WINWING F/A-18C HOTAS 2019.12.17 DELIVER

WINWING

I’ll see about writing up a few words tonight.

Fair warning though... I have not used the stick and don’t intend to unless needed as a backup for my Virpil and RealSimulator units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

WINWING F/A-18C HOTAS 2019.12.17 DELIVER

Hey RogueSqdn - How long was the lead time bet your pre-order and delivery to NC? Was is shipped via FedEx or UPS? Looking be placing my order to Ontario, Canada...

Thanks!

I ordered on 10JUL on the first day. Label generated on 9DEC, picked up on the 12th, left China on the 18th, delivered on the 20th. It spent a long time clearing customs on the way OUT of Shanghai.

Fedex

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Ditto...me too, man its awesome looking with the finger-lifts! I would buy the kit just for those throttles.

I think they will push the Hotas sets b4 selling them separate.

I'm interesting for a Throttle only and I'm from Germany.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Alright, time to put a few thoughts together. I am not a professional writer or reviewer, but I'll include my thoughts. They may be all over the place! ;)

As said before, I haven't used the stick and only briefly held the grip. It felt substantial but since I have five different grips that fit the Virpil and TM bases (Warthog, Hornet, VFX F-14, WarBRD, and T-50CM2), I have no desire to figure out a mounting solution for the Winwing stick and swapping to it when I can simply swap grips otherwise. I'll keep it as a backup incase I have Virpil problems.

I primarily fly in VR and operate cockpit controls with PointCTRL. With PointCTRL being able to actually click cockpit buttons, I tend to be minimal when doing HOTAS assignments, and try to match the actual aircraft's HOTAS as much as possible.

I previously used an Obutto R3volution cockpit, but this past summer I switched to a self-built cockpit when I picked up the Thrustmaster TPR pedals. At this point, I didn't know the dimensions of the Winwing throttle, but knew I wanted something that would do a few things: 1) better accommodate the pedals, 2) have a seat height and stick height that lets me rest my forearm on my thigh, and 3) be able to easily switch between the Winwing and my other two throttles, the Warthog and the Virpil T-50CM (version 3).

I was fortunate that the side consoles I built had enough height in them to properly mount the Winwing throttle in them. I only had to build a new top cover and cut it to fit the Winwing unit. Because of the size of the hole needed for the Winwing, I can't just screw down the other throttles, but had to build and paint a small board that can fit in the space left when I remove the Winwing, and be screwed down in place. Pretty simple.

The Winwing throttle is only secured in my cockpit with four pieces of industrial strength Velcro from Lowe's, and doesn't shift around at all.

Now that I've got all that background out of the way, here's what I think.

First, the unit is big, and the throttle levers are TALL on top of the switch panel. Keep that in mind when thinking about how you're going to mount this, because it could potentially cause some ergonomic issues. I had some wrist soreness at first, but quickly got used to it.

The MAIN reason I wanted this throttle was the finger lifts and available afterburner push-through. This passed with FLYING COLORS. The feel of moving the throttle (it has a very large field of travel), along with operating the lifts and the friction lever (which is it's own axis and allows you to have the cockpit control match the actual one, a boon in VR), is incredible and feels well thought out. The throttle axes read 0% at the idle bump and have a DX button activation when turning them off, exactly like the Warthog throttle.

The method of attaching the throttle grips to the levers and connecting the wires is very solid. I very much look forward to seeing them come out with additional throttle grips down the line. I hope for the F-16 (they've already mentioned an F-16 stick grip), F-15, and A-10C. The F-15 and A-10 would be perfect for this unit, and if available, would mean I wouldn't have much reason to ever swap my throttle out. Though there are many differences between the F/A-18 and F-14 throttles, I feel this unit would be an excellent F-14 stand-in (though flaps and wing sweep levers would need to be operated either with a mouse or DX button).

Other throttle grip notes... first off, the pinky switch for external lights is a three-way switch on the Winwing, unlike the actual Hornet throttle, but I find that a bonus, because I can use that as a modifier in DCS and access my cockpit view controls when in VR.

Second, the three push buttons are very clicky. I feel they could be a little more substantial, but they're acceptable.

Third, the antenna elevation axis and TDC are rock-solid and I have no issues with them, except that since the antenna is auto-centering, when flying the Viper, I have to use a Joystick Gremlin profile with vJoy in order to make it a relative axis. Not Winwing's fault, it simulates the Hornet well.

Fourth, the countermeasures and comm switches are actually five-way hats. I use the comm switch pressed inward as a modifier, so I can access kneeboard commands with my Thrustmaster Hornet grip. Thanks for Winwing for making these five-way, it adds a lot of versatility, and allows me to simulate the F-16 dogfight switch.

Lastly on the grips, the speed brake switch is excellent, and works exactly like the Warthog and Cougar throttle switches: momentary to the rear, latched to the forward.

On to the switch panel:

Winwing did an excellent job on the switch panel overall. The backlighting is even and can be adjusted in their SimAppPro program (which you have to download from their site). The Formation and position knobs are both analog axes and have no detent. Perfect.

One other good thing here... each switch position is it's own DX button, meaning there won't be as much LUA editing to get an action for ON and for OFF. Good show.

I have a few small problems with the panel, but they're not show-stoppers.

First, the bleed air knob is a four-position knob, but unlike the real one, you CANNOT rotate it all the way around from end to end. To go from R OFF to OFF, you have to click through the other positions. I'll end up using PointCTRL to switch this in the cockpit and mapping this knob to something else... perhaps it's a candidate to be a modifier in DCS.

Second, the APU light operation requires you to leave SimAppPro open when running DCS. I skip this since I'm in VR.

Third, the GEN TIE reset switch only does one DX button on up and one on down, which means DCS can't read you opening the switch cover. I've had to set a combo in Joystick Gremlin to simulate opening and closing the cover when flipping the switch. I have to wonder if there would've been a way to have a microswitch activated when opening and closing the safety cover.

Fourth, and this is NOT Winwing's fault... the actual ENG CRANK and FUEL DUMP switches are magnetically held. For you to get them to operate practically, you'll have to map the ENG CRANK to the CYCLE commands, and will have to LUA edit the fuel dump ON and OFF (putting individual ON/OFF commands in default.lua), and use Joystick Gremlin to have FUEL DUMP only be a one second DX button instead of being constantly on, so it'll shut off when you reach bingo fuel.

Other than these small nagging issues, I find the switch panel to be pretty well done. I do wish they had put in the FCS panel so we could've had rudder trim, TO trim, and FCS reset. Maybe I'll eventually build my own panel for that, but for now, I'm using PointCTRL for it.

Overall, I find this to be a well-put together unit. Ask me again a few months down the line and I'll let you know how well it has held up.

59855882343__20F958A9-3914-4279-A2E2-47843E5BE49F.thumb.jpg.ff5cd449b8fe97a0577208d90658c247.jpg

AE2E8610-C2F5-45E5-A21E-478EE896AF4E.thumb.jpg.cec50f1ef48ab4df94f7e9d2927b0a67.jpg

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Ok. I'm sold! Going to place my order. I want that throttle!

Thanks for the write up, insightful and pointed.

On a side note, may I inquire... what's your current base and stick setup? Also, what are the mounts you are currently using?

Also, what VR HMD are you using?

I just got my point ctrl, but have not setup as yet, I have both rift s and reverb (debating which one to install it on) with WH Hotas on monstertech mounts.

Alright, time to put a few thoughts together. I am not a professional writer or reviewer, but I'll include my thoughts. They may be all over the place! ;)

As said before, I haven't used the stick and only briefly held the grip. It felt substantial but since I have five different grips that fit the Virpil and TM bases (Warthog, Hornet, VFX F-14, WarBRD, and T-50CM2), I have no desire to figure out a mounting solution for the Winwing stick and swapping to it when I can simply swap grips otherwise. I'll keep it as a backup incase I have Virpil problems.

I primarily fly in VR and operate cockpit controls with PointCTRL. With PointCTRL being able to actually click cockpit buttons, I tend to be minimal when doing HOTAS assignments, and try to match the actual aircraft's HOTAS as much as possible.

I previously used an Obutto R3volution cockpit, but this past summer I switched to a self-built cockpit when I picked up the Thrustmaster TPR pedals. At this point, I didn't know the dimensions of the Winwing throttle, but knew I wanted something that would do two things: 1) better accommodate the pedals, 2) have a seat height and stick height that lets me rest my forearm on my thigh, and 3) be able to easily switch between the Winwing and my other two throttles, the Warthog and the Virpil T-50CM (version 3).

I was fortunate that the side consoles I built had enough height in them to properly mount the Winwing throttle in them. I only had to build a new top cover and cut it to fit the Winwing unit. Because of the size of the hole needed for the Winwing, I can't just screw down the other throttles, but had to build and paint a small board that can fit in the space left when I remove the Winwing, and be screwed down in place. Pretty simple.

The Winwing throttle is only secured in my cockpit with four pieces of industrial strength Velcro from Lowe's, and doesn't shift around at all.

First, the unit is big, and the throttle levers are TALL on top of the switch panel. Keep that in mind when thinking about how you're going to mount this, because it could potentially cause some ergonomic issues. I had some wrist soreness at first, but quickly got used to it.

The MAIN reason I wanted this throttle was the finger lifts and available afterburner push-through. This passed with FLYING COLORS. The feel of moving the throttle (it has a very large field of travel), along with operating the lifts and the friction lever (which is it's own axis and allows you to have the cockpit control match the actual one, a boon in VR), is incredible and feels well thought out. The throttle axes read 0% at the idle bump and have a DX button activation when turning them off, exactly like the Warthog throttle.

The method of attaching the throttle grips to the levers and connecting the wires is very solid. I very much look forward to seeing them come out with additional throttle grips down the line. I hope for the F-16 (they've already mentioned an F-16 stick grip), F-15, and A-10C. The F-15 and A-10 would be perfect for this unit, and if available, would mean I wouldn't have much reason to ever swap my throttle out. Though there are many differences between the F/A-18 and F-14 throttles, I feel this unit would be an excellent F-14 stand-in (though flaps and wing sweep levers would need to be operated either with a mouse or DX button).

Other throttle grip notes... first off, the pinky switch for external lights is a three-way switch on the Winwing, unlike the actual Hornet throttle, but I find that a bonus, because I can use that as a modifier in DCS and access my cockpit view controls when in VR.

Second, the three push buttons are very clicky. I feel they could be a little more substantial, but they're acceptable.

Third, the antenna elevation axis and TDC are rock-solid and I have no issues with them, except that since the antenna is auto-centering, when flying the Viper, I have to use a Joystick Gremlin profile with vJoy in order to make it a relative axis. Not Winwing's fault, it simulates the Hornet well.

Fourth, the countermeasures and comm switches are actually five-way hats. I use the comm switch pressed inward as a modifier, so I can access kneeboard commands with my Thrustmaster Hornet grip. Thanks for Winwing for making these five-way, it adds a lot of versatility, and allows me to simulate the F-16 dogfight switch.

Lastly on the grips, the speed brake switch is excellent, and works exactly like the Warthog and Cougar throttle switches: momentary to the rear, latched to the forward.

On to the switch panel:

Winwing did an excellent job on the switch panel overall. The backlighting is even and can be adjusted in their SimAppPro program (which you have to download from their site). The Formation and position knobs are both analog axes and have no detent. Perfect.

One other good thing here... each switch position is it's own DX button, meaning there won't be as much LUA editing to get an action for ON and for OFF. Good show.

First, the bleed air knob is a four-position knob, but unlike the real one, you CANNOT rotate it all the way around from end to end. To go from R OFF to OFF, you have to click through the other positions. I'll end up using PointCTRL to switch this in the cockpit and mapping this knob to something else... perhaps it's a candidate to be a modifier in DCS.

Second, the APU light operation requires you to leave SimAppPro open when running DCS. I skip this since I'm in VR.

Third, the GEN TIE reset switch only does one DX button on up and one on down, which means DCS can't read you opening the switch cover. I've had to set a combo in Joystick Gremlin to simulate opening and closing the cover when flipping the switch. I have to wonder if there would've been a way to have a microswitch activated when opening and closing the safety cover.

Fourth, and this is NOT Winwing's fault... the actual ENG CRANK and FUEL DUMP switches are magnetically held. For you to get them to operate practically, you'll have to map the ENG CRANK to the CYCLE commands, and will have to LUA edit the fuel dump ON and OFF (putting individual ON/OFF commands in default.lua), and use Joystick Gremlin to have FUEL DUMP only be a one second DX button instead of being constantly on, so it'll shut off when you reach bingo fuel.

Other than these small nagging issues, I find the switch panel to be pretty well done. I do wish they had put in the FCS panel so we could've had rudder trim, TO trim, and FCS reset. Maybe I'll eventually build my own panel for that, but for now, I'm using PointCTRL for it.

Overall, I find this to be a well-put together unit. Ask me again a few months down the line and I'll let you know how well it has held up.

Thanks for your write up. I like what you did with your custom throttle mount / plinth. Bearing in mind the weight and bulk of the throttle I would build something like that myself if I bought the throttle. The desk mounts are worthless to me as I don't like the design and want to risk them damaging my expensive office desk. I don't think I will be buying the base and grip regardless, so the throttle will only be an option if priced sensibly as a stand alone option.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am currently using a WarBRD base with a 100mm extension and the grips previously mentioned. I built the mounting post from plywood and some cut 2x4s, and covered it with some black fabric to simulate a rubber boot.

For VR I’m using the Rift S.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

A couple thoughts about mine:

Yeah the mounts should be considered a temporary solution, while waiting for better, or cockpit mounting. I can't imagine someone purchasing such fine equipment and seriously planning to permanently use those mounts.

So for me they're not a issue!

Joystick - For those not wanting the Joystick.

I also have a Virpil setup, though I'm not as heavily invested as RogueSqdn is. I thought I'd try both then decide. Well for me WinWing won out. I pretty much knew this as soon as I felt the the grip in hand. It feels very substantial, and of similar quality as the Throttle. I really like the feel, and the buttons / switches. IMO the Virpil grip just can't compare. It's the difference between feeling real, and not real. I've not really been able to put it through it's paces as my motion cockpit is still under construction, but I really feel I'll like the Grip, and the base as much as the heavenly throttle.

Now for those already deeply invested with several switchable grips, I can understand. But for me, I just wanted to stay with 1 ecosystem, and so far I like what I see. Looks LIke I'm be selling the Virpil t-50/CM

Edited by Wmacky

My only problem with the Stick is,that it has not the real Size of an real F/A-18 Stick. In comparison, the Stick is to small. I have Big hands and like my Thrustmaster more.

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

My only problem with the Stick is,that it has not the real Size of an real F/A-18 Stick. In comparison, the Stick is to small. I have Big hands and like my Thrustmaster more.

Have you compared both? My understanding is that the difference is very small?

Anyway, I have smaller hands and it fits me great. Any bigger, and my thumb would have trouble reaching the buttons.

Yes and I think also that is a great Stick, but I own already a TM F/A-18 and it fits my hands good.

Hope they post a Throttle only Sale also,or comes closer to the real Size with the next batch. A Winwing f-16 Stick, is also in the Pipeline .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Any word on the Throttle only going on sale? I'm not very interested in buying the Stick and Grip atm but am very interested in the Throttle. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Thank you!

I am currently using a WarBRD base with a 100mm extension and the grips previously mentioned. I built the mounting post from plywood and some cut 2x4s, and covered it with some black fabric to simulate a rubber boot.

For VR I’m using the Rift S.

Nothing as yet, I sent an email and also asked about the new sale @ $799.00usd and nothing back from Wwing as yet...

Any word on the Throttle only going on sale? I'm not very interested in buying the Stick and Grip atm but am very interested in the Throttle. Thanks!

I previously used an Obutto R3volution cockpit, but this past summer I switched to a self-built cockpit when I picked up the Thrustmaster TPR pedals. At this point, I didn't know the dimensions of the Winwing throttle, but knew I wanted something that would do a few things: 1) better accommodate the pedals, 2) have a seat height and stick height that lets me rest my forearm on my thigh, and 3) be able to easily switch between the Winwing and my other two throttles, the Warthog and the Virpil T-50CM (version 3).

On to the switch panel:

Thank you very much!

Glad to hear that you like our HOTAS, your suggestion on our considering now.

If possible hope to hear what's our stick feel different from your other gears.

Websit:http://WWW.WINWING.CN

FULL METAL F/A-18 HOTAS MANUFACTURER

(Include F18 Joystick/Throttle/Grip/Panels)

FACEBOOK GROUP:https://www.facebook.com/groups/HOTAS/

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK :https://www.facebook.com/winwing.cn/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A couple thoughts about mine:

Yeah the mounts should be considered a temporary solution, while waiting for better, or cockpit mounting. I can't imagine someone purchasing such fine equipment and seriously planning to permanently use those mounts.

So for me they're not a issue!

Joystick - For those not wanting the Joystick.

I also have a Virpil setup, though I'm not as heavily invested as RogueSqdn is. I thought I'd try both then decide. Well for me WinWing won out. I pretty much knew this as soon as I felt the the grip in hand. It feels very substantial, and of similar quality as the Throttle. I really like the feel, and the buttons / switches. IMO the Virpil grip just can't compare. It's the difference between feeling real, and not real. I've not really been able to put it through it's paces as my motion cockpit is still under construction, but I really feel I'll like the Grip, and the base as much as the heavenly throttle.

Now for those already deeply invested with several switchable grips, I can understand. But for me, I just wanted to stay with 1 ecosystem, and so far I like what I see. Looks LIke I'm be selling the Virpil t-50/CM

Thank you very much !!!

Websit:http://WWW.WINWING.CN

FULL METAL F/A-18 HOTAS MANUFACTURER

(Include F18 Joystick/Throttle/Grip/Panels)

FACEBOOK GROUP:https://www.facebook.com/groups/HOTAS/

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK :https://www.facebook.com/winwing.cn/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]