Is the Normandy map dead?

imacken

I keep reading on various posts in these forums that Normandy is dead, i.e. no more development will be taking place, including updating to the new graphics standards for trees,etc.

Can anyone confirm the status of this map?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading on various posts in these forums that Normandy is dead, i.e. no more development will be taking place, including updating to the new graphics standards for trees,etc.

Can anyone confirm the status of this map?

Yes the developers (Urga media) have moved onto another map.

Which is very annoying. It would be nice for them to finish and fix this one first before moving onto another.

Yes the developers (Urga media) have moved onto another map.

Which is very annoying. It would be nice for them to finish and fix this one first before moving onto another.

Moving onto another map doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of Normandy development. ED still update the A-10!

It would be nice to get an answer on this, as a lot of people don’t use modules like the Spit, etc. because of the perceived poor performance of Normandy.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Moving onto another map doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of Normandy development. ED still update the A-10!

It would be nice to get an answer on this, as a lot of people don’t use modules like the Spit, etc. because of the perceived poor performance of Normandy.

When you get the last Update for Normandy? So right now is the Support for the Map in Service Desert of Syria..

So they announced soon (what ever this means) July 2017 update with Airfields and so on because some of the Airfields are Concrete ones, not like in our Map currently...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Moving onto another map doesn’t necessarily mean anything in terms of Normandy development.

In this case, it does.

I remember, Wags said something like this. Ugra Media will return to the normandy when they finished the work on their new syria map. But maybe I confounded something.

And indeed the normandy gets very few attention by its developer. Almost no progress in an entire year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

It’s pathetic, really, after all the WWII Spit and Normandy hype of last year. I really don’t know why companies are not contracted to deliver a finished product to their paying customers.

Very, very disappointing.

In this case, it does.

I remember, Wags said something like this. Ugra Media will return to the normandy when they finished the work on their new syria map..

I think it was something like they ask them to finish Normandy.

Yes, it is "Very, very disappointing." Can’t agree more.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

It’s pathetic, really, after all the WWII Spit and Normandy hype of last year. I really don’t know why companies are not contracted to deliver a finished product to their paying customers.

Very, very disappointing.

This seems to be the trend now a days..........

This has already been discussed- at length- in other threads though.

Interestingly, in this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206444 BIGNEWY said we can expect an update soon. And that was in mid April.

So, there’s still hope?

Well, I won't be purchasing anything else from ED until they finish the Normandy map and anything else they've sold me that isn't completed. I'm tired of using half done maps, planes and objects while awaiting their promise to complete them.

Well, I won't be purchasing anything else from ED until they finish the Normandy map and anything else they've sold me that isn't completed. I'm tired of using half done maps, planes and objects while awaiting their promise to complete them.

This is my position also.

Sorry. I would very much like to buy the f18 and other maps but not until the modules I already paid for are completed to an acceptable standard.

That is exactly my position except i do not buy anything until P-47 release...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

No it's not dead. It's pining for the Fjiords!

Listen mate, this map wouldn't Voom if you put 2000 volts through it! It's singing in the holy choir invisible. It's pushing up the daisies. It is no more!

Nah, it's restin'

Resting? It's beedin extinct! It is no more! If it hadn't been nailed to it's perch it'd be 6 feet under!

No really, it's just stunned, it was just waking up when you knocked it aart mate!

I did think they’d said that post the Syria map, that Normandy would be getting Speedtrees.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I too am disappointed that UGRA Media haven't released any changes to Normandy, especially considering their absolute silence and total lack of representation anywhere.

I'd very much like to use it more, but it's clearly unfinished and updates have not been coming. SpeedTrees appear to be a must just for performance.

Devil's advocate though:

Normandy was mostly given away to the original WWII backers, which is something people forget.

Perhaps they need to make Syria first to raise some more money?

Edited by Buzzles
Spelling

A lot of objects, including tree, flicker on this map. Users with epilepsy probably should stay away from this map.

Exactly! I would be able to accept the inaccuracies or even the bad coloring of textures, but the shimmering/flickering problem of this map is terrible. I have posted on this in the Bugs forum but no reply yet.

Oh no, I just bought the map along with the WWII assets... didnt take a look into the forum before.

As I just have the 2.5 open beta installed at this moment it means I just dont be able to use the map? I have no option to install it in the module manager.

Bugger, should have read ^^ if this map is really dead I just wasted a lot of money

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

The map is dead in terms of Multiplayer. Hardly anyone hosts / flies public servers on it. It may well be very alive and well amongst the Single Player users. Difficult to tell.

I personally like it for SP, however it is a performance hog and can be a bit frustrating at times, especially as I only fly in VR.

Also it is tough to be able to quickly fly in some WWII scenarios, throw together a quick mission and one will find themselves fighting modern jet aircraft. Not good.

Bunyap's Epsom campaign though appears to be fantastic.

Right now though I have turned my eyes on the Persian Gulf map along with the F-18C coming over the next several days. I expect these will be getting more of my attention for a while. And hopefully the PG map will be much better optimized than Normandy.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oh no, I just bought the map along with the WWII assets... didnt take a look into the forum before.

As I just have the 2.5 open beta installed at this moment it means I just dont be able to use the map? I have no option to install it in the module manager.

Bugger, should have read ^^ if this map is really dead I just wasted a lot of money

DCS asks to activate the map when you select it in the mission editor for the first time.

If the Module Manager doesn't offer you the WWII Assets Pack and the Normandy map, try to open autoupdate.cfg with notepad and add this text:

"NORMANDY_terrain", "WWII-ARMOUR",

with the " marks in the autoupdate.cfg file somewhere between your other modules which are listed there.

After that use the repair DCS function.

Edited by schroedi

Assets pack is pretty much a waste of money also. I'm leaning toward the growing list of people who are cutting ED off $$$$ until the already released stuff gets finished. It's getting pretty ridiculous.