TWS

IRememberJeep

So I just got done using TWS on the F-18 for the first time. I think there is a bug though. Every time I lock up a target and fire a missile the enemy seems to blow up after 10-20 seconds. Sometimes they don’t even start going defensive until it’s too late. I thought I should bring this to the attention of the Devs so they can fix it. :-)

Seriously though, I wanted to thank the ED Team for TWS. It’s amazing and working extremely smoothly. It’ll take some time but I’m looking forward mastering this system. I’m trying to get over to the F-16 to see the updates but I can’t take myself away from the F-18 just yet.

So I just got done using TWS on the F-18 for the first time. I think there is a bug though. Every time I lock up a target and fire a missile the enemy seems to blow up after 10-20 seconds. Sometimes they don’t even start going defensive until it’s too late. I thought I should bring this to the attention of the Devs so they can fix it. :-)

Not sure if troll or serious...

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

LMAO..... that actually happened to me few hours ago in GS server but thats because I was on Jeff which has broken RWR no warning whatsoever even Betty didint shout "missile.... missile" (really weird I know). I didnt do evasive maneuver because I thought the guy on the Hornet didnt shoot back so just flew straight to the missile on my face lol.
Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

That's how I died 95% of the time on multiplayer servers. F16 and F14 TWS attacks without warning that make you trust and die off guard.

A good tool

Thats different, Hornet RWR works fine. You get RWR screaming for incoming active missile so at least you have few sec to react but not on Jeff currently broken RWR.

That's the point of TWS: you don't get a spike as target, since you are technically not being STT'd. You RWR goes off once the AIM-120 goes pitbull.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

In the TWS attacks I have received, the RWR has notified me 10 seconds before the impact. I have not had where to hide.

That's because your RWR notified you of the active missile's radar activating and locking you up, which happens when the missile is at a distance of 8-10 NM away. You'll never have much time to react. Just like with certain SAM systems, assume you that can have a missile on the way at any point and fly accordingly. Use your radar and datalink information to determine if those RWR nails are indeed a threat or not, since you won't get spiked.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On our server we noticed that with the new update, no matter what aircraft you choose, if you choose an aircraft that is not in slot 1 of available aircraft, DCS will crash.

We think maybe the missions have to be saved under the new update in mission editor then reloaded into the server?

Maybe?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On our server we noticed that with the new update, no matter what aircraft you choose, if you choose an aircraft that is not in slot 1 of available aircraft, DCS will crash.

We think maybe the missions have to be saved under the new update in mission editor then reloaded into the server?

Maybe?

v6,

boNes

No. It's a confirmed bug, scheduled to be hotfixed ASAP.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=258275&page=1

When in TWS, press RAID and then press Undesignate to switch between targets, cancels the RAID view. Is that correct behaviour? Should it not stay in RAID view when switching between targets?

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

The pinky button on the stick, the same one you use to activate/deactivate nosewheel steering. The default keyboard binding is S, IIRC.
Pinky button is for NWS High not to activate / deactivate NWS. Its the paddle switch function.

In TWS mode pinky button is used to cycle between contacts or switch to DT1 or DT2, yeah its kinda undesignate one target (to another target)

Use reset button to undesignate all.

CMIIW.

[ATTACH]223353[/ATTACH]

Edited by Oceandar

Yikes... :pilotfly:

Anyway, glad everyone is enjoying as much as I am. Unless you’re dying from it. Haha. Seriously a great tool. It’s definitely taking me some time to learn but I’m already wondering how I got by without it. Especially with how many waves of fighters come in on Phase 1 in GAW.

Hello eveyone,

Besides the tutorial videos, is there an updated section about the TWS procedures at the manual, or at Chucks manual ?

Thank you.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hello eveyone,

Besides the tutorial videos, is there an updated section about the TWS procedures at the manual, or at Chucks manual ?

Thank you.

@Top

This may help you out.

Grim Reapers:

Two seperate videos that have been updated to reflect the addition of TWS.

@Top

This may help you out.

Grim Reapers:

Two seperate videos that have been updated to reflect the addition of TWS.

Hello,

Thank you for these!

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

...still making confusion, between some concepts regarding TWS.

- There's LNS and DT2 modes, which I don't understand what DT2 is;

- and besides the nose wheel steering / undesignate command (which cicles throught targets), the cage/uncage button also effects changes in a fashion I can't quite understand yet.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

- and besides the nose wheel steering / undesignate command (which cicles throught targets), the cage/uncage button also effects changes in a fashion I can't quite understand yet.

So L&S will be the target with the star on it on the radar page. To cycle through and make different tracks the L&S, you use the undesignate button. To select a DT2, you press TDC depress, and that target will get a hollow diamond on it. After you do that, undesignate will no longer cycle L&S, but will instead swap L&S with DT2. The idea is that you select your two most important targets, then you can fire on the L&S, hit undesignate to make the DT2 your new L&S and then you can fire on it. So easy/quick firing at two targets.

No idea about cage/uncage.

Ok, so TWS is scanning all targets in front of you within the parameters of the radar. Azimuth & Elevation. So think of L+S (the target with star) as the primary target which the radar is currently providing “Launch + Steering” info to the missile for. The DT2 is the secondary target, the radar is merely designating that contact on the screen so you know what contact will be considered the next target to engage. If you were to try and fire on the DT2 target the missile wouldn’t be getting any tracking data. So you would be able to shoot at the L+S target, then hit undesignate which will switch L+S to your DT2 target. Then you would be able to fire on that second target.

Maybe a simpler way to say it is that every target is a DT (Designated Target). The contact on the screen with the star on it is being tracked by the radar and the radar is providing L+S (Launch + Steering) data to the missile for that target so the missile will hit that target. When you hit the undesignate the radar will then switch from that first designated target to the DT2 or “Designated Target 2”. That will then allow the radar to provide L+S for that second target, in effect turning the DT2 into the L+S target.

I hope that makes sense.

So the radar can maintain 10 tracks;

- 8 of these are just displayed on your radar with no information in the HUD

- the DT2 target is in the HUD but has no other info displayed other than an X, it is your second target

- the L&S is the target you are currently preparing to fire upon so has a target box and launch parameters so you are receiving launch (L) cues and steering (S) cues.

So you can guide a missile to any track, but it has to be the L&S target to fire on it. The DT2 target is one you are keeping an eye on. Perhaps you have launched on it already and want to know where it is to look for the explosion to indicate a hit, or what they are doing so you can keep track while prosecuting one target.

So the radar can maintain 10 tracks;

- 8 of these are just displayed on your radar with no information in the HUD

- the DT2 target is in the HUD but has no other info displayed other than an X, it is your second target

- the L&S is the target you are currently preparing to fire upon so has a target box and launch parameters so you are receiving launch (L) cues and steering (S) cues.

So you can guide a missile to any track, but it has to be the L&S target to fire on it. The DT2 target is one you are keeping an eye on. Perhaps you have launched on it already and want to know where it is to look for the explosion to indicate a hit, or what they are doing so you can keep track while prosecuting one target.

I like this explanation better than mine. :megalol:

Thank you guys for your insight, I'll look into it with more attention (and time).

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system