Rift S vs HP Reverb

memoric

RiftS is about on par for non sim games compared to Reverb, for sims the difference between the S and the HP is similar to that between the CV1 and the S. Also CV1 controller tracking is much better - for example, holding a rifle in VR gets riftS into big tracking glitches, as does serving a ball in table tennis (same problems with Reverb's controllers).

For driving sims Reverb is absolutely peerless, as its performance is plenty good enough to give 90fps, mura being invisible when looking at the road and racetrack scenery, and clarity being better than RiftS's by at least a factor of 2.

Space sims - no idea.

Flight sims - if you have 1080ti or above and do not consider the extra $200 as being a factor, there is zero reason to prefer the RiftS. Ok, maybe colours are a little (but only a little and I mean it) bit better in the S.

This is my personal conclusion from owning both.

RiftS is about on par for non sim games compared to Reverb, for sims the difference between the S and the HP is similar to that between the CV1 and the S. Also CV1 controller tracking is much better - for example, holding a rifle in VR gets riftS into big tracking glitches, as does serving a ball in table tennis (same problems with Reverb's controllers).

For driving sims Reverb is absolutely peerless, as its performance is plenty good enough to give 90fps, mura being invisible when looking at the road and racetrack scenery, and clarity being better than RiftS's by at least a factor of 2.

Space sims - no idea.

Flight sims - if you have 1080ti or above and do not consider the extra $200 as being a factor, there is zero reason to prefer the RiftS. Ok, maybe colours are a little (but only a little and I mean it) bit better in the S.

This is my personal conclusion from owning both.

What about the 3D effect? This is a big thing for me. Is it true that the reverb has no 3D effect? If so, its a no buy for me, then i prefer the rift s.

Thank you!

What about the 3D effect? This is a big thing for me. Is it true that the reverb has no 3D effect? If so, its a no buy for me, then i prefer the rift s.

Thank you!

I have no problems and see 3d effect. :D Maybe it have something to do with the IPD distance. I have 67mm.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

All the HMDs that I've used - Vive, CV1, S, Reverb - have been nigh on identical in presentation of 3d depth. If anything, better clarity leads to stronger sense of depth, height and so on.

Just the thread I was looking for. I have a Rift CV1 and was thinking about upgrading. The ones I've been looking at, is the Rift S and Reverb.

My problem is, that I only have a 1080 and that wouldn't be enough for the Reverb.

So my question is, is there so much difference between the two, to justify waiting with the reverb until I upgrade my GPU? From this thread it doesn't seem like a huge difference?

Thanks,

Just the thread I was looking for. I have a Rift CV1 and was thinking about upgrading. The ones I've been looking at, is the Rift S and Reverb.

My problem is, that I only have a 1080 and that wouldn't be enough for the Reverb.

So my question is, is there so much difference between the two, to justify waiting with the reverb until I upgrade my GPU? From this thread it doesn't seem like a huge difference?

Thanks,

The one thing you can know is with the Rift S, you will see very similar performance as you get with the CV1, with better image clarity.

At the same time, 2080 cards are not a substantial leap over the 1080 cards either, especially if a somewhat older CPU.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'll admit, I was concerned back when I heard about the possible reduced 3D effect from the tested review. I feel 3D effect is essential!

Anyone else has noticed it ?

They said the same for Skyrim on PSVR, then it wasn't real ...

Boys with a lower GPU/CPU! YOU MUST HAVE THE 50 PERCENT VR BOOST UPDATE!

I hope this comes soon! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Anyone else has noticed it ?

They said the same for Skyrim on PSVR, then it wasn't real ...

No one in the DCS thread that actually has one has complained about it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

From my perspective, the "diminished 3D effect" problem is a phantom. If anything, the higher resolution, at least on the Reverb, enhances the 3D effect, because now you're able to see depth in tiny details that weren't even visible in headsets like the CV1.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

From my perspective, the "diminished 3D effect" problem is a phantom. If anything, the higher resolution, at least on the Reverb, enhances the 3D effect, because now you're able to see depth in tiny details that weren't even visible in headsets like the CV1.

Agreed. I have not noticed any diminished 3D effect in the Reverb. Everything is still just as gnarly in the verb as in the rift and it was something I deliberately looked for once I got it running.

Either the reports are false, or they have not got their IPD set up correctly. I measured my IPD very carefully on Sunday and repeatedly got 65mm.

Rift IPD adjustment with green cross always reported that my IPD was 63.5mm. Clearly using Rift values cannot be trusted. The Reverb was set at 64mm and once set at 65mm, things seemed surprisingly better somehow. It is nothing to put ones finger on, but it just seemed more comfortable viewing.

Just as well, because peering at my Shrek like visage in the mirror for a good while was distinctly not comfortable viewing.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Just as well, because peering at my Shrek like visage in the mirror for a good while was distinctly not comfortable viewing.

:lol:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

i have been running the reverb since release, no issues at all, perfect for DCS which is the only thing I use it for

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I have used both the HP Reverb and the Oculus Rift S. The clarity on both is amazing compared to generations before. The HP Reverb does have a sharper clarity when it came to text but it seemed extremely marginal to me for the $200+ price difference.

Both are superb devices but the next big jump in VR will not come from picture quality but software for natural hand/environment manipulation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Marginal ? I also owned both, including Odyssey as well. The Reverb is BY FAR much better clarity than either. Rift-S isn't really close: same blurry MFD's, same blurry distance spotting. Sure, it's better than a first gen VR, as it has less SDE, but nothing extra ordinary.

If you play DCS and want VR for DCS, Reverb is far better, and yes, $200 better than a Rift-S. Rift-S is cheaper because they provided a middle of the road resolution bump to keep the price down. It's in no way even close to 2160x2160 resolution.

IMO the only negative of the Reverb is its cord is heavy. So playing VR games where you are moving around, etc.. I'd suggest some sort of way to handle that. Honestly, I only play flight sims with my VR so I tend not to care.

But again, puuullleeeeassee people, stop trying to say this resolution is even close to comparable. You can make other arguments, but can't touch Reverb in terms of clarity.

As far as performance, I find it right on par, I don't notice a big leap of perf for me (1080ti, 9700k OC to 5, 32 gig, SSD) in comparison to other units.

Ultimately I'd say it depends on your budget, as with any technology, personally the extra $200 was well worth the price, I'm constantly amazed how well it looks. Secondly, decide how you are wanting to use the VR, if it's for DCS and simulation, it's a great VR headset. I have the latest Reverb and haven't had any issues.

It's all subjective gang, different folks will have different experiences.

No one size fits all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The one surprising thing to me was the overall performance of the Reverb.

I think everyone including myself expected it to be an issue. However it is not a big deal for several reasons.

WMR: For all the crap it gets, it seems like its actually more efficient in terms of processing compared to Occulus and maybe SteamVr. If you look at the various headsets they tend to have much lower overall hardware requirements. Personally I didn't think this would matter much, but it does seem to.

2. Less image processing required: This is the big one IMO. With the reverb, the headset just has to chunk out a native 2160 image per eye, all the supersampling and MSAA and other techniques do take a decent chunk of processing power to generate the higher res image, then sample it, then downsample it down to whatever native res. I never really had a feel for it prior to the reverb, but at a guess at the higher SS (like PD2.0 with my Rift CV1) its a considerable overhead. And you don't really need it with the reverb.

As for the clarity comments. I will say that there are alot of people that have misconfigured their reverbs, and early on the windows version 1903 had a bug in it which gave you much reduced clarity on the reverb. So I'd take those reports with a big grain of salt.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).