Pene's F/A-18C VR Pit

PeneCruz

Mk14 Seat Construction

I started work on the MK14 Seat this weekend. Finally getting some headway.

I've gone with MDF for most of the constriction but will use some Alubond for the Parachute Bin Lid and some detail panels. Once I get this painted I'll look to construct the Foam Backrest shape and get a seat cushion done up.

FlDz84W.jpg

Getting the Seat pan done

iNMblL3.jpg

Test fit, needed some angle adjustment and had to sort out the stability issue and integrate it with the stick assembly.

mhqV0zY.jpg

Better fit and fixed the stability problem, started to add the Para bin assembly and checked the paint for Colour. Took it for a fly with some lounge cushions :) wife will be wondering :music_whistling:

XTvhpVK.jpg

That's it, I will look to finish the seat over the next week or so, but have to move back to the panel soon. I'm really looking forward to the Standby's and IFEI addition.

Thanks mate, yes I’ll be adding switches. Also the Master mode panel will get switches. The gear lever and hook Handle are a way off. If at all?

The seat is taking up a lot and time at the moment. Put its fun building it.

Working on the MK14 Seat

I've kept working on the seat, adding some more detail and finishing the parachute container lid. Geometry is good and i'm messing around with seat cushions to make sure the eye height is correct.

Routing the container top

Gq2lqJK.jpg

The Container lid complete fit used wider 6mm MDF to allow for the width of the headrest I plan to mould.

1UMCpMe.jpg

0NlJmbD.jpg

Back in the cockpit for a test fly

tLTt6uc.jpg

Seat Arm and manual release lever are next on the list while I wait for some panel plates.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Standby Instruments and IFEI

I have had a bit of time off the build due to some ramping work commitments. I got to work on the mock up standby's and the IFEI, also did some work on the left panel switches. The Standby's don't need to be functional as when you fire up the jet you have the VR HMD on and you see that. Just make the pit look complete. the Buttons on the IFEI will be functional however the displays won't be.

Standby's

bzmnTE4.jpg

IFEI buttons to come

UKd2mUt.jpg

The Pit state as of today. getting there!

EkbEhpa.jpg

I have installed simshaker and a buttkicker mini concert under the MK14 Seat. really adds to the immersion now I've tuned it to match the installation. Seat cover and a fair bit of work to do on the seat. My next priority is wiring in the remaining switches and getting them working with DCS Bios.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been a while since the last update, too busy flying!

finally got the wiring for the remaining switches done, making the pit modular was a bonus as it makes it easy to pull down and access behind the panels without a major rebuild.

DCS Bois is working well with just a couple of switches not quite doing what they should be doing.
Now deciding if I want to do the right side panel (not in the original scope of a VR pit) and work out a solution for the gear and hook, also need to make a drop on cover for the foot well and rudder pedals to hide the ugliness of the back of the front panel, will probably go for a Alubond structure to keep it light weight. Also thinking of adding a canopy bow to make entering and exiting the pit a bit easier. 

it’s now become a major geek attraction in our house!

DC0954B6-54FE-421D-9FE3-826E7641F53F.jpeg

3BDE0F05-3C3C-48A8-8028-3CF99B73C2B3.jpeg

931B55C5-C399-45E7-B1C5-67445D7A1FD9.jpeg

Edited by PeneCruz
  • Like 3