F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

38 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

Just making double sure cause once I get this thing angled correctly I won't be able to go back and change it lol...

People already invented wheels and adjustable seat angle mounts among stuff 😉

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ejection seats are basically metal/plastic containers with a thin butt cushion, like wooden chair with one of those tie-on butt pads:

Winston+Porter+Chair+Pad+15.5''+W+x+15.5

543ab03cc9061b0124421fbb2e2b955a.jpg

I hacked up a cheap racing seat for now but eventual plan would be a GRU-7 repro. Racing seats aren't a bad base but most ejection seats have no bolsters and as said, the seat and backs are solid containers for survival items and parachutes and such.

• Like 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Heya @PSYKOnz.

I can get it for you tonight, I'm away from my PC at the moment. Just checking you are tracking it has an curved profile in the foward/aft axis prior to mounting to the stick? The sticks roll axis is also around a centre bearing as well. 

I've attached a few screen grabs from my phone to show you what I mean in the interim.

Screenshot_20221119-150647_Fusion 360.jpg

Screenshot_20221119-145545_Fusion 360.jpg

Sorr of thinking more like is the stock angle veritical or is it reclined back towards the pilot, not so much the kink in it but the actual handle at the top, ie is it like this | or like this / or like \ and if it is like \ is that 5degrees backwards,  talking about the grip its self not the whole stick assembly 

I don't feel that I'm making much sense right now, but hopefully you can figure me out haha, also no rush, when you get there is when you get there

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

update on my desk pit, getting closer

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i'm new here. I own the game from the start but ATM i did only do 4h of playing the game for now.

I'm working on a 3d version of the pit, a combination of the 3D file and some rework in CAD. I will be making my pit by 3d printing in modules.

I have a 3d printer with a printing size of 40x40x36. Also i have a 3060 cnc machine.

I love to see how it all evolves here, everyone is doing a great job, and lovely to see the different approches.

The CNC will be more useful to you. The plates are Engraved clear acrylic painted white then black on an aluminum base plate with backlights. Only 3d print weird, specialized shapes if you can manage.  Bend Sheet metal or foam core where you can. With that size printer, knobs and such. And the analog dials mostly.

Edited by RustBelt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

G'day everyone, hope your Christmas break has been productive. 

Rosariovw, that's looking phenomenal mate. I'd love some of those stls if that's ok. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. 

So I've finally had the time to get back into the shed and do some more on my pit. The frame minus bog and paint is mostly done. I've just got two more skins to finish of the canopy frame. 

How did everyone else design their panels? I was thinking of counting dzus rail holes but that seems tedious. 

If anyone has access to the dimensions of the canopy jettison handle that would be fantastic, I'll release the plans for it once I have some better dimensions for it. 

Many thanks to all for your help so far with this. 

Mumbles. 

received_1346205009252915.jpeg

received_460307316120016.jpeg

received_1190304808519962.jpeg

received_542876661097080.jpeg

received_1887304838273097.jpeg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, AusMumbles said:

G'day everyone, hope your Christmas break has been productive. 

Rosariovw, that's looking phenomenal mate. I'd love some of those stls if that's ok. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. 

So I've finally had the time to get back into the shed and do some more on my pit. The frame minus bog and paint is mostly done. I've just got two more skins to finish of the canopy frame. 

How did everyone else design their panels? I was thinking of counting dzus rail holes but that seems tedious. 

If anyone has access to the dimensions of the canopy jettison handle that would be fantastic, I'll release the plans for it once I have some better dimensions for it. 

Many thanks to all for your help so far with this. 

Mumbles. 

received_1346205009252915.jpeg

received_460307316120016.jpeg

received_1190304808519962.jpeg

received_542876661097080.jpeg

received_1887304838273097.jpeg

Mumbles you magnificent bastard that looks amazing and is bringing back some great memories of working in the shed on my own. Damn I miss it and am looking forward to the day when I can build it again! 

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Found some odds and ends people may find useful

POINTER DIAL KNOB
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291002794833

Large TACAN dial

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254121733878

ACM Switch guard
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292442331877

Honeywell square top toggle switch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293134827499

I got my square bat switches today, they are brand new still sealed in package from October of 1983.
So glad I finally found some, trying to 3d print tops for standard switches that aren't too chunky, don't slip and don't break was a bit of a ball ache
PXL_20230111_204057537.jpg
PXL_20230111_204107929.jpg

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 4

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

image.png
I've never been so excited to buy a toggle switch, I've been looking for these things for several years at a reasonable price

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Peps!

LASooner, great find man. I've done some ordering from the store. While poking around in the listings, I found this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293015393938?hash=item4439141692:g:H2MAAOSwTXdckleO

It's almost a match for the left windshield annunciator minus the Auto Throttle light and lense colour on the bottom 3 lights. 

Any guess on the Jet? I know it's a Grumman part from 78 so I was thinking A-6 but it in my very short search I couldn't find it anything on the dash that matches. 

If anyone has a laser cutter they could cut 3 replacement parts in acrylic and have an authentic Grumman part in their pit.

I got to see a Real F-14D for the first time a few days ago. Shes a big bird!

Mumbles. 

20230121_162855.jpg

• Like 3

Dear gentlemen (and perhaps ladies),

I am trying to build an F14 simpit for VR as well. It should complete the setup for my DIY G-Seat in the end.

So long story short, I tried to get into CAD, 3d printing, metal amd wood-workand all the rest tbats needed.

I really enjoy reading about your progress. At the same time I know, that my pit willnever reach the level of Mumbles, LAsooner or Gunslinger (what a genius..)

Anyway, I did some basic work for the cockpit and I wanted to share my experience and ideas so far, if needed.

As I could not find a suitable ACM panel and an emergency wing sweep with the push/pull,I designed it by myself.

Please take into account, that these things are still prototypes till the pit is alive and, for example, the size of the lever is not final!

I am trying to design the pit with its panels and the seat to a level, that all of it comes together and is usable in VR.

Further more, my pit should mainly be reflecting the F14, but also house a collective for helicopters and MFDs for other, more modern planes.

I will share my CAD files and ideas for the construction as the project comes alive.

Cheerio, Ragnaroek

IMG-20230125-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20230125-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20230125-WA0022.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

FInished the front panels

• Like 2

All looking amazing folks!  I'm midway through solving whether I want to go full F-14 or hybrid Horncat pit.  It's not hard to mix the two for VR purposes at least, left and right upper consoles can easily fit everything for both, but I'm trying to work out a scheme for making the wingsweep and flap handles work with the WinWing Hornet throttle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Gents,

Hope everyone is keeping well. Just thought I would post some progress of the laser cut parts I'm working on this weekend. I've pretty much finished the Caution Advisory Indicator design.  

It's a bit of a hail mary but I'm thinking about trying to get a run on digital EIG cluster from the B model made with a custom PCB and screen. If its achievable I'll ship them to anyone building a Turkey pit for cost price. 

Bit of an aside but I'm getting some more of the details on the seat finished up. I'm looking for a high quality image of the seat pre-flight checklist on the left side of the seat headrest so I can make it up as a part of vinyl sticker pack. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mumbles

F-14B Panels + Laser Cut Parts.jpg

gru7ahead.jpg

Labels.jpg

Edited by AusMumbles
Added Images
  • Like 5