, gage, and control itemized in English. The cockpit is very simple, unlike the -109 or -190, so it takes only a couple of times to learn the switches and gages. An English cockpit, while nice, isn’t really necessary if you read the instructions.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Yes and no. The English cockpit would really help understand the gauges and what they are, but the more time you spend with a module that has a foreign language inside of the cockpit, you more the memorize what each particular thing does. Nobody learns a startup based off of the textured text, but the shape/position inside. People figure out gauges relatively easy as well based off of how they change and what controls inputted cause what.

Sorry but no, I don't. :) I want to jump in from time to time and if there is not atleast a english cockpit mod I can tell you right now, other modules that have translated cockpit options will be my go to.

I have nearly all DCS modules and believe me it already gets murky between a few Nato modules for me. (Where what is, what it's for etc.)

It's fun to mess around a bit for now, but after the initial fun wears down a bit, it's going back to the shelf until I can read the cockpit. =)

Maybe the I-16 was exported? Then I want Russian cockpits for F-18C, A-10C, etc., and in the metric system! Is it difficult for some individuals to remember the name and purpose of gauges in a foreign language? I-16 simple plane.

З.Ы. Как говорит наш дорогой шеф, в нашем деле главное этот самый реализЬм. (с)

Скрытый текст

Win 11, intel i9-14900K, NVIDIA RTX 4090 (24GB), 64 GB RAM, ASUS 2560x1440 + (3х1024х768), VPC Joy 3*Panels 

Пока не наступит завтра, ты не поймёшь, как хорошо было сегодня.

Maybe the I-16 was exported? Then I want Russian cockpits for F-18C, A-10C, etc., and in the metric system! Is it difficult for some individuals to remember the name and purpose of gauges in a foreign language? I-16 simple plane.

Yes, it was, I think Spanish built I-16s featured Spanish made and labelled instruments sometimes.

It's not that difficult mates, not to mention this aircraft is so simple it's a good start. I mean, even I know some instruments names, and I can read a bit of Cyrillic, a full MiG-21 Russian cockpit might be too much, but this one is really simple and a good start to know at least what those instruments are named in Russian given you already fly several modules featuring Russian cockpits.

Some tips to start with,

Скорост (skarost) - Speed

высота (Visota) - altitude

оборост (Oborost) - tachometer

надув (Nadub) - absolute pressure (manifold) in atmospheres

and there you go, you can fly a Russian propeller aircraft with that. Su-25 also biggrin.gif .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I am sure an English cockpit will appear as a mod soon. We don't need a debate about whether or not it is appropriate as every other module gets different language cockpits as required by individuals. If you don't want one, don't download the thing when it arrives.

Why does it always have to come down to people deciding what is and isn't appropriate?

English cockpit options for Russian aircraft

Mig15bis, Mig21Bis L39C & ZA , Ka50, mi8, Yak52

other foreign aircraft that have English Cockpit option

M2000C, C101

Aircraft that have cockpit language options other than English ( Ie Chinese)

Chinese

F5E, Mig21BIS, mi8

need i go on?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I think what this poster is asking is not which other aircraft have cockpits with languages other than the original manufacturers’ language, but do the F-18 and A-10 have cockpits on languages other than English? If they don’t, it’s a valid question of why not, and why no one has demanded them.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I think what this poster is asking is not which other aircraft have cockpits with languages other than the original manufacturers’ language, but do the F-18 and A-10 have cockpits on languages other than English? If they don’t, it’s a valid question of why not, and why no one has demanded them.

The meaning of my post is that the original cockpits are so good now (excluding the Ka-50) that you should not spoil them with mods and interfere with the developers' ideas. In addition, it does not correspond to realism, which is what the world of the DCS is striving for.

Скрытый текст

Win 11, intel i9-14900K, NVIDIA RTX 4090 (24GB), 64 GB RAM, ASUS 2560x1440 + (3х1024х768), VPC Joy 3*Panels 

Пока не наступит завтра, ты не поймёшь, как хорошо было сегодня.

AFAIK no, I don't think Hornet or A-10 features a Russian cockpit :huh:. Didn't search for them though.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

AFAIK no, I don't think Hornet or A-10 features a Russian cockpit :huh:. Didn't search for them though.

S!

maybe because there are more simmers from the western English speaking nations than there are from Russia

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

With the Fw190 and F-16 fuss I-16 topics calmed down quickly.

Anyway, funny stuff about this thread is nobody asked for an English cockpit in German aircraft :huh: . You got a Kraftstoffpumpen (or something like that) lettering and nobody cares, but a few Cyrillic instruments lettering (Russian took the time to put a lettering in most instruments, Germans didn't) and people freak out :doh:.

S!

maybe because there are more simmers from the western English speaking nations than there are from Russia

From my experience, the Russians are better at learning English than the Westerners at learning Russian, and they don't complain an English cockpit.

Personally I'm happy with the original cockpit. It's so simple that it becomes very quickly obvious what the various instruments indicate.

Still, I understand people who want an English cockpit, and I would expect that either Octopus or a knowledgeable simmer will create one.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

I-16 English Cockpit MOD created by Quartermaster!

I-16 English Cockpit (Very nice includes all labels and Knots Airspeed)

Type - ModAuthor - Quartermaster

Date - 19.09.2020 02:48

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312282/

I appreciate leaving the beautiful cockpit authentic, but having English may help those that have not flown it for months or years pick it up fast, not to mention, many new users/enthusiasts will appreciate the option.

WISH LIST - IT would be nice if ED/ the Octopus Developer just added this mod to DCS Core Game and made it a Cockpit Customization option in SPECIAL Menu just as we have for Viggen M2000C and others.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

From my experience, the Russians are better at learning English than the Westerners at learning Russian, and they don't complain an English cockpit.

Personally I'm happy with the original cockpit. It's so simple that it becomes very quickly obvious what the various instruments indicate.

Still, I understand people who want an English cockpit, and I would expect that either Octopus or a knowledgeable simmer will create one.

Many words in Russian are very similar to the English counterparts that theyre practically english words written in cyrillic...but not everyone wants to learn to read another language to fly in a game, it adds significantly to an already steep learning curve. Same with swedish for the viggen, french for gazelle, m2000c

Heres another way of looking at it: regardless lof complexity or simplicity of the airframe, by having cockpits in the players native language (not just English) you are able to simulate the linguistic familiarity of a pilot whose cockpit is in their native language...ie it is as comprehensive, natural and effortless for me to read a Russian cockpit in English as a russian is to read a mig in russian. No matter how familiar i get with the language, it will always be different and require an additional mental translation step that a native speaker wouldn't need. Translated cockpits= symbolic simulation, original language cockpits= literal simulation.

I used to be a Spanish translator many years ago, with a primary focus on tactical air..i read the original (IRL) manuals in Spanish still .but what language is my c101 cockpit? English.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I was pretty sure there was a mod, but because i fly this module about as often as OctoG updates it, i couldn't tell for sure

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I was pretty sure there was a mod, but because i fly this module about as often as OctoG updates it, i couldn't tell for sure

Ha! I had to chuckle on that one. Somehow I missed this cockpit mod. Will give it a try. I do love flying this little bird. wish she got some more love again...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Many words in Russian are very similar to the English counterparts that theyre practically english words written in cyrillic...but not everyone wants to learn to read another language to fly in a game, it adds significantly to an already steep learning curve. Same with swedish for the viggen, french for gazelle, m2000c

Heres another way of looking at it: regardless lof complexity or simplicity of the airframe, by having cockpits in the players native language (not just English) you are able to simulate the linguistic familiarity of a pilot whose cockpit is in their native language...ie it is as comprehensive, natural and effortless for me to read a Russian cockpit in English as a russian is to read a mig in russian. No matter how familiar i get with the language, it will always be different and require an additional mental translation step that a native speaker wouldn't need. Translated cockpits= symbolic simulation, original language cockpits= literal simulation.

I used to be a Spanish translator many years ago, with a primary focus on tactical air..i read the original (IRL) manuals in Spanish still .but what language is my c101 cockpit? English.

Some of the Russian used in cockpits is pretty awesome. 'Small Gas' for 'idle' on throttles is a classic, but even though I can read Cyrillic I don't read it fast enough to find something in a hurry.

Given a choice I'll take English; that's where I do what little thinking I do.