Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

That makes sense, but the BBI-64 doesn't have a ground connection, on 64 independent buttons with two pins each, as far as I can tell. I know there is a way to make it work because this is exactly the setup Brun used, hoping he or someone who followed his method can post a screenshot of how they got the encoders to work.

Picture of the board and wiring so far.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fAsTO2p4OMKJKVr0i2p6TqQ3bFCNCfjb

Edit: Looking at Page 3 of the this thread Brun posted a picture of his wiring, and it looks like one of the encoders (with the brown/white/gray wires) are going somewhere - but I can't tell how they are actually wired on the BBI-64 board. The other encoder weirdly has FOUR wires coming out (should only be three pins?), but covered in a sheath so I can't see what is connected to what. I dunno what to think.

Update: On a hunch, I tried soldering two leads to the middle terminal and taking each one to buttons 29 and 30, and then attaching two more leads to the A and B terminals and then connecting to the remaining pin on buttons 29 and 30. Now when I rotate the encoder it fires both buttons in both directions. I feel like I'm getting close but still not sure what I'm missing...

Also curious what settings for Pulse Width and ratio worked well on the BBI-64 Encoder software. If I change anything other than 1:1 and 48ms it does not register a signal at all.

Realize an encoder is not just two buttons. The encoder sends steps (of 4 usually) which tell other electronics (such as an arduino) whether it’s turning left or right and how far.

You probably need to tell the board you’re using that what you connected is in fact an encoder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: On a hunch, I tried soldering two leads to the middle terminal and taking each one to buttons 29 and 30, and then attaching two more leads to the A and B terminals and then connecting to the remaining pin on buttons 29 and 30. Now when I rotate the encoder it fires both buttons in both directions. I feel like I'm getting close but still not sure what I'm missing...

Sorry, only just catching up on these messages.

It sounds like you're getting there. Make sure that the two wires connected to the middle pin go to the ground rail on the board (the outside), and the two for either switch go to the +ve (inside). As in this image...

BBI-64_Layout.png

Like longuich says, you have to make sure (and double-check, because I didn't) that you have the inputs assigned correctly in the BBI config. As for the pulse width, I didn't find a value that worked with 100% reliability, either missing inputs or getting double presses. That's the main reason I switched most of my rotaries over to pots, only the COMM switches remain as encoders.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!!!! very very very nice work!!!

It's WONDERFULLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!

My congratulations Brun !!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

Finished!

UFC_image_007.jpg

Well, almost. Didn't like the finish of the knobs so I've taken them off for a coat of grey primer.

Really pleased with the shelving brackets I found on amazon. Bit over the top, but a perfect fit both physically and aesthetically...

UFC_image_008.jpg

Rushed to get the MFDs on, so at the moment they're a bit wonky and not in the right place. Should be easy enough to sort at some point.

UFC_image_009.jpg

The VR experience is a bit fumbly at the moment, but I'm confident that will improve over time. I've some little rubber furniture protection things on a few buttons to help distinguish them.

I came across a few issues with the design during assembly so will tweak those before making it available.

www.69squadrone.it

GigaByte X58A-UD7 rev 2.0 -- Intel i7 950 3.06 Ghz (OC 3.20) -- Geforce GTX 750Ti -- DDR3 Corsair 2000 mhz 12 GB -- HD SSD Crucial 1Tb --

HD WD raptor SATA2 150 GB x 10000 rpm -- Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W -- Windows 7 Professional 64bit --

Hotas Cougar n° 01909 -- Hotas Warthog n° 08070 -- Console MFD self made with X-key -- Monitor DELL 24 Inch

please... please... please... let next DCS module be a F18 :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried uploading your models into shapeways and I'm getting "model is not manifold" errors, how can I fix that?

No need to upload. It's here, along with links to the other parts.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Oh awesome thank you! If I want to print these with my own printer would I use the obj files there?

There's a link to download the OBJs in this post.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys I have been a member for a while now but this is my first post firstly thankyou to brun for the excellent ufc and for making it public. I now have my own version and have donated as a thankyou.

but I would also like to tell you guys about the print company I used they are called xen dragon 3d and are based in Gravesend kent uk.

you can contact them via email at xendragon@timcomp.co.uk I highly recommend them as they are extremely helpful fast and produce a superb product plus they are very competitive price wise.

this is their website

http://www.xendragonit.net

IMG_20200504_1546403915_zpsr9rh36xs.jpg

hi guys I have been a member for a while now but this is my first post firstly thankyou to brun for the excellent ufc and for making it public. I now have my own version and have donated as a thankyou.

but I would also like to tell you guys about the print company I used they are called xen dragon 3d and are based in Gravesend kent uk.

you can contact them via email at xendragon@timcomp.co.uk I highly recommend them as they are extremely helpful fast and produce a superb product plus they are very competitive price wise.

this is their website

http://www.xendragonit.net

IMG_20200504_1546403915_zpsr9rh36xs.jpg

How much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?

Just scale them up 100x.

No idea where it gets inches from, there's nothing in an OBJ file which specifies units.

Importing as meters should give the correct size, approximately 177mm wide.

No idea where it gets inches from, there's nothing in an OBJ file which specifies units.

Importing as meters should give the correct size, approximately 177mm wide.

Hey Brun just want to say I got it all sorted, just need to source the filament as this is going to probably take a LOT. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hola Brun, primero me gustaría felicitarte por el trabajo, me parece impresionante. He visto que lo has compartido en .obj y mi pregunta es: ¿Es posible que lo compartas en algún formato para poderlo modificar? . Yo uso catia y no me dejar editarlo. Me puedes ayudar? Gracias

Hi Brun, first I would like to congratulate you're work, I find it impressive. I have seen that you have shared in .obj and my question is: It's possible to share it in some format to be able to modify it? . I use Catia V5 and don't let me edit it. Can you help me? Thank you

I'm not familiar with Catia - or any CAD software - but there's no other format that would make it more editable than OBJ.

Hi Brun, first I would like to congratulate you're work, I find it impressive. I have seen that you have shared in .obj and my question is: It's possible to share it in some format to be able to modify it? . I use Catia V5 and don't let me edit it. Can you help me? Thank you

I don’t have Catia but maybe that helps:

grabcad howto

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb