Odyssey + Consolidated Settings April '19

Nagilem

Just to report back. With single player game, Free Flight mission for example, frame rate is 45+, sometimes could even hit some 80 or 90 temporarily. But once I get into MP server (Hoggit GAW), it goes back to around 30. VRAM is maxed out at 99%(11GB) while GPU is only at 60%. Turned Visibility Range from Ultra to High, FPS rose by about 5-8, GPU utilization up by some 10-20%.

Seems VRAM is the limiting factor...

Also noticed there are nearly 16 GB of Shared GPU Memory as I can see from the Performance page of Task Manager, however, it seems has never been used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

I formerly had the video in 200% in steam, I put it back to 100% and PD to 1.3 seems to improve the frame rates some and the picture quality did not suffer, rather there is a bit more crispness to it...

Does anybody tweak anything on the steam side of things anymore?

I formerly had the video in 200% in steam, I put it back to 100% and PD to 1.3 seems to improve the frame rates some and the picture quality did not suffer, rather there is a bit more crispness to it...

Does anybody tweak anything on the steam side of things anymore?

Steam at 100% and DCS PD at 1.3 is the sweet spot for the Odyssey+. Dont get why people try to go higher with these settings. The image gets too fuzzy.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Steam at 100% and DCS PD at 1.3 is the sweet spot for the Odyssey+. Dont get why people try to go higher with these settings. The image gets too fuzzy.

Because a few of us run Vega's, the image does improve beyond 1.3 on one.

• 1 month later...

Hi Nagilem,

Have you updated any settings since the last update? Just wondering. Your settings have helped me a lot. THanks for your hard work.

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

Actually I have -

What I have found with my tinkering is this -

I only do post processing stuff (MSAA and AF) in DCS because changes in SS in DCS stutters and ghosts really badly for me. I moved the SS to SteamVR since that is also where the Reprojection is happening.

So my current settings that are working fantastically are:

NVidia

MFAA on

Power set to Performance

All else pretty much default (FXAA and AF off or redirected to the application)

WMR

90hz

Visual quality set to VERY HIGH BETA

SteamVR

Motion Reprojection set to Auto (set in the default.vrsettings file) https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234

SteamSS set to 200%

Nothing else really set here other than turn off the dev SS

DCS

Textures high *except the water which is medium

Shadows both flat

MSAA x2

AF at 8

No grass, half trees

Preload max

Object distance high

Most everything else is turned off or low

PD set to 1.0 - you either set it in DCS or Steam. I choose Steam since that works better for me with reprojection. ALOT LESS GHOSTING and Artifacts.

Everything else to taste ;)

I can consistently get 45 frames flying downtown Dubai and only very occasional stutters with everything looking crisp and not jaggy.

One other thing I did was to install Process Lasso to fix DCS CPU Affinity problems. This fixed those weird out of the blue stutters (CPU >30% AVG with GPU in 70% range and are smooth 95% of the time).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3947114&postcount=1573

Let me know what you think!

perf-1a.png

perf-1b.png

settings1.png

settings3.png

settings2.png

settings4.png

settings6.png

settings5.png

Edited by Nagilem
Added images

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Actually I have -

What I have found with my tinkering is this -

I only do post processing stuff (MSAA and AF) in DCS because changes in SS in DCS stutters and ghosts really badly for me. I moved the SS to SteamVR since that is also where the Reprojection is happening.

So my current settings that are working fantastically are:

NVidia

MFAA on

Power set to Performance

All else pretty much default (FXAA and AF off or redirected to the application)

WMR

90hz

Visual quality set to VERY HIGH BETA

SteamVR

Motion Reprojection set to Auto (set in the lua file)

SteamSS set to 200%

DCS

Textures high *except the water which is medium

Shadows both flat

MSAA x2

AF at 8

No grass, half trees

Preload max

Object distance high

Most everything else is turned off or low

PD set to 1.0 - you either set it in DCS or Steam. I choose Steam since that works better for me with reprojection. ALOT LESS GHOSTING and Artifacts.

Everything else to taste ;)

I can consistently get 45 frames flying downtown Dubai and only very occasional stutters with everything looking crisp and not jaggy.

One other thing I did was to install Process Lasso to fix DCS CPU Affinity problems. This fixed those weird out of the blue stutters (CPU >30% AVG with GPU in 70% range and are smooth 95% of the time).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3947114&postcount=1573

Let me know what you think!

perf-1a.png

perf-1b.png

settings1.png

settings3.png

settings2.png

settings4.png

settings6.png

settings5.png

Great.

I will experiment with this settings and see.

Thanks for sharing.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Went ahead and tried those settings briefly on my rig. Still about 30FPS in the F14B on Through The Inferno MP server with Single Player being in the 40s.

Rig:

Intel 9900k OC'd to 5GHz all core (4.8 with AVX offset)

MSI 2080 Seahawk EK OC'd (don't remember clock speed but memory is 8k mhz)

32gbb of DDR4 3400MHz RAM

NVME SSD for install

Headset is an O+ obviously.

Would be nice to have that VR update.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

Yup - sounds about right for a 2080 card. You can dial back the SS to 160% and still get a pretty great experience. I am using 200% to test out driving HP reverb level pixels. @180, I was getting better performance with no stuttering or micro judders. Even at 150% or 160% it should look pretty darn good. That may give your 2080 a bit more headroom to keep up.

That's where I would start first. I'd leave the rest in place. Also, do be sure to look at the Process Lasso piece, that did help my stutters caused by processor affinity issues with DCS on my CPU. basically Process Lasso sets the CPU to single cpu no Hyper threading, and pushes the priority of the DCS.exe to higher in the stack.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Yup - sounds about right for a 2080 card. You can dial back the SS to 160% and still get a pretty great experience. I am using 200% to test out driving HP reverb level pixels. @180, I was getting better performance with no stuttering or micro judders. Even at 150% or 160% it should look pretty darn good. That may give your 2080 a bit more headroom to keep up.

That's where I would start first. I'd leave the rest in place. Also, do be sure to look at the Process Lasso piece, that did help my stutters caused by processor affinity issues with DCS on my CPU. basically Process Lasso sets the CPU to single cpu no Hyper threading, and pushes the priority of the DCS.exe to higher in the stack.

I'll look into the Process Lasso stuff. For now I'm looking at system usage stuff and NOTHING it's maxed. I have one CPU core hovering between 50-70% usage. That caused me to look at GPU usage, mostly hovering around 30%-40% usage with spikes into the 80s. Memory is mostly maxed out, but that isn't surprising. I'll go through and delete the "common" folders post patch and see what happens... not holding my breath for any improvements given the resource utilization oddity. Also dumped the game settings to the VR preset to see what would change and I see a drop in frame time but FPS still around 30 on the ground at Sochi on the 107th TTI server.

Needless to say, this VR experience has been less than fun. The gains in immersion are almost not worth it...

Too Many Modules to List

I know what you mean.

On process lasso - my cpu was not showing over 10% either but I still had stutters.

I hope you get it sorted ASAP

I wonder if you could try something new with your Dubai test? I do the same test but with a F14B. I monitor the FPS with the in game counter (right control + pause). I stay at 45fps 95% of the time when flying around Dubai, when I fly low downtown I hold 45fps. When I get to the end of the row of skyscrapers flying south I do a hard left hand turn low over the small buildings back to head north. At this point if I look 90 degrees left while in the low sharp banking turn basically looking directly at the roof tops of the small buildings I drop to 36-44fps. As soon as I straighten up flying north I'm right back at 45fps. I wonder if you can produce the same experience?

8700k 5.0 HT off

1080ti

O+ @ 212%

32GB 4000 C18

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

@Delta - I've had the counter up for those kinds of turns over those small buildings and yes, I do get a small FPS drop when I look at them or turn over them. Usually in the vicinity of 2-4 FPS. Lots of calculations for those polys going on, so I chock that up to the complexity of the game.

What I look for is tearing, smearing or consistent micro stuttering. For me, the FPS drop doesn't seem to result in a noticeable hiccup.

Actually I have -

SteamVR

Motion Reprojection set to Auto (set in the lua file)

SteamSS set to 200%

Where do you set the motion reprojection. I am not aware of any .lua files in SteamVR?

@Delta - I've had the counter up for those kinds of turns over those small buildings and yes, I do get a small FPS drop when I look at them or turn over them. Usually in the vicinity of 2-4 FPS. Lots of calculations for those polys going on, so I chock that up to the complexity of the game.

What I look for is tearing, smearing or consistent micro stuttering. For me, the FPS drop doesn't seem to result in a noticeable hiccup.

Ahh interesting data! The Reverb is coming in tomorrow so I'll report back doing the same test!

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

I enabled motion reprojection and lost fps, Disabled and I get steady 45 now with the best visuals I can get, whereas with it on, it would be all over the place.

PD 1.0

SS in steamvr 250%

MSAA 2x

AF 16x (dropped to 8x and didn't notice a difference so it stays)

Preload max

trees half

grass half

Textures high

MFD res: 1024

water medium

Depth of Field standard

Shadows lowest setting

Best I can remember without looking at it. But I found upping the SS in steamvr and lowering the PD in DCS gave better results than just upping PD in DCS. The gauges seem much clearer this way. Sure I could probably tweek a bit more but right now I'm happy...just wish the MFDs were clearer. Not sure I can do much with that even at the cost of fps

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

@fu - Yeah, I noticed the same thing. SteamVR ss much more stable, and less artifact producing than PD in DCS.

I am a bit surprised by the reprojection issues you're having. For me, no repro = hot GPU and a lot of smearing and micro-stuttering when I maneuver the plane. I test this by looking 45-70 degrees out of the cockpit while slow rolling left or right over something like Dubai or Sochi. I look for the buildings to stay smooth looking and the trees not flickering. For me that is the best compromise.

You are at a higher StreamVR value than me, so that may be why you keep clipping under 45 frames. Assuming 212% equals a res of ~2000x2500 (estimated), the card is rendering ~10m pixels. 250% is 16% larger, which means you are drawing ~1.6m pixels more per cycle. That is ALOT to ask from the card @ 90hz, even with an average FPS of 45-50.

It's still a decision of compromises unfortunately. Glad to hear its working for you though.

So I played around a bit more and it appears that my "issues" surrounding FPS is entirely related to Script Intensive MP servers like the 107th's Through the Inferno server... in SP, even most SP missions, the issue is nearly eliminated... I still get some ~30FPS drops when looking at the Stennis' Bridge in the F-14 (combination of RIO pit + Stennis wires probably) using the Stinger's PLAT CAM+LSO Landing mission but for the most part, it's 45 FPS or higher. Heck, doing some of the Huey missions was almost a nauseating experience because of how overly smooth things were. The Oil Rig landing mission... 60 FPS fairly consistently, but it's a simple mission in it's entirety with nothing running in the background. Jump onto TTI and it's back down into the mid 30's and upper 20's... Don't think there is much I can do about that sadly! :(

Too Many Modules to List

@Whiskey11 - I haven't played on TTI servers myself since I am in a wing and we fly more specific wing missions. Like you I have found issues with overly scripted missions though - both local and MP.

So many of the servers are hosted in residential areas with varying bandwidths that can make for all kinds of unique issues.

I am glad to hear that its working SP for you though.