Military Jets out of Philadelphia Airport?

IRememberJeep

How’s it going everyone,

A short story and some questions to ask as I know we have current/former military aviators in the community.

So I happen to live close by the Philadelphia International Airport and today while stopping at the store I was in the parking lot finishing a cigarette with the window down. There are constantly airliners taking off and landing which I’ve been accustomed to the sound of. Anyway, while finishing my cigarette I suddenly hear an aircraft engine that immediately catches my attention because it’s distinctly different than a run of the mill airliner. Sure enough as I look to my left I see a three ship of F/A-18 Super Hornets climbing out of Philadelphia International each trailing each other. It immediately brings a huge smile to my face seeing one of my favorite aircraft and hearing those amazing engines but I also immediately have questions.

If anyone knows is it common for a military aircraft to land at a civilian airport? I will occasionally see CH-47s being test flown around the neighborhood/Delaware River but they come out of the Boeing facility a few miles to the South. Other than that I will see random aircraft such as A-10s, AH-64s, AH-1Ws, UH-60s heading South to North, on a very rare basis and never did they take off from PIA.

The closest air base would be the ANG Willow Grove and there is also McGuire AFB not all that far in NJ. I find it odd that the Hornets would have been flying out of WG or McGuire and make a stop at PIA?

Are civilian airport normally capable of accommodating military aircraft? Fuel, maintenance...etc?

Before anyone asks I live close enough to the Airport to know they took off from there. When I saw them they were low in the takeoff corridor and climbing. So they weren’t just passing by.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

We regularly see Talons (USAF and NASA), Vipers, Hornets (including two stops by the Blue Angels this year), Harriers, Herks, C-17s, Omega Tankers, KC-135s and AN-124s as well as USMC Helos / Osprey at Mesa Gateway Airport East Phoenix. MGW used to be Williams AFB and 3 x 10,000’ runways are hard to pass up.

We also get transient military at Sky Harbor as well.

PS, I spent time in Primos, Havertown and West Chester back in the 80s. Used to love to go spotting at PHL back by Ft Mifflen.

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Oh no kidding, I didn’t know it was so common. This was the first time I saw any military aircraft come out of PIA, I was surprised to say the least. I wish I saw it more often. Haha.

Hahaha, yeah Hog Island Rd. There is nothing like having an airliner zoom right over your head. It’s like that scene from Wayne’s World, when they’re laying on the hood of the car, on that road. Though for obvious reasons the Police Don’t like people stopping anymore.

Seems some air ports are like that. I live in Long Beach and can see planes landing out my window. Usually Hornets Blackhawks or AH-1s. Occasionally C-17, as they used to build them at Long Beach I believe, you almost always see a C-17 parked at one end of the air port. But what about the old army air field in Seal Beach? No one will touch it, air space is closed for gliders and hot air balloons:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Oh no kidding, I didn’t know it was so common. This was the first time I saw any military aircraft come out of PIA, I was surprised to say the least. I wish I saw it more often. Haha.

Hahaha, yeah Hog Island Rd. There is nothing like having an airliner zoom right over your head. It’s like that scene from Wayne’s World, when they’re laying on the hood of the car, on that road. Though for obvious reasons the Police Don’t like people stopping anymore.

Really? That’s too bad.

I almost got hit by a train wandering around between the airport and the river after dark one time. Looked in my mirror and all I saw was the front coupler on a switching engine! Good Times! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

That’s pretty awesome. I wouldn’t mind that many military aircraft coming here. Haha. Fantastic photo by the way!

I’m going to be more aware and ready to get a photo/vid of these aircraft. For some reason the fly overs seem more frequent. In any case I know I can get some good photos of the Chinooks Boeing test flies.

Hopefully I get lucky and see some more Hornets or maybe even an F-16.

@AeriaGloria it’s funny because I just saw a vid where a flight of Canadian F/A-18s flew from Canada to California and landed at LAX (I think it was LAX) for training. Seems like a long journey just to introduce a pilot to crowded airspace. Haha.

There’s a saying that if you can fly out of John Wayne/Santa Ana/SNA you can fly out of anywhere. As a commercial drone operator, the busy airspace of Southern California is crazy.

Always wanted to see an An-124!

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

That’s pretty awesome. I wouldn’t mind that many military aircraft coming here. Haha. Fantastic photo by the way!

I’m going to be more aware and ready to get a photo/vid of these aircraft. For some reason the fly overs seem more frequent. In any case I know I can get some good photos of the Chinooks Boeing test flies.

Hopefully I get lucky and see some more Hornets or maybe even an F-16.

@AeriaGloria it’s funny because I just saw a vid where a flight of Canadian F/A-18s flew from Canada to California and landed at LAX (I think it was LAX) for training. Seems like a long journey just to introduce a pilot to crowded airspace. Haha.

Canadian Hornets in SoCal are likely headed to / from NAF El Centro. They’re frequent visitors there. I’ve been fortunate to go on board at El Centro on several occasions to shoot.

The bulk of the Hornet shots in this gallery have come from El Centro visits:

https://crosswindimages.com/p404947472

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com