how to find (lock) targets

milanG

well, i know how to lock..but..how to use it.

i cannt see ground enemies . and when i visualy find them, than is too less time time to lock, from moment i cann identify target o tgp screen.

so..how to lock ground targets from distance...20 miles?

thera are also anti radar missiles? to fight with SAM mobile stations?

thx for help!!

well, i know how to lock..but..how to use it.

i cannt see ground enemies . and when i visualy find them, than is too less time time to lock, from moment i cann identify target o tgp screen. so..how to lock ground targets from distance...20 miles? thera are also anti radar missiles? to fight with SAM mobile stations?

thx for help!!

Well, no offense meant, the Hog is a bit more complicated platform than you seem to think it is. To answer your question as it is tough, if you don't have any coordinates or terrain/structure hint where you have to look for them, I would start scanning with TGP from standoff distance and rather higher altitude (if ceiling allows), utilizing the FOVs and the zoom capability of the TGP. There is no point and no sense using Mark 1 Eyeball, if you have a huge magnifier (and much more) at your disposal. Of course you need to learn all the procedures with all the onboard systems too.

No anti radar missiles, so you better be quick to learn dodging them. For probably all questions you would ever ask, there are tons of very cool and much more informative videos on youtube, than anybody here would be able to write down for you in the same amount of time it takes watching any of them. :thumbup:

Edited by Razor18

It is close to immposible to find a target in a relatively big area only by TGP. TGP is for targeting and indentifying not for searching. You have to know a general area with a size not bigger than a military base camp or such which you can spot by eyes, point tgp there and look for a specific target or having coordinates/waypoint and slew the tgp to them.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok..and how to search mobile ground targets?

so ok. for searching of ground mobile enemies , when i am already in plane, how you would do?

but thx for quick info. that i needet, about tgp, that this is not primary for searching.

so ok. for searching of ground mobile enemies , when i am already in plane, how you would do?

but thx for quick info. that i needet, about tgp, that this is not primary for searching.

It depends on the situation. If they are somewhere on the caucasus map but you have no idea where, just dont look for them :)

If you have a waypoint where they should be, fly high enought so manpads cant shoot you (above 12-13000feet) and start scanning by both eyes and tgp. You cant spot them from 20miles most of the times, just go closer to spot them easier mark them with markpoing or just as spi go away for some distance turn hot and enagage.

Note that A10 is a kind of Aircraft that regulary is shooted at, so be prepared to avoid IR SAMs and AAA :)

If there are radar sams there, dont go, it is not an A10 job.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Milan

I also had the same problem. I know my targets but to find or how to lock is sometimes very difficult.

But I try to give you some advices to find your targets:

In the briefing you see which are your targets. In the editor you can see where they are located. Look for some geopraphical indications (is there may a river near the targets or a special building). Normally your targets are marked as a waypoint. So you just have to use stear all sensors to your SPI (the waypoint where your targets are located) and then you can search them with your tgp. But this just works when the altitude of your waypoint is 0. If the altitude of the waypoint is for example 17000 ft you have to change it to 0. Please check this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3035360&postcount=10

Hope I could help you a little bit. The A-10C isn't an easy airplane and it takes some time to handle it. Just be patient :thumbup:

Cheers Weasel

your missions waypoints are the general/precise area where your targets will be, so ... TGP

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

There are multiple parts to this question.

Finding the general area of the targets you are meant to kill. This will usually involve your waypoints. If you are not following and/or not aware of how to follow waypoints for the mission you need to do a few more training flights and start there.

Note the name of the waypoint often (not always) gives you clues. TGT for example, or IP / FENCE. Fly to the IP, circle using the autopilot, select the TGT waypoint and china hat aft long to point the TGP towards the target.

The second part of this question is, when you know the area and have the TGP pointing in that area, how do you spot targets.

The answer is, with difficulty. It's a long standing issue with DCS that the TGP and IR cameras don't work right. A tank sitting in the middle of a road or field should be easy enough to spot, but anything in a built up area or forest is impossible. You can turn labels on and see with your eyes were the targets are but still spend 5 minutes trying to pick them up on TGP. Switching between Low Light, IR Black Hot and IR white hot repeatedly can draw your attention to somethings, but it's still not easy. Adjusting the gain can sometimes help, usually not.

When all else fails, use lablels, boresight the TGP and HUD and fly at the target, with the HUD as SOI slew the target data cursor onto the target and set it as SPI, then slew the TGP to the SPI. Or with TGP as SOI move the TGP view cursor around on the HUD to be over the target. Sometimes the target will be behind a building or under trees and you still won't see it. Have another look or just chuck an area weapon in, like a CBU.

Hopefully this new IR system will not be too long in the making as the current TGP is terrible. In 2.0 we currently have white hot cacti in the desert!

YAQS7sSQB3s

Oldie but goodie video by Wags above is about AI, it does show you how he is working with the TGP at distance still.

iksk-PJNt5E

Bunyap Sims Full mission can be found using the link below, recommend watching Bunyap go through a complete mission and how he thinks and goes about it.

Bunyap Sims

Many good quick quick straight to the point tutorials.

Be sure to use the Autopilot to help you fly hands off at a distance and use the TGP.

(ALT): Keep current bank angle and altitude

Chuck's Tutorial Library

Download the DCS A-10C Warthog, this will help you get up to speed quickly.

• Like 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hopefully this new IR system will not be too long in the making as the current TGP is terrible. In 2.0 we currently have white hot cacti in the desert!

THIS! It's pathetic how bad the TGP has become. In WHOT the ground has more texture than in CCD! Come on ED, what have you done? :(

We don't know what will happen with the new ground textures for the Caucasus map / 2.5 to make the TGP better perhaps, also we can only hope that some of the tech on the F/A18 development might just trickle down to the FLIR for the A10? For now while waiting to see, I'm just using different textures to help spotting. It shouldn't be that easy, tanks don't really sit in the middle of fields with no air support and would be very hard to spot when sitting (cold) hiding from A10's, well I would.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157520&stc=1&d=1487461083

t-72m.jpg.58c5bf9a5d4b1c1edd85364351c4584f.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

We don't know what will happen with the new ground textures for the Caucasus map / 2.5 to make the TGP better perhaps, also we can only hope that some of the tech on the F/A18 development might just trickle down to the FLIR for the A10? For now while waiting to see, I'm just using different textures to help spotting. It shouldn't be that easy, tanks don't really sit in the middle of fields with no air support and would be very hard to spot when sitting (cold) hiding from A10's, well I would.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157520&stc=1&d=1487461083

This is correct but the problem now is that part of the ground textures and trees appear hotter than a running tank or infantry. And a flir camera doesn't care if the tank is camouflaged, if it's hot you will see it ( not currently unfortunately).

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]