Canadian Noob confused on 2 items to purchase

g2k

Hello.

Got the Warthog set up. Got the Oculus quest. Ordering new computer.

Hung up on rudder pedals and stand.

Been seeing many varying opinions on the pedals. I’m leaning towards Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, but am seeing people that are not impressed. Thoughts?

The wheelstand pro for warthog looks appealing. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. This is a great site.

Edited by g2k

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswinds | HP Reverb G2

I had a set of Saitek Pro rudder pedals, but they felt cheap to me. The movement and foot-positioning felt kind of off from my perspective. I ended up selling them on pretty quickly, and went for MFG Crosswind instead: https://mfg-sim.com/en/3-rudder-pedals

The Crosswinds are night-and-day compared to the Saiteks, but you'd expect that for the price difference. Incredibly study and reliable, with amazing build quality and beautiful movement (even years later).

Can't really speak to the stand, but I went with Monstertech mounts: https://www.monstertech.de/en/

Same kind of deal as the MFG Crosswinds in that they're expensive, but really, really well built.

The Crosswind rudders and the Monstertech mounts are both huge recommends from me. Not sure if that helps, or just confuses the issue, though. :)

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

The MFG Crosswind Pedals are great, I've been flying with mine for 1.5 years and previously I had the Saitek X52 with a twist stick (SUCKED).

On a Stand, I used to use my SIM PC for work and other Office Activities, so I got used to the Side Stick configuration and love it too. Makes sense if you need access to your PC for other than DCS.

Remember, this is going to evolve, so consider getting what you can get by with now and upgrading here and there. Is your desk adaptable, can you make tray mounts to bolt onto the top that drop-down for Throttle/Stick placement?

Here's my setup.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1950921789

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great info on the rudder pedals. I really didn’t want to fork over the cash for the pendulur style ones. Yikes. I’m certainly going to dig into some reviews on THESE.

Originally I wanted a Center stick configuration, but these posts are making me rethink. That monster tech setup is interesting. There is also an add on for a mouse which is right where I would want it. Wish there was a spot for keyboard though as I’m not certain I will have a desk as I’m going oculus and won’t be using a monitor. AGAIN, I can be swayed as there is a wealth of helpful subject matter experts here. That desk setup that JUICE has looks quite ergonomic.

These rapid replies are very much appreciated. Thorough and links! You guys are awesome. :thumbup:

EDIT: Perhaps I’m kidding myself. I have not set up Oculus yet. Waiting on proper cable. Even though I have Oculus, will I still need a monitor at times? I’m thinking I just may. Oh my, so much to learn.

Edited by g2k

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

I'm still using the saitek combat rudder pedals. There ok I guess.... Brake pedal has played up, had them for a few years now tho.

Still like the combat style of pedal (Feet on ground). So I'm leaning more towards the Thrustmaster TPR's and their all metal, pendular etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm still using the saitek combat rudder pedals. There ok I guess.... Brake pedal has played up, had them for a few years now tho.

Still like the combat style of pedal (Feet on ground). So I'm leaning more towards the Thrustmaster TPR's and their all metal, pendular etc.

I feel I would love those TPR’s, but I just have too much more $ to spend yet. The wife is starting to ask questions. I will be divorced by April.

Watch though. I will likely be giving a glowing review on them TPR’s here in about 6 months. From my one bedroom apartment in the cheap part of town......while I cook supper on my hot plate.

Anyone have experience with the Playseat Airforce flight seat? Looks like I might be able to MacGiver a keyboard onto it.

https://www.playseatstore.com/playseat-air-force.html

The TPR's are too expensive, but this overpriced Flight Seat is not? ;)

I had the PLAYSEAT® EVOLUTION ALCANTARA (basicly the car version) of this seat. Wasnt that great.

And that "Center Stick Mount" is terribly placed.

Probably better to just buy a car seat or a office chair and repurpose them for your project :).

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Guys at the Academy really dig MFG crosswinds, although for the love a Pete $300? As a predominantly F16 driver (currently) my feet are on the floor the whole time, and even when I'm buzzing around in the C101 -- which is really hard to fly without pedals -- my TFRP's are enough.

Guess it depends on what you're driving, and how perzackety you are. Chopper pilots tend to want really nice pedals. I imagine if I were predominantly flying an F14 I might spring for the MFG's. But for most DCS jets, I would submit that something cheap like CH (which I used to have) and TFRP (which I'm using now and I really don't hate at all) is enough.

If money is no object yeah I'd love to have some crosswinds. But if you have to set priorities, I'd take the computer for a spin first, don't be surprised if your priorities get re-ordered. Quality of life in DCS often boils down to a lot of non-glittery things. Chips, drives, coolers. Stuff like that.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

The TPR's are too expensive, but this overpriced Flight Seat is not? ;)

I had the PLAYSEAT® EVOLUTION ALCANTARA (basicly the car version) of this seat. Wasnt that great.

And that "Center Stick Mount" is terribly placed.

Probably better to just buy a car seat or a office chair and repurpose them for your project :).

Heh. I knew I was going to get called out on that. I became luke warm to it after looking closer and then of course the price. I haven’t got my new computer yet, but for turds and giggles I hooked up my Warthog HOTAS to my clunker PC at the family computer desk. It wasn’t awful to be honest, but I could see my arms getting a bit tired. I’m now cold on the flight chair route. I’m sure I can fashion something up. I’m still quite interested in Pizzicatos monster tech bracket system on the IKEA chair.

Guys at the Academy really dig MFG crosswinds, although for the love a Pete $300? As a predominantly F16 driver (currently) my feet are on the floor the whole time, and even when I'm buzzing around in the C101 -- which is really hard to fly without pedals -- my TFRP's are enough.

Guess it depends on what you're driving, and how perzackety you are. Chopper pilots tend to want really nice pedals. I imagine if I were predominantly flying an F14 I might spring for the MFG's. But for most DCS jets, I would submit that something cheap like CH (which I used to have) and TFRP (which I'm using now and I really don't hate at all) is enough.

If money is no object yeah I'd love to have some crosswinds. But if you have to set priorities, I'd take the computer for a spin first, don't be surprised if your priorities get re-ordered. Quality of life in DCS often boils down to a lot of non-glittery things. Chips, drives, coolers. Stuff like that.

Yes indeed. Thanks. A person can really get ahead of themselves here on DCS it appears. Like my VR set I have yet to implement. I just ran off and googled “best VR headset for 2020”. Immediately ordered the Oculus Quest. Turns out if I was just using it for DCS, the Rift would have been more than good enough. Now I’m waiting on a cable :music_whistling: I’m sure in due time my regrets will fade on that choice.

It’s just so damn hard not to get pumped and remortgage the home. Thanks!

Holy crap is this MFG crosswind hard to find.

Can’t get it on Amazon Canada. Neweeg either.

EDIT: Appears the MFG website is the best option.

Edited by g2k

Holy crap is this MFG crosswind hard to find.

Can’t get it on Amazon Canada. Neweeg either.

EDIT: Appears the MFG website is the best option.

Pretty sure that's the ONLY option.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Pretty sure that's the ONLY option.

Ordered!

:thumbup:

Congrats on ordering the crosswinds. I recently moved to Canada without my pedals and can't get ones for a reasonable price for love nor money... well actually yeah I can get them for money but I don't love the prices, shipping and import fees from the states.

Congrats on ordering the crosswinds. I recently moved to Canada without my pedals and can't get ones for a reasonable price for love nor money... well actually yeah I can get them for money but I don't love the prices, shipping and import fees from the states.

Yeah it’s brutal.

To get the TM TPR’s up here was just over 1000 CAD.

- TM Warthog HOTAS - Check!

- Oculus Quest - Check! (yet to implement)

- Quest Link - Ordered!

- MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedals - Ordered!

Still need to figure out a good computer for gaming.

Looking for something in the $2300 - $2700 USD bracket.

I don’t really want to built it myself.

Edited by g2k

Well my MFG crosswinds came in. Took less than a week from Croatia!!! I’m pretty amazed.

The amazement has rapidly faded though. Arrived in pieces. I understand that. But no assembly instructions??? Some of the pieces are scuffed up. The wires from the pedals to the base are a joke. Really tough area to plug in and it’s 3 flimsy pins with a horrible guide. I was sweating bus tickets hoping not to damage them. I think they are in properly, but not a firm fit at all. Actually I’m afraid to remove them now to check the pins. Not amused with MFG thus far.

Anyway I had to build it by looking at pictures of the unit on the internet as (you guessed it), they don’t have the instructions on their bush league website. I have a part that I can’t find a home for. The part is labeled 4, which would be really helpful if I had instructions.

Anyone know what this #4 part might be for? I’m smelling burnt toast right now.

There are detailed video instructions on the website and there should have been a piece of paper instructing you to go there in the package.

The extra piece is an alternate cam you can use if you prefer a different center feel.

How embarrassing. Thank you.

I still can’t find instructions on the site when I return there, but your link takes care of that. Perhaps because I’m on the US site and not EU. I will figure that out later and keep moving forward. I noticed this piece #4 was duplicated on the unit and came to the conclusion you just gave me. I was coming back here to let you all know this old fart figured it out. I will say I’m happy MFG included a part To expand the options.

Things are looking up. Not really impressed with the fit and finish of the unit. (perhaps TM Warthog spoiled me). Time to go take these pedals for a twirl!

Thanks Feef!

EDIT: I found the tab on the site I was overlooking

Edited by g2k

Well after I quick twirl, I have some practicing to do on these pedals. Heh.

I was a lost cause after touch down. Part of that is likely I don’t have them ergo adjusted properly. Thankful that is possible. The other 75% can be blamed on the pilot.

Odd thing occurred in flight when I was testing the rudder movements. I decided to push the brakes forward to test the feel. The hornet started doing barrel rolls. Got some reading to do. Heh.

Enjoy! They're a massive improvement over the feel of anything else in their price range..I had a set of Saitek Combat pedals prior to purchasing the Crosswinds and the toe brake failed inside of 3 months, the whole unit felt plastic and cheap. The Crosswinds are much more precise and I'm very happy with how adjustable everything is.

As Draconus suggests, DCS automatically binds some settings to all controllers; this can lead to some hilarious results like toe brakes controlling pitch and roll.

Open the control menu, select F/A-18C and then "Axis Commands"

Select your rudder and hit "clear column." You can then assign each control input to the correct item in the aircraft. Your rudder will be JoyRz, left toe brake will be JoyX, right toe brake will be JoyY

Edited by feefifofum

Enjoy! They're a massive improvement over the feel of anything else in their price range..I had a set of Saitek Combat pedals prior to purchasing the Crosswinds and the toe brake failed inside of 3 months, the whole unit felt plastic and cheap. The Crosswinds are much more precise and I'm very happy with how adjustable everything is.

As Draconus suggests, DCS automatically binds some settings to all controllers; this can lead to some hilarious results like toe brakes controlling pitch and roll.

Thanks Feefifofum and Draconus. I will certainly look into that for sure when I’m back home.

Apparently MFG has a download on their webpage I need to install as well.

Yeah, the crosswinds seem nice. I can’t wait to adjust them for my sitting position. Was extremely awkward last night. I’m glad they are adjustable. Those connectors from the pedals to the base are a bit vulnerable though. I will be unplugging them...like...never.

Well I’m at a loss with the Crosswinds. This is in regard to the fact my rudder pedals are controlling the rudders fine in flight, but if I apply wheel brakes the hornet starts rolling.

I’ve used the link for the MFG Configurator. It shows connected. I did all the deflection movements required. (3) Each brake pedal separately and the with the pedals at neutral position, full deflection both ways. Then hit “apply” button and get message - FINISHED.

So before I go to DCS Control Options page, I try a free flight. Same issue. No problem. As advised I go to Control Options. Oddly in the MFG Crosswind column the only inputs are several “view” inputs. Nothing else. I’m like WTF? So I remove the view inputs from the column. Now there is nothing in the MFG column, yet I still have rudder control during my free flights along with the barrel roles still when applying wheel brakes. A bit puzzled, but no problem. I will just find L & R Wheel Brakes and click the respective boxes in the MFG column that align with each wheel brake. Click the “add” tab to bring up the “Add Assignment Panel”. Within this panel there’s a “Key/Button” box and an “Add Modifier” box. I think this is where I’m messing up. I can’t get my input from the pedals in any of these boxes.

At a loss. Running out of YouTube videos. I can’t seem to find any other posts on here where others have had this same issue. I will keep searching.

Edited by g2k