P51D Videos - Page 30 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #291
skliff13

Reputation power: 0
skliff13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solty View Post
You get out of a spin within seconds and I would say 500ft tops but it is realy hard to get into a spin in that plane.
Well.. Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqV4cbcoWE
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #292
Solty

Reputation power: 9
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skliff13 View Post
Nice

BTW very good video here:

@ 14:30
"It doesn't whip over like some other planes do and has very little tendency to drop into a spin."

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #293
voodooman

Reputation power: 8
voodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDrummer View Post
Thanks for this! I smiled trough the video, and my respect for the guys who flew/fly this thing IRL went up a notch, again

those two pilots in the video truly were humble guys and seemed really nice fellas.

and she is a beauty, isn't she?
voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #294
horseback

Reputation power: 5
horseback will become famous soon enoughhorseback will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solty View Post
I love the contrast that some of those videos bring. In your video the modern pilot (with 9 years of experience on it!) says that the plane will kill you if you do not keep to the strict "by the book" approach to flying, and that it has vicious stalling characteristics.

While in this video at the beging WW2 pilots say that it was an easy plane to fly with no bad habits xD

Difference between generations?

I think you'll find that the point of reference for WWII American fighter pilots would be the P-40 and P-39, both of which had some serious vices, especially the later model P-40s, whose landing and taxiing qualities were at least as shall we say, 'questionable' as the Messerschmidt 109's was reputed to be. The P-40's trim characteristics were also considered quite demanding (bordering on vicious) for that era, according to most sources.

Modern pilots' point of reference is usually something far more aerodynamically advanced, generally benign and most likely includes tricycle landing gear. 70 years' worth of advancement in science, engineering and technology does tend to spoil you a bit.

Still, the P-51 was cutting edge for its time, and was a high performance aircraft designed to destroy other high performance aircraft. By definition, it would be assumed to need a lot of attention from its pilot. Just not quite so much as for a Warhawk or a Lightning.

cheers

horseback
Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #295
DeepDrummer

Reputation power: 2
DeepDrummer will become famous soon enoughDeepDrummer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skliff13 View Post
09:30 "If Mustang goes into a spin it takes 9000 feet to get out of it."

Gotta check this in DCS!
I am ok with someone exaggerating danger.
I would have said 140,000 feet.
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 16 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, BENQ XL2720Z monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA GTX 980 4 gig video. TM Hotas Wartog. MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #296
McFlurry

Reputation power: 3
McFlurry will become famous soon enoughMcFlurry will become famous soon enough

McFlurry is offline   Reply With Quote