[REPORTED] INLET ICE Warning message

Knives

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning on heat shouldn't make the message go away.

I have no idea what turns that message on for the F/A-18, but for the old JFTD-12A on our S-64 Sky Cranes, there is a small temp sensor bonded to the back side of the air intake. When it senses a temp of less than 30 degrees F, it triggers the caution light in the cockpit. If we then turn on the Anti-ice, which ports hot bleed air into the Bellmouth inlet, that sensor sees the temp rise and it will extinguish the caution light. When you turn off the Anti-ice, a few minutes later the caution light will come back on.

The JFTD-12A's on our Cranes are turbojet engines with a free turbine bolted on the back end that were also installed on the old NA T-39 Saber Liner and the Lockheed C-140 Jetstar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They definitely follow these threads. The fact that this thread in particular has 18 pages and no tag or response from ED should tell you all you need to know about where this falls on their priority list.

Unfortunately this is one of those many easy wins they inexplicably never fix. Like the deliberately broken static object render distance and deliberately broken m61 accuracy, they could easily take 90 seconds to delete the alarm and they choose not to. Hell all three of those issues could be fixed in 90 seconds.

ASUS Maximus Hero IX with i7 7700K OC’d to 4.8Ghz. EVGA 1080 ti. RAM 32GB DDR4. Old Samsung 1080p TV, hopefully VR soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no idea what turns that message on for the F/A-18, but for the old JFTD-12A on our S-64 Sky Cranes, there is a small temp sensor bonded to the back side of the air intake. When it senses a temp of less than 30 degrees F, it triggers the caution light in the cockpit. If we then turn on the Anti-ice, which ports hot bleed air into the Bellmouth inlet, that sensor sees the temp rise and it will extinguish the caution light. When you turn off the Anti-ice, a few minutes later the caution light will come back on.

The JFTD-12A's on our Cranes are turbojet engines with a free turbine bolted on the back end that were also installed on the old NA T-39 Saber Liner and the Lockheed C-140 Jetstar.

It's not a temperature sensor in the Hornet, it's a proper ice detector - one of those vibrating types that gets dampted by ice accretion, which it can in turn sense (IIRC!)

I believe hot bleed air is ported into the engine after the ice detector also, so turning on the anti-ice won't cause a temp rise/melt any ice on the detector.

Correct, but it should prevent the master caution shouldn't it???

No, I don't believe so, as above. The ice detector tells you that icing conditions exist and that anti-ice is requierd, it does not indicate whether the anti-ice has successfully de-iced the engine.