Pimax 5K+ DCS review and 2080ti benchmarks

*Rage*

A Discord we are all a part of.

Well sounds like he lived up to his UserID... :lol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well sounds like he lived up to his UserID... :lol:

Nah, he was very complimentary of the 5K+ and spoke highly of how big of a step up it was from the Odyssey that he had owned previously...but at the end of the day he prefers the big 4K TV he plays on, with the pretty picture.

He will definitely be a challenging convert for the VR HMD makers, but given his desire to make the jump, perhaps Gen 3 can get him over that hurdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

have u tried kegeteys vr shader mod? its awesome with the rift got 15 fps more, would be interesting if its relevant for the pimax too

It should be since the pimax has so many more pixels to deal with. The very wide FOV means that a good portion of them are outside of the cone that you can actually slew your eyeballs to, so cutting down the quality on that part of the display should be a no-brainer.

It should be since the pimax has so many more pixels to deal with. The very wide FOV means that a good portion of them are outside of the cone that you can actually slew your eyeballs to, so cutting down the quality on that part of the display should be a no-brainer.

Let's hope we see ED's promised VR improvements soon, as the Kegetys mod has quite a lot of issues that stops people - myself included - from using it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Let's hope we see ED's promised VR improvements soon, as the Kegetys mod has quite a lot of issues that stops people - myself included - from using it.

I haven't tried it, but I'm partly afraid to due to updates breaking it and having to deal with that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I haven't tried it, but I'm partly afraid to due to updates breaking it and having to deal with that.

That's not really an issue. The mod is easy to uninstall/install. Like all mods, it's always best to uninstall before any updates.

In this case there are 3 simple steps to install:

1) copy the files to the appropriate location (best to use OvGME)

2) rename the folders mentioned in the mod readme

3) delete the contents of your fxo and metashader2 folders in 'Saved Games'.

That is it. Just reverse the steps to reinstall. As I said, use OvGME as it makes step 1) and the reverse easy because it backs up any files it replaces.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for this detailed review. Any more updates now that you've had it for a couple of weeks? How's the readability of things like the gauges, radar, and MFDs?

Hi. Sorry for forgetting to post here again. Since I only really fly MP I tend to be alot more active in the various MP discords rather than here on the forums.

In essence after a few weeks I went back to my TV. It was a tough decision. I rejected the SO almost immeadiately whereas the 5K+ took me a few weeks before the honeymoon wore off and I felt that I still wanted more. Ive no doubt that for existing VR users though it won't be anything other than a big step up.

Three other points are worth considering which swayed my choice.

1) I was offered alot of money for my headset.

2) Wearing the headset and (closed cup) earphones meant that I was pretty isolated from the rest of the house. Potentially useful, but with a 3 year old and another baby imminent that doesn't quite work for me. I could have got around it with "ring-fenced" flying time but that would have limited my play time even more.

3) I also backed an 8KX. So all is not lost :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I look forward to your 8k review. Did you ever look at the oddesy+? Im cosidering the SO+ or 5k in the 9 month time frame depending on how they shake out with DCS.

Surprisingly, mine showed up today. Should be able to get to it by next mid next week - I hope. For reference, my KS was 3,000 something. Very low 3,000s.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Anyone here getting the OLED version? I’m curious about the image quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

My 5K+ preorder email says shipment towards the end of February. I preordered last week.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Hi. I have Pimax 5k+ 1 month ago. I like to try DCS and... it could be great BUT... fps is very poor. Therefore I can't recommend to fly with DCS. We need DCS to improve their code to have better VR. The only flight simulator for VR at the moment to really enjoy it is FS2 AEROFLY. I can have 90fps. I really need those 90fps to enjoy flying. The smoothness is a must otherwise I don't feel I'm flying. We also need no parallel projection, foveated rendering and hopefully DLSS.

CPU 5GHZ OC - 2080TI

Just got mine, and i have to say that it is great. Restored my faith in the whole VR-thing again. Only have a 1080. framerates are to low, but it helps to fly slow aircraft (messerspit) as opposed to fast jets.

All in all the 5k+ is so good, it will get me back into flight sims again. Huge fun, cant wait to try again.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

I was impressed by Tyriel Woods' YouTube video of a thru-the-lens comparison of pimax vs vive pro vs odyssey resolution .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just got mine, and i have to say that it is great. Restored my faith in the whole VR-thing again. Only have a 1080. framerates are to low, but it helps to fly slow aircraft (messerspit) as opposed to fast jets.

All in all the 5k+ is so good, it will get me back into flight sims again. Huge fun, cant wait to try again.

The KA50 would be good option if into helicopters.

Not really into helicopters (the way I fly them gives me nausea:) However I get decent frame rates in areas that have few trees and buildings to render. The game is totally playable on my 1080. Sadly, I think, upgrading the gpu will see little effect. The limitation for this game is the cpu, and I think we will have to wait for ED to upgrade the graphics engine to see major improvements.

In the past I got some flak here at this forum because I said no current vr headset was a "threshold system"

The 5k+ has 2 MAJOR improvements on previous headsets:

In the past I complained that "the bubble of clear view" or sweet spot was too small.

This made it difficult to track a target, as you had to keep the target within a narrow area of the headset to follow it.

The sweet spot on the 5k+ is HUGE compared to the other alternatives.

The field of view is also as we know much better on the 5k+, and when you combine the two, you have a headset that is superior in every way when it comes to dogfights, the most fun part of flight sims for me.

So now instead of playing the game once a month, I try and get a flight in as soon as I can get the time.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Not really into helicopters (the way I fly them gives me nausea:) However I get decent frame rates in areas that have few trees and buildings to render. The game is totally playable on my 1080. Sadly, I think, upgrading the gpu will see little effect. The limitation for this game is the cpu, and I think we will have to wait for ED to upgrade the graphics engine to see major improvements.

In the past I got some flak here at this forum because I said no current vr headset was a "threshold system"

In the past I complained that "the bubble of clear view" or sweet spot was too small.

This made it difficult to track a target, as you had to keep the target within a narrow area of the headset to follow it.

The field of view is also as we know much better on the 5k+, and when you combine the two, you have a headset that is superior in every way when it comes to dogfights, the most fun part of flight sims for me.

So now instead of playing the game once a month, I try and get a flight in as soon as I can get the time.

Yea I give you a lot **** back then if I remember correctly glad it worked out for you :thumbup:

This is the type of review that gets me motivated to fly VR again.

That's true of 2D in DCS, but in VR, GPU makes a significant difference in how much stuff you can turn up. The first upgrade I did after getting my Rift was to upgrade my GPU from a 980ti to a 1080ti. Didn't change anything else in my machine, and the difference was night and day. Shortly after that, I upgraded the CPU from a 5960X to an 8700K, and the performance is roughly the same. That part isn't necessarily a fair comparison though, because the 5960X and 8700K are pretty closely matched in the areas that DCS seems to run in. But, in VR, GPU made a big difference with the same CPU.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Got my Pimax 5K+ too. It looks great in DCS, but performance is quite bad. And I'm talking about machine that is still in 3Dmark Hall of Fame (means in the top100 in the world) on Fire Strike Ultra in single GPU category (my score is 9455), for several months now. So, something need to be done about optimization for those new generation VR's to work properly in DCS.

Edited by Lehmen

Got my Pimax 5K+ too. It looks great in DCS, but performance is quite bad. And I'm talking about machine that is still in 3Dmark Hall of Fame (means in the top100 in the world) on Fire Strike Ultra in single GPU category (my score is 9455), for several months now. So, something need to be done about optimization for those new generation VR's to work properly in DCS.

Can you post your specs? So others can compare?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1