Normandy Map is finished

Magic Zach

UGRA Media, what the hell? The map is still unoptimized. There is no winter season texture. Not to mention the textures are clearly repetitive. I know that maps repeat tiles and such to not get that single gargantuan texture (and massive workload), but I think some more work could definitely be put into minimizing how obvious it is, like having a few different textures that could be used for one field, instead of the same one.

But UGRA has completely abandoned Normandy and then moved to do a Syria map. Utterly uncool. Once the Syria map is done, UGRA should definitely come back to the Normandy and complete that left over 15%.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

And that is not all.

Under the VERY SAME CONDITIONS, stutters appear

in the Normandy map, especially when Flying close to the ground,

whereas on ALL THE OTHER MAPS, under the VERY SAME CONDITIONS,

stutters DO NOT appear and flights are completely fluid.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

But UGRA has completely abandoned Normandy and then moved to do a Syria map. Utterly uncool. Once the Syria map is done, UGRA should definitely come back to the Normandy and complete that left over 15%.

The initial KickStarted never plan the UK south coast, and any France territory outside of Normandy areas.

Landscape:

Normandy. Area of the historical D-Day Invasion, as well as the extensive preparation and follow-up battles.

The UK south coast has a pledge never reach ($158,000 vs $275,000). Ugra Media never was the initial map team on the KS, That with added after old WW2 defunct and ED take the project control. Never was planned a detail south England or a France terrain.

About WW2 after KS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=126824

Edited by Silver_Dragon

The initial KickStarted never plan the UK south coast, and any France territory outside of Normandy areas.

The UK south coast has a pledge never reach ($158,000 vs $275,000). Ugra Media never was the initial map team on the KS, That with added after old WW2 defunct and ED take the project control. Never was planned a detail south England or a France terrain. Actually has not plans to a Normandy update yet.

I never said a thing about adding more landscape at all.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Summer textures and area coverage are fine...

If only it would not stutter....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

There are no winter textures because the map is focused after D-Day landings timeframe (late June 1944).

Bye

Phant

That does not mean it should be limited to just D-day. No map is used for a specific time frame it may be intended for. It is a place for mission creators to get creative. A winter texture is a must.

Bye

Yes, the winter textures would be nice, but the main thing is the stuttering...

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Generally your expectations are fair. There are however few points to consider.

One is the question is if the winter textures had been originally in scope or not. It's fair to ask for something that was advertised to be included but if it hasn't, it's up to the courtesy of the developer - even if others do include it.

Another points is that with all do honesty, while we should expect that devs finish their work, the Normandy didn't really storm the DCS. At the same time we can rather assume that the new Syria map will get much more popular. Just look on the number of Normandy MP servers and compare it to number of servers running PG or even Nevada. Like it or not but Ugra seems to be allocating their resources according to a reasonable priority - investing time to develop more anticipated map as well securing new income to their business.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

That does not mean it should be limited to just D-day. No map is used for a specific time frame it may be intended for. It is a place for mission creators to get creative. A winter texture is a must.

Bye

From the ED Normandy page:

The DCS: Normandy 1944 Map is centered on the World War II battlefield of Normandy, France and is specifically created to depict the period after the D-Day landings and the establishment of several allied airfields in Normandy to support the beachhead breakout in late June 1944. The map measures 267 x 348 kilometers and includes airfields in both Normandy and southern England. The map includes the famous D-Day landing beaches and the "Atlantic Wall", rolling bocage fields of Normandy, large cities like Caen and Rouen, ports of Cherbourg and Le Havre, and 30 airfields. The map also includes multiple seasons and more detail and accuracy than any previous DCS World map by utilizing new map technologies.

From the ED Normandy page:
Fair.

Another points is that with all do honesty, while we should expect that devs finish their work, the Normandy didn't really storm the DCS. At the same time we can rather assume that the new Syria map will get much more popular. Just look on the number of Normandy MP servers and compare it to number of servers running PG or even Nevada. Like it or not but Ugra seems to be allocating their resources according to a reasonable priority - investing time to develop more anticipated map as well securing new income to their business.

Being the first WWII map to DCS, it was very important that it be good. WWII in DCS won't grow if it won't be nurtured. One of the biggest reason that nobody flies on that map is not because it's fit for WWII, but because everyone has stutters or low frame rate, like I do. The Caucasus, with more trees, runs far better.

Also Silver, you can't deny that such a window is extremely narrow as it is. Being built specifically for D-day looks short-sighted. We don't even have aircraft that fit the theater, so why be so restrictive on the map?

Being the first WWII map to DCS, it was very important that it be good. WWII in DCS won't grow if it won't be nurtured.

WW2 is now growing. Remember ED has building two new WW2 maps, one show on a Wags video as "Strait of Dover" and another. And of course three new aircrafts on develop (Fw-190 A-8, Moskito and P-47), more to follow (Me262 and anothers), updates to actual WW2 modules, the new damage model, dynamic campaing (WW2 has the testbed) and more units to the WW2 assets pack.

All this developments are great, but very diminished

if the stuttering of Normandy (and Normandy only) is not corrected.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I know this isn't exactly what a user expects but for what it is worth I am going to say this anyway. ED already announced that once Syria map is completed they will talk to the developers about addressing Normandy map issues.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The issues I see with the Normandy map are as follows

1. Questionable areas of repeat texture mapping in some areas.

2. Some of the Main Supply Routes are either missing or inaccurate

3. Lower performance than other maps.

4. Lack of user place-able rough field airstrips.

5. Some decidedly odd and suspect shapes of woods/tree clusters

6. Some airfields wrongly places/oriented

7. British airfields generically placed/formatted despite plenty of available documentation

8. Trains functionality bugged

9. Current lack of AI a/c assets for period modelled

10. Current lack of non-armoured period weapon systems

11. Current lack of period ships, particularly Axis

12. Current lack of period mobile AAA

13. Current lack of period radar systems

7. British airfields generically placed/formatted despite plenty of available documentation

8. Trains functionality bugged

Thanks,

And:

14. Current lack of period German bombers

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Thanks,

And:

14. Current lack of period German bombers

That only enter into the WW2 assets pack, no a map. Actually the WW2 team has building some more AI units (Fighters, Bombers, Ships, Vehicles, etc), others planned and others into DCS but not implemented.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735501&postcount=177

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt, DCS: de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI, and DCS: Fw 190 A-8 Shrike

These three of these aircraft are well underway and we plan to release or more in 2019. With the addition of the new damage model, dynamic campaign, new World War II maps, and more units added to the World War II Assets Pack like the Ju-88, Bf 109G, C-47, A-20G, and others, DCS World War II will continue to grow and bring great new gameplay!

Strug III

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3612356&postcount=157

M10 Wolverine

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3675839&postcount=166

Centaur IV Tank

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3791166&postcount=182

Ships and submarines on develop by ED team and Coyote.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

That only enter into the WW2 assets pack, no a map. Actually the WW2 team has building some more AI units (Fighters, Bombers, Ships, Vehicles, etc), others planned and others into DCS but not implemented.

That still leaves 1 through 6

I am from a squadron of 70 guys and we all feel the same than this about it. Same in almost every other french squadrons we know too. This map seems something like 50% finished or seems almost lower to anybody who knows well this period, conflict and zone. This is a well documented battle and so many things are wrong. We really hope the team of Ugra-Media will jump on it to correct it after they do their Syria map, otherwise DCS WWII will sadly never really takes-off (not with with this map anyway). :noexpression:

And this "4. User place-able rough field airstrips." is the best idea ever.

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

otherwise DCS WWII will sadly never really takes-off (not with with this map anyway). :noexpression:

That can be true if ED not continue add functionality and more content to WW2, but has modules, maps and functionality incoming. The Normandy map was only a "testbed" to Ugra-Media to build maps on ED technology (my opinion), surely that company after Siria can build more maps, but to WW2, 2 news maps coming by ED and expected see some other 3rd party build more and more content (nothing has talk about east and pacific front). Waiting news about a "old" pacific project "reborn" some day and expected Ugra-Media can be some new "project" in the east in a future.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

That can be true if ED not continue add functionality and more content to WW2, but has modules, maps and functionality incoming. , surely that company after Siria can build more maps

I have a lot of trust in ED's plans and many people in my squadron too, new DM, new planes, functionality etc. and we love Persian Gulf, NTTR, Georgia !

Where the trust is lacking is when it comes to Ugra-Media and the (45$) unfinished and already two years old, only map we can flight currently for WW2 and that seems abandoned. I say "seems" because it is probably not the case, but the lack of communication about the state of the map by the devs is not really reassuring and still prevent us to really make plans on a big multiplayer campaign as we do in other sims currently. And we really want to do it on Normandy, but in the current state... :noexpression:

The Normandy map was only a "testbed" to Ugra-Media to build maps on ED technology (my opinion)

I'm sure you won't have any complains if it was sold with the price of a "test-bed" map.

2 news maps coming by ED and expected see some other 3rd party build more and more content (nothing has talk about east and pacific front). Waiting news about a "old" pacific project "reborn" some day and expected Ugra-Media can be some new "project" in the east in a future.

That's a good thing and we're happy about that.

Not sure we'll continue acquiring Ugra-Media maps after that experience tough... If Normandy is not correctly corrected.

Many thanks for your answer Dragon !

Have a good day.

Edited by -IRRE-Rolluptito

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -