BIG SMOKE now triggerable

SonofEil

I haven't found if this is already posted/announced, but BIG SMOKE IS NOW TRIGGERABLE. It's not the most intuitive approach, but it works.

Here's the method I've been using:

Create a static object, warehouse, whatever.

Create a trigger zone directly over the static object, warehouse, whatever.

Create a trigger. Under "Conditions" select Unit Dead (your static object, etc.), then under "Actions" there's a new option called Effect-Smoke.

Viola, big smoke is triggered on destruction of the unit.

Caveats:

There's still no late activation option in the static objects list, so 'activate static object' is not used.

Don't use the 'Group' conditions on static objects, the smoke will trigger immediately. 'Group' conditions appear to function properly with non-static objects.

Smoke only forms in the center of the trigger zone assigned to it. As such, you can destroy a building and have the smoke triggered on the other side of the map if that's where you placed the zone.

The size of the trigger zone might have an effect on whether the smoke is triggered and/or visible. I've had succes with a 500 foot trigger zone and large smoke and fire.

HUGE smoke and fire doesn't seem to be working, I get a small smoke only. This might have to do with zone size, but haven't tested that far yet.

And that's it. Sorry if this is old news, but it's new to me.:thumbup:

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

It wasn't announced, but it's accessible now as a trigger actions. Still looking for scripting API's to it and to make it "disappear", but this is one of those things that you see creep in, release on release with some new features, much like the way they handle F10 user marks, it gets tweaked and changed.

Once it has scripting calls to appear and disappear, you should see these types of effects appear on multiplayer servers to signify attacked targets and draw pilots attentions more naturally. Looking forward to seeing it get used online properly, it was a great addition to DCS.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *