Syrian Map Discussion

ghashpl

I wonder...

No news of this in the 2020 preview newsletter... :(

Who is going to be the first with their map...

ED or Ugra Media

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
IMHO, with the current escalation between Turkey, Russia and Syria. Pre-sales or at least announcements will have big impact in sales. Specially with bundles F16 + Syria map.

And todays news is.... Objects 74363485-74363877 were placed in two new towns on the south edge.

Stay tuned for tomorrows update, it is due to have objects 74363877 to 74363993, and we can look at how the village takes shape around the stream.

Seriously, terrain updates are not easy to do it's absolutely soul destroying work.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

And todays news is.... Objects 74363485-74363877 were placed in two new towns on the south edge.

Stay tuned for tomorrows update, it is due to have objects 74363877 to 74363993, and we can look at how the village takes shape around the stream.

Seriously, terrain updates are not easy to do it's absolutely soul destroying work.

I did not say terrain updates are easy!

About your "today's news" statement. This is applicable for everything not just terrain updates. So programming for example (We added an if() statement in AI code, we changed a constant from 0.22121 to 0.022122, and we added as well a new class with few functions in it.............). Yet, there is still something called progress updates/announcements.

I was proposing an idea that did not need any type of mockery!

Edited by kariem2k

I did not say terrain updates are easy!

About your "today's news" statement. This is applicable for everything not just terrain updates. So programming for example (We added an if() statement in AI code, we changed a constant from 0.22121 to 0.022122, and we added as well a new class with few functions in it.............). Yet, there is still something called progress updates/announcements.

I was proposing an idea that did not need any type of mockery!

What type of update do you want if there is nothing to show? How would you know if anything had been changed without revealing the entire detail of everything to it? I'm interested, do you want a picture of a random town. Has it occurred that they dont want to show it incomplete with any detail because that will raise questions on "why X features/location/airport" is not included" from the potential customers, in the middle of development when the work has been scheduled for a very specific amount of airports/locations and when these forums get hold of specifics then they just want something else/more/different? And finally, by debating this and discussing it, you realise that generates discussion that propels the marketing, so mystery is part of the entire process?

Basically it goes like this... Wags shows a video of a Hornet... in the background is a Mi8 parked and you breifly glimpse at it and then everyone is talking about it and getting excited. It's called teasing. FOlks always fall for that! :)

Not quite

Pre-sales or at least announcements will have big impact in sales. Specially with bundles F16 + Syria map.

First of all, it's the quality of the presented product and not announcements that drive sales. Since they are not updating us, the community, about it, it means one thing - devs are not ready to show it publicly yet.

Recently ED mentioned on a couple of occasions that they provided their feedback to the 3rd party about this terrain, so that is something, right? I mean, at least we know this is still in progress and being worked on.

I think we will see ED's Channel map first and I am more inclined to think the next one will be Marianas map, with Syria and Falklands that will follow.

I guess I believe more in ED than in a 3rd party.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I suspect you're right on the release schedule...

Though it does throw into sharp focus the disconnect between Ed/3rd party development (in terms of modules/AI assets/terrains) and usage in a game/sim context.

Channel Map - no Battle of Britain modules/AI assets doesn't add anything additional compared to Normandy Map for Normandy Scenarios

Marianas - another training area like NTTR with no conceivable cold war/modern conflict scenarios (Currently no modules/AI assets for WW2 scenarios)

Syria - many modules/AI assets usable on this map, many contempary and/or speculative scenarios for conflict

Airbag_signatur.png

There are some valid points right there mate, asisde from Marianas being training map,

but wait for people to say that Syria map without Cyprus is also not conceivable.

Surely that Korean Peninsula would be better fit than Marianas but remember ED is going to offer this for free.

I am also a bit sceptical as to the quality of the Syria map, we have seen some screenshots, but these were rather poor in terms of graphics compared to PG, or Channel / Marianas, and with ED saying only as much as that they provided their feedback ... well that speaks for itself.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a year and no new news?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Yeah, it got pretty quiet about the Syrian Map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The one dude doing it spent some time revisiting Normandy. He did another 6 airbases, some custom models of key features, a shore rework, lightings changes and extended the roadwork and towns quite a lot. People probably dont know how much work it takes to create ED maps. It's not like the models are generated automatically, they are placed manually. The custom models, like the Pegasus bridge, mont St Michel are made in 3DS and done all themself. There isn't too many shared assests as this was the first WW2 map, so all the houses and buildings and objects were done manually. What I'm saying is that the update to Normandy probably took at least a few months. I saw some map work being done by a third party, this stuff takes a really really really long time and is painstaking. Since the dev doesnt ever say anything anyway, he hasn't broken any promises and there shoudlnt be any expectations of dates for Syria, you can be really close and months away from what I've seen.

Oh dang. If it's really just one guy, that'd explain Normandy a bit. It's not the best quality map still, after the revisit. But if it's one person, then that one person did a hell of a job

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Something like this

I always thought it was a professor and their students

I know of one other person, beside Sergey who used to work on this project.

With all the work they did or are doing, according to their website, I am reluctant to believe it is in fact just one person doing it all.

Other than that, I had an impression last December that early access was close, that was based on several comments made by ED on the subject.

I understand that ED already passed their initial feedback, and the lack of any other information suggests, this map is not ready yet for this community to look at it, however I think we will see some information in not so distant future.

• 3 weeks later...
Last that i know is that site http://ugra-media.ru/ is dead, no more pictures or any news on this map.

That's fairly recent^^

But it doesn't mean anything, I can invent a few stories like, didnt/forgot to pay their web hosting bill, took a job on the terrain team at ED, formed a new company, sold it, took it down to stop all the annoying speculation. :D

I know of one other person, beside Sergey who used to work on this project.

With all the work they did or are doing, according to their website, I am reluctant to believe it is in fact just one person doing it all.

Other than that, I had an impression last December that early access was close, that was based on several comments made by ED on the subject.

I understand that ED already passed their initial feedback, and the lack of any other information suggests, this map is not ready yet for this community to look at it, however I think we will see some information in not so distant future.

I really really do hope so, and that this has not been abandoned

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And they said nothing yet about Cyprus right? Apart from the Akrotiri air base (that would add a lot of playable options), it will allow us to represent the 1974 invasion as well and related what if conflicts.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I didn't want to mention it before - because it will be refuted right away and calling it utter BlackShark - but the development of the map has been stopped/postponed for more than a year ago for political reasons (due to military/government(s) considerations) <the situation escalated quickly at that time>.

Oh, and the same is true to the Afghanistan map - been a while now.

You know guys it isn't "just a game".

May the THRUST be with you

Not quite

I really really do hope so, and that this has not been abandoned

I think abandoning it now and accepting incurred cost as a loss would not be good for the business if that business is to be sustained.

ED confirmed that the developer is working on improvements to their Normandy map and that is the reason they have paused with their Middle East project, if at all.

Times are extraordinary, and everything is subject to change, I am actually happy there was no early access of unfinished map yet which I'd spend money on.

I didn't want to mention it before - because it will be refuted right away and calling it utter BlackShark - but the development of the map has been stopped/postponed for more than a year ago for political reasons (due to military/government(s) considerations) <the situation escalated quickly at that time>.

Oh, and the same is true to the Afghanistan map - been a while now.

You know guys it isn't "just a game".

This is actually far from true, I spoke to BigNewy in PM about URGA's and the Syria map's status and he assured me that Urga is still working on the Syria map with internal feedback been given by ED, and are working on improvements on Normandy too. they hope to share more info again soon

I think abandoning it now and accepting incurred cost as a loss would not be good for the business if that business is to be sustained.

ED confirmed that the developer is working on improvements to their Normandy map and that is the reason they have paused with their Middle East project, if at all.

Times are extraordinary, and everything is subject to change, I am actually happy there was no early access of unfinished map yet which I'd spend money on.

Yeah indeed, I haven't lost hope (read above comment) :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]