Leaning out of the cockpit with opened canopy

PicksKing

hi guys,

did somebody already think about leaning out of the cockpit? I guess it would be an easy to implement function and very useful for taxiing with WW2 planes. And by the way it could raise the immersion.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Is not RShif+RCtrl+3 (move POV left) and RShif+RCtrl+8 (move POV up)?

Or you mean "sit outside cockpit, over wing" like in certain flight game Early Access?

Of course I know how to move the head.

I mean the head shouldnt stop, where the glas of the canopy would be, when its closed. When the canopy is open, the head should be movable beyond this barrier.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Probably a nice feature that would add to the overall immersion. But it's probably not so easy as it may appear. There are essentially two models - one is the external one, other is the cockpit view. If when sitting in the cockpit player would be able to stick his head outside, he would see a lot of the parts of the plane missing. Such approach is usually taken from the performance perspective - to save processing power from something that would never be rendered.

Apart of implementing functionality allowing to stick the head outside also models would have to be probably updated.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Probably a nice feature that would add to the overall immersion. But it's probably not so easy as it may appear. There are essentially two models - one is the external one, other is the cockpit view. If when sitting in the cockpit player would be able to stick his head outside, he would see a lot of the parts of the plane missing. Such approach is usually taken from the performance perspective - to save processing power from something that would never be rendered.

Apart of implementing functionality allowing to stick the head outside also models would have to be probably updated.

Belsimtek allowed it in Mi8, there's a little bit more render to be done, but it works

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Belsimtek allowed it in Mi8, there's a little bit more render to be done, but it works

For sure it can be done. Just that it's not so easy at it may seem. It "works" in case of Mi-8 is really subjective: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169039

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

For sure it can be done. Just that it's not so easy at it may seem. It "works" in case of Mi-8 is really subjective: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169039

Judging by the reaction to this thread, it's better than not having it :) So yes, it works.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

:huh:

Ah, like in ARMA3 helicopters... or

But this in video was fixed latter, although OK for SP, considered too "cheater" in MP, based on "scientific studies" done be players and developers. :D :lol:

Is not possible do editing LUA files?

dogs-on-joyrides-1__605.jpg

Dont know much about LUAs. The Problem is, you need two different sets of boundaries. A small for closed canopy and a wider for opened canopy. These boundaries need switch by opening and closing. I think you really need a little more knowledge about programming to do this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mean by Rolling or sitting on the airfield you can look out of the canopy sideways, but when you strap down in the seat nearly impossible to do this.

FW-190 display with go pro on the Head look at the beginning and the End of the Video

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Mean by Rolling or sitting on the airfield you can look out of the canopy sideways, but when you strap down in the seat nearly impossible to do this.

FW-190 display with go pro on the Head look at the beginning and the End of the Video

:thumbup: Good link.

As you see in the video, it is enough to enable the pilot to look directly ahead of the aircraft, something that is impossible with the canopy closed.

Actually the video is a very nice illustration of what could be achieved by having this feature in-game.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 4 weeks later...

It seems as leaning out of the cockpit IS already possible. But unfortunately only for Occulus owners.

Watch at 3:00.

Now the question is which LUA has to be modified, to make this accessible for TrackIR owners as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now the question is which LUA has to be modified, to make this accessible for TrackIR owners as well.

The question is also, if you really want that as a TrackIR user ;)

In VR there are no boundaries at all so you can go anywhere. But that means you can also go through the instruments, windows etc.

This does not happen very often in VR because of the 1:1 tracking but with the amplified tracking of TrackIR devices it could be a bigger issue and spoil the immersion :(

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

in VR Your Body Linkage is Your Boundary, So you can only move as far as you neck will let you, and it's a 1:1 Ratio, and cannot be restrained other wise it would cause tracking and positional desync and motion sickness.

TrackIR has no such requirements to avoid motion sickness and de-sync.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 5 months later...

Rakuzard found a partial solution for IR-user

\Mods\aircraft\<plane>\Views.lua

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.050000,0.20000},y ={-0.100000,0.100000},z = {-0.30000,0.30000},roll = 90.000000},

The values of x,y and z can be changed to shift the boundaries further from center point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]