SA342 - Camera stabilization

Vil_Coyote

Aim high, shoot quick, hope for the best

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

when I aiming at a target, my camera's aim goes down slowly.

I'm in autohover and maximum camera zoom.

What can I do ?

In my case, I traced intermittent camera drift to my FFB stick being slightly off center (when in auto-hover, the game defaults to using the primary stick to slew the camera).

My solution was to select

• "Second joystick for Camera"

in "Options\Special\SA-342"

As I don't have a second joystick, the SA-342 ignores my primary stick and I'm able to use the keyboard to slew the camera without worrying about centering my FFB stick.

If using a standard "spring centered" joystick, you could add a small dead zone to your axis - though dead zones are usually considered a bad thing in a cyclic due to the need to make constant small corrections/adjustments when hovering, etc.

YMMV.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

If OP has the camera pan&tilt mapped to an axis (like an analog stick on the hotas) then he can go to axis tuning and set a deadbannd for tilt. That would get rid of the drift

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

If OP has the camera pan&tilt mapped to an axis (like an analog stick on the hotas) then he can go to axis tuning and set a deadbannd for tilt. That would get rid of the drift

That only applies if the "2nd Joystick for Camera" option is checked.

DCS doesn't normally allow a control to be bound to 2 functions at once, in the Gazelle the joystick bound to the cyclic is hard coded to also slew the camera **while in a AUTO-HOVER** i.e. when not in a auto-hover, it controls the pilot or co-pilot's cyclic.

Selecting "2nd Joystick for Camera" disables this and forces the use of a 2nd joystick and/or the keyboard.

It also removes any spurious camera slews/input caused by the stick assigned to the cyclic.

Tested in DCS Open Beta 2.5.5.41962

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

That only applies if the "2nd Joystick for Camera" option is checked.

DCS doesn't normally allow a control to be bound to 2 functions at once, in the Gazelle the joystick bound to the cyclic is hard coded to also slew the camera **while in a AUTO-HOVER** i.e. when not in a auto-hover, it controls the pilot or co-pilot's cyclic.

Selecting "2nd Joystick for Camera" disables this and forces the use of a 2nd joystick and/or the keyboard.

It also removes any spurious camera slews/input caused by the stick assigned to the cyclic.

Tested in DCS Open Beta 2.5.5.41962

I'd have to verify, but I never checked any option for 2nd joystick enabled. I went to map controls>set axis assign> there's 2 axes to map for the camera, pan and tilt....may be listed as x& y> I used the analog stick on the front of my hotas, mapping out both of those axes onto it. Axis tune allows u to increase the deadbannd.

I have zero clue what you're talking about binding two controls to once, and using cyclic- sounds like you're overcomplicating things.

Using the analog control on the front of my hotas, I can fly from the pilots seat, and still control the camera with my index finger. I use that same analog control for schval and tdc controls on other acft

System:

533880-Joystick1.jpg

15111050821l.JPG

See the round analog control on the right front of hotas? That's where I have camera mapped to as an axis. No 2nd joystick necessary

System:

When I suffered intermittent camera drift, I initially didn't consider the cyclic as I was using the keyboard to slew the camera.

The camera would start to drift after playing for 20-40 minutes and it took a while to realise it was because my FFB stick had a tenancy to settle a little off center and was introducing a small input when in auto-hover.

Perhaps binding the hat axis on your TM 16000m FCS throttle cancels the cyclic input, have you tried using the cyclic to slew the camera when in a auto-hover ? (that's the only time the cyclic is coded to slew the Viviane camera)

I have zero clue what you're talking about binding two controls to once, and using cyclic- sounds like you're overcomplicating things.

It's not something I did through choice, it is the Gazelle's default behaviour and AFAIK couldn't be bypassed until Polychop introduced support for a second stick/axis on the 24th April 2018.

Edited by Ramsay

Are we talking about the same camera ?

I'm referring to the following controls (under axis mapping, video command box)

Slew left/right

Slew up/down

They control the screen used by the copilot/Gunner and can absolutely be mapped to an analog stick on the hotas enabling you to control the camera on the fly regardless of hovering or being in motion

System:

I'm referring to the following controls (under axis mapping, video command box)

Slew left/right

Slew up/down

They control the screen used by the copilot/Gunner and can absolutely be mapped to an analog stick on the hotas enabling you to control the camera on the fly regardless of hovering or being in motion

Have you tried it while in autohover? and have you while in AH tried to move your cyclic and observing what happens on the screen?

Can't test it myself for a while, but I believe I did a while back when adding a spare joystick to my setup, not thinking about the dual joystick option in settings. My memory tells me that I could indeed operate the camera with the second joystick at all times, but when in AH I got some strange behavior. Turned out to be that while in AH both sticks had authority over the camera. Finding and enabling that setting in options solved the issue.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yes.

The Gazelle was released on Steam 27th May 2016, it was ~2 years before support for a 2nd axis/joystick was added to the module.

The legacy method of using the co-pilot's cyclic to slew the camera (when in a auto-hover) is still present.

In SP the Auto-hover mimics the AI pilot taking control and reassigns the 'unused' player joystick/cyclic as an analog control to guide the camera/HOT 3 missile i.e. so the player can track/hit a moving vehicle.

dont know what to tell you, like i said, my camera is mapped to the hotas. OP asked about drift, and my suggestion stands: map the samera like i did and increase the deadband if necessary. thatll stop the drift

System:

dont know what to tell you, like i said, my camera is mapped to the hotas. OP asked about drift, and my suggestion stands: map the samera like i did and increase the deadband if necessary. thatll stop the drift
Did you see my comment above and did you test it?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Ill try tonight if i get a chance. I only fired up dcs last night to verify my gazelle keybinds and make a few tweaks to other modules. Didn't bother firing up the vr and fly anything

System:

Ill try tonight if i get a chance. I only fired up dcs last night to verify my gazelle keybinds and make a few tweaks to other modules. Didn't bother firing up the vr and fly anything
I just tested it. Indeed it works with the option for second joystick disabled. When not in AH, you fly with your cyclic and the second joystick slewing the camera. With AH enabled, both sticks control the camera, but with priority on the cyclic, i.e. if one axis on the cyclic isn't perfectly centered, the camera will slew according to it, ignoring the same axis on the second stick (if the other axis is perfectly centered on the cyclic, the cammera will follow number two on that axis).

This is a bit different from how I remembered it. I remembered it being that you could move the cammera with both sticks simultaneously, the sum of the two inputs being the controlling signal.

Anyway, if you have a second joystick or analog thumb hat like you, it's better to have the option in the special settings enabled. The cyclic need to be perfectly centered in both axis while in AH for it to work flawlessly otherwise, not always easy even for sticks with centering springs/detent. Deadzones on the cyclic are really not desirable and not an option for helicopter flights.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5